Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Chinese/Japanese type 94 tankette. Takom

I've been working on and off on this little tank for about a week now. I had

a little trouble hand painting the tires. The tamiya Flat black gave me a little trouble. Next time

I'll mask and airbrush the tires before assembly. I'll do this on the Takom panzer 1 ausf b. Anyway, here are some pictures.

IMG_20201218_2053057_rewind.jpg

IMG_20201218_2053271_rewind.jpg

IMG_20201218_2044445_rewind.jpg

• Like 6

Looking good in the green livery. I'm not sure, which green shade I will use for mine, but it will be a testbed for modulation. 
If you are not satisfied with the look of your rubber wheels, there's always the possibility to weather them heavily, giving them a dusty or muddy look and weathering armor is pure fun.
I started mine too a while ago, but left the bogeys unassembled for better painting the rubber on the wheels. 

IMG_7668.thumb.JPG.fa97151a087f8068caa149507d007c62.JPG

Greetings from my Chinese tanker, on my Tankette, it's time for preparing the paintjob.

IMG_7692.thumb.JPG.4e9fc928368abf8a15094f0601867cc0.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I should have left the bogies unassembled as you did for painting. painting them

that way would have prevented a lot of trouble. I chose Tamiya Nato green for my model.

I'm not sure how much weathering I'll do on this model as ,frankly, I really don't have those skills right now. I would like to try chipping techniques but I'm not sure what colors

to use to achieve this.

Thanks;

Paul

here's a picture of PLA tank guy. Notice he's wearing the same uniform

as the figure in the Takom kit......but,........he doesn't appear to be as friendly!

c4faddf184ac98f5601b715bc8d0822c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great pic.
For weathering it always helps to study photos of the real thing. Not necessarily the same object, but what happens to materials / surfaces, which are exposed to sunlight, physical stress, like abrasion, bending, denting, chemical reactions, corrosion, ...
It helps to know something about the materials your subject is made of in reality. The Tankette would have been produced from rolled steel mainly, with some casted parts added. As the steel is happily corroding unprotected, there would have been primer and a coat of colour on it at least.
When chipping, you can use the base colour lightened up for scratches very superficial. Deeper scratches / chips will show the primer or even the bare or corroded metal, depending on how old the scratch marks are. Imagine, how the use will cause chipping, around the hatches and moving parts or areas were the users would walk on. You can vary the chips, because older scratches tend to soften a little, where new ones are sharp contured.
It's always best to study photos showing the different stages of chipping and weathering in real and plan ahead, how you will do it on your model. Knowledge about materials and using the imagination helps a lot.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, belugawhaleman said:

I should have left the bogies unassembled as you did for painting. painting them

that way would have prevented a lot of trouble. I chose Tamiya Nato green for my model.

I'm not sure how much weathering I'll do on this model as ,frankly, I really don't have those skills right now. I would like to try chipping techniques but I'm not sure what colors

to use to achieve this.

Thanks;

Paul

c4faddf184ac98f5601b715bc8d0822c.jpg

• Like 1

You’ll find that you get huge “bang for the buck” if you start with a tan dry brush. REALLY dry brush...barely any paint. It’s not necessary to go nuts with chipping and grime but a dry brush will accentuate details and edges in a way that makes the shape look like a miniature object and less like a model. Corners, raised rivets, edges and then fading and streaking from normal sun/rain exposure. Then consider it was driven largely on dirt roads so the tracks/wheels would always get dirty. Then some washes to accentuate lines, shadows and the areas of dirt that run off the machine when it gets rained on. Doesn’t need to look battle worn but the first week it gets left outside and driven on dirt and it will stop looking “fresh.”

672B0BC0-F1E5-4704-BEFB-093F66FE1A86.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 2:01 PM, belugawhaleman said:

Paul, just catching up, this is looking very good indeed, the figure is very good. 
For the weathering there is right or wrong answer, as Rob said study pics, video etc. I use acrylic based washes etc and pigments in diluted with distilled water, if I looks wrong wash it off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Paul, just catching up, this is looking very good indeed, the figure is very good. 
For the weathering there is right or wrong answer, as Rob said study pics, video etc. I use acrylic based washes etc and pigments in diluted with distilled water, if I looks wrong wash it off. 

Thanks, the model is now finished and is in the finished section. I did use Tamiya black and brown panel liner but these efforts disappeared under the flat coat.

• Like 2