The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HORRIFIC FLOODING AND STORM DAMAGE

Peterpools

The Tri State Area around NYC received record rainfall and horrendous flooding from the remnants of Hurricane Ida and the path from Louisiana and Mississippi where the hurricane came ashore to NYC, Long Island, New Jersey and southern Connecticut were all devastated from the storm and the worst of all, so far 40 people lost their lives. We have never experienced such flooding and record rain and then add in relentless winds, as it was as bad or worse then Hurricane Sandy a decade ago. Hurricanes and tropical storms have been getting more and more intense the past few years due to global warming and whatever.

Where we live on Long Island, our area was spared the worse but just a few miles from us are under water.

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

• Peterpools changed the title to HORRIFIC FLOODING AND STORM DAMAGE

Peter, saw this on the news this morning. I'm glad to hear that you're high and dry. 

My aunt is in Queens but haven't heard from her family yet. I'll check with my folks as I'm sure they'll have been in touch. 

We had some heavy rain here a few days ago and some parts of the city flooded then but nothing like what NYC is experiencing.  There's a major highway that almost always floods these days but there's a huge infrastructure project  that recently started to help mitigate that in the future. 

Stay safe and same goes for your brother Joel. 

Carl

• Like 4

Thanks Carl

Any news on how your Aunt made out from the storm? Queens had it's share of flooding and damage but I haven't seen much on the news. Long island flooded out areas are bailing out water and assessing the damage which seems to be worse then Super Storm Sandy. Just a bad situation and the entire east coat of the country sustained major flooding and damage.

Please let us know how your Aunt is.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gaz

Ida was a horrible hurricane and then a horrific tropical storm as it moved up from the gulf coast to the northeast. The damage and flooding over this huge portion of the county just can’t be imagined and unprecedented. 
Diane and I were so lucky to escape the storm with no damage.

Peter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes it is bad, but I would like to pick you up on the statement that; hurricanes are getting worse because of global warming. There was a paper written a few years ago by one of the science academy's that the media and activists trumpeted and where much of this "hurricanes are getting worse" idea comes from, but the data they used was either flawed, or deliberately tampered with to arrive at the conclusion that hurricanes were getting worse. Long story short, they used data that removed any hurricane that did not cause economic damage. It was poor science and got thoroughly ripped apart. 

We face the same thing out here in Australia. We are constantly told that tropical cyclones are getting worse and more numerous, but a simple review of the numbers clearly indicates that the number of cyclones has gone down on average long with the number of severe ones. 

• Thanks 2

Brad

Who knows for sure but the hurricanes and tropical storms have been getting more numerous and powerful the last few years in our geographical area. We have never had so many reach the New York area with such intensity, damage and intense rain and wind with incredible flooding. I know there are two sides to every story and I am by no means an expert. I was just repeating what our Tri State area governments and news stations were saying. In any case, it's a disaster that we aren't use to dealing with on such a large scale.

Peter

• Like 3

Thank You Maru

Mother Nature has been wrecking havoc here in the states this past year from record high temperatures, forest fires out west to the hurricanes coming from the gulf to those heading directly to the east coast. I don't think much of the country has been spared from the extremes. 

Peter