The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Trumpeter 1/24th scale Spitfire MkV

Trumpeter's 1/24th scale Spitfire MkV was an interesting build. Out of the box, there's lots wrong but thankfully Grey Matter provide replacement stabilisers (the kit's are moulded fabric-covered), new exhausts and a new seat (but you have the make the armour plate yourself). I also added a few bits to the engine such as the cowling fasteners, as well as the prominent coolant pipework on the right side of the engine running back from the header tank that's completely missing in the kit. The colours of the decals were well off too, so Techmod came to the rescue here. 

It's a shame is has so many niggles as it's a kit that goes together really well with no filler needed. Surface details are fairly good, and overall it was a really fun build. I think it probably has the edge over the ancient Airfix kit, but sadly you need to invest a few extra quid if you want an accurate 1/24th Spit.

Best wishes to all,

Tom

DSC_0221.JPG

DSC_0223.JPG

DSC_0225.JPG

DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0229.JPG

DSC_0230.JPG

DSC_0232.JPG

DSC_0235.JPG

DSC_0237.JPG

DSC_0241.JPG

DSC_0243.JPG

DSC_0245.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

DSC_0249.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nice build, Tom. Well done !

However, if I may, the LG legs are at a strange angle compared to the original. I’d say you have glued them too « vertical » viewed from the profile.

Great result nevertheless :thumbsup2: !

Hubert

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Nice build, Tom. Well done !

However, if I may, the LG legs are at a strange angle compared to the original. I’d say you ave glued them too « vertical » viewed from the profile.

Great result nevertheless :thumbsup2: !

Hubert

Thanks Hubert. 

The earlier single stage Merlin variants have significantly less forward rake than the later twin-stage Merlin variants, but nevertheless I agree the angle is slightly too vertical. Unfortunately, other than doing major surgery to the mountings within the wing, this is how it comes in the box...

All the best,

Tom

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...