Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

The Collectors Market in Modeling

Guest styrenedemon

Guest styrenedemon

I remembered almost buying Kagero's Spitfire Mk IX book a couple of years ago, but because I had no intention at the time of doing the Tamiya kit, and there was no really stellar 48th kit at the time, I decided against it. 

So, last night I was googlin' to see if I could track one down and there were two (I think) listed on Amazon at $150 plus!! I did wind up finding a couple others somewhere around the original price on ebay I think, but this got me to thinking about the collectors market in modeling. It really is hard for someone like me who just wants to build the kits that come out that I like without worrying about putting glue to something that could demand high prices down the road. There are a few Kagero books on the shelves right now I'd like to have for future projects...but....how can I cut into the decals knowing they aren't going to be around and someone may be willing to plop down for them in the future?

I have a Cyber Hobby DAK Tiger that I can't look at because I started work on it not knowing it was going to become a freaking Holy Grail of sorts.

I've also recently learned that WNW doesn't plan to pop out their subjects non-stop. At least that's the impression I got from a post made by Dave J in a thread at another forum. Maybe that's changed. But now I don't know that I'd want to build one if I did order it. I really want to take a crack at a Fokker and Albatross at minimumThe, but in the back of my head I'm thinking "gee these could be a gold mine some day."

It's super annoying because I'd be much happier if there were no collectors market in the hobby. That way I could just build the kits I buy and not have to freak about it possibly one day being worth something. 

Guest styrenedemon

The idea of having ANYTHING in a collection that cant be used turns me right off.

It would be like buying a Ferrari just to keep in the garage and never take it out on the road. I never see a model kit as a potential investment, that side just holds no appeal to me whatsoever. That said I am very aware that some OOP kits do fetch serious money.

Model kits are made to be built, end of, if i wanted something purely to look at and collect i guess i would go down the diecast route.

Martin.

That's exactly how I feel. I don't have any interest in trying to build up a stash of future collectibles. I want to buy kits to build, and yeah maybe buying a couple of boxing a of things that may likely one day be valuable would be a good way to avoid anguishing over it, I'm just not that forward thinking when I buy models.

Just look at the WNW Hansa... When they were in stock they were going for US$89 now on ebay you will be lucky to get one for US$250 + shipping!

Personally... I would buy two.. one to build and one to keep!

• Members

Just look at the WNW Hansa... When they were in stock they were going for US$89 now on ebay you will be lucky to get one for US$250 + shipping!

Personally... I would buy two.. one to build and one to keep!

Dave,

Do you guys have any intention of doing further runs of kits that have sold out?  I've seen the hysteria before, the 1/72 Revell Ar 555 was going for stupid prices on ebay and then Revell decided to roll it out again.  All those guys that forked out $100 for a $25 kit probably felt a little silly.

It's an expensive way of loft-isolation.

Kits are meant to be built. Had a discussion with someone about it at the museum a while go. A Selection

Of unbuilt kits had been donated (very old airfix,frog etc). One of our volunteers (many modellers) said we

Had to keep them safe because they were valuable. I said build them. His face was shocked with horror.

I thought something, not worth repeating here hehheh.

Cees

• Members

The only hobby that I've profited from by selling stuff second hand was D&D.  I had an extensive collection of old, long OOP relics that I sold off at sometimes ridiculous prices.  Models?  Lucky to get half of what I paid for them in most cases.  A kit is usually going to get replaced by something newer or better at some point so I collect to build not to hang on to in hopes that it will be worth something someday.

Guest styrenedemon

My posting above about the Stack (or Stash-) Market was intended to shed some ironic light on this subject. As is my habit.

But really, I feel that any modeller who tries to sell a kit for more than the original price to another modeller thereby voluntarily steps out of the modelling fraternity.

I have seen it on this forum as well, and I will never ever spend money on a kit knowing that the original price was 4 or 5 times lower when originally bought. No matter how rare this kit might have become. And I have difficulty regarding modellers who ask these prices as a friend or fellow modeller.

The only exceptions to this rule are those who made catering to our hobby-needs their livelyhood, and who depend on this hobby for their income.

They should be protected and honored.

