The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Upcoming Me 163B from Meng

ArnieC

I have just seen this on facebook and it took me by surprise. I have seen a few years ago that Dragon would be comming out with one, but never seen it.

1236451_435481546571303_847859311_n.jpg

Does somebody know When this will be out?!

Cheers,

Arnold

• Like 2

Here is something that I (shamelessly) snagged from "another site":

"This 1:32 scale QS-001 Me-163B model kit is MENG’s first successful large scale aircraft project. The model is 178mm in length and 292mm in wingspan. This kit consists of 190 parts on 7 plastic sprues, 23 parts on 2 PE frets, 3 rubber tyres and 2 poly caps.

This QS-001 model faithfully replicates the small tail-less shape of Me-163B. Two different weapon systems, MG 151/20 and MK 108 are provided. Subassemblies like complete HWK 109-509A rocket engine, T-Stoff tank and ammunition box are included. Many hatches can be built either in open or closed position. Model fuselage breakdown refers to the structure of real aircraft. No cement is needed to join the front and rear parts of the fuselage. A support frame is provided to show interior details. Three painting schemes are provided."

• Like 1

Wonder how much it'll be...?

I had their Me410 and thought the surface details were a bit heavy handed in places... let's hope they ease off a bit. I wonder if there's any connection between MENG and Dragon...  ?

Look forward to seeing and probably buying a couple... another Hasegawa classic looks to be about to bow out....

Matt

• Administrators

I wonder if Meng acquired the molds (or at least the CAD) from Dragon and is releasing instead of them?

Doug

I'd wondered that. Perhaps there'll be clues on the sprues, or even the appearance of that Do 335 to prove it.

I suppose what I was really wondering was if Dragon had commissioned the Me 163 and Do 335 CAD to be done and then got cold feet or the designer 'defected'. I know it isn't beyond the realms of reason that MENG would take on a subject that had been announced by one of the 'heavies', but it wouldn't be the first time that one company's project ends up in someone else's box.....

Matt

• 1 month later...

I think that this is the first time a new-mold kit has been released while I was still trying to finish the old-mold version... :angry:

But I digress...

One thing I noted right off the bat: The clear section of the canopy and the canopy frame appear to be molded as separate pieces (ala' the mid-70's Revell 1/32 FW-190D). Assuming that the clear section is a precise fit with the frame, this obviates the need for canopy masking.

The inclusion of photo-etch belts and instrument panel is a nice touch, as are the Cartograf decals. The wing root-fuselage assembly looks to be an improvement over the gap-ridden butt-join of the old Hasegawa kit as well.

I like what I see!

Ed

• Administrators

Me 163; the FartFlea?

Or the flea that had Indian take-out yesterday...... Undergoing Gandhi's Revenge right now....

Yup! 

I love indian food and don't mind the Burning Ring of Fire the day after.

Just checked: my 163 has shipped! Bring it to papa!

• Like 2