George

I think I probably agree with you philosophically. I think if someone like you or I wants Kit X its because we want to build it. When you find someone selling it for 5x the original price it's a little frustrating because that seller is likely a modeler and has likely been in a situation similar to the one they are putting you in, so yeah, out of a "modelers code" I'd be upset.

That being said...I do have a degree in economics...and that's just not how it works...sadly moral philosophy and economics don't mix...unless you're Marx.

Guest styrenedemon

@Styrenedemon - The 'Modeler's Code' is what this Forum is all about. So this is what you may want to expect, even from it's members.

A Forum is a meeting place with fellows for sharing one's ideas or work.

Economics belong in a market-place. And moral philosophy is supposed to keep it there.

I told you it was simple..

Very true. I have noticed that when forum members post things for sale they've usually asked fair prices. Well, the established and active members. If yourself of DoogsATX, or any of the other regular members post something it's safe to assume the price will be fair in relation to street price. However, now and again a drive by member will post smothering for sale that's not within that "fair" boundary. But that's another story entirely.

The best part of good forums like this one is the civility among the members in these interactions. Take Grant for example. He offers discounts to SPAR members. He doesn't have to do that, but it makes more than just good business sense; it's just being a good person offering a break to individuals with a common interest.

My sales territory included the Mid Atlantic and Southeast.  I picked up my first 21st Century plane 1:32 in 2002.  They were pretty cool.  During my travels and when I had time I would visit the local WalMart and Target and would pic up some of the latest releases or another with a scheme I liked.  Most of the time I'd never open them.  With exceptions of ones I'd used for "History Presentations" at a local school and conferences where our company had a vendor set up and or I was a presenter.   Usually my presentations were on Silk Road, Lewis & Clark (Bitteroot), 13 Colonies (Western Boundaries NY,PA,MD,VA,NC,SC,GA Dictated by the Appalachian Mountains), American War Between The States (High Ground at Gettysburg) and WWII (Nazi Germany's 2 Front War) using our student centered technology or hand on materials and always focused on geography and it impact.

My job was selling Social studies curriculum materials so I met lots of History Teachers/History Directors at the district and site based level.   I was fortunate (call it savvy sales skills) to develop good professional relationships with several who had an interest in WWII Aviation and of course the American War Between The States (I was raised in Gettysburg).  Lots of times I would give the planes away to "decision makers".  A $15 toy got me more mileage than a $30 lunch. 

After a few years of picking up more and more of these planes as "giveaways" I had an inventory of almost 30 planes.  Remember this was several years of "hording".  Then the news of 21st Century going belly up I started picking up more planes purely as give-aways to my customers and at conferences

I also picked up 48 1:32 Sherman Firefly tanks for $100.

Before I knew it I had over 70 planes and a crapload of armour.  1:32 and 1:18 scale.   Then in 2010 I started unloading on eBay to finance my return to scale modeling.  Hoping to get about $25 or $30 for the 1:32's most sold for over $40 and several sold for $70 and I unloaded an opened 1:18 P47 for $130.  To say the least I was stunned and some of the bidding battles which took place on these planes.  Those Firefly tanks? Cost barely $2 each and sold every one for at least $15 several for $30 each. 

I never really planned this as a Collectors Market.  It just happened that way.  My return to scale modeling was completely financed through the sale of my 21st Century planes and armour.  I only have 2 planes left and my kids have them.

My stash has several duplicates and I am planning to build most.  However, I have a few extras I have no plan on build and will unload them when the value increases.

Whew!  Sorry guys for longwinded reply.  This is an interesting topic.

Guest styrenedemon

Wow. See I wouldn't mind at all if kits in my stash became in high demand while waiting to be built. If I buy a kit now for $60 and throw it in the pile and a few years from now its worth three times that I'll have no problem unloading it to back more purchases.

Interestign topic indeed, when you look at it from various angles, there are some pros and cons. Bottom line is, in my opinion, with what

intention is one selling kits;

-selling of to create space or invest the revenue into new acquisitions

-selling kits at as high a price possible without ever having the intention to build them in the first place

What do you think?
Cees

My reserve was on the low end or what I paid.  Those Firefly tanks retailed for $15 and I placed reserve at $5 and watched the fireworks.  All my planes I reserved exactly what I paid...then watch the "Carp go for the crackers".