The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Focke Wulf FW190A-8/R11

Matt_

Hello 

After my p*** poor showing in the last GB (scale crisis,,,,) I am going to join this with an FW in the 'one true scale'.

This'll be the Hasegawa FW190A-8 with Owl Models' rather nice conversion set to make the /R11 radar equipped night fighter.

9582916602_52cc8e2532_c.jpg

Matt
  • Like 1

Very nice.  Been reading FW190 Vol 2 (Smith/Creek) and I found the radar variants very interesting and wondered if any AM part were available.   Definite future reference for my Luftwaffe nightfighter plan (He219, Ju88G6).   Will be watching his one.

• 3 months later...

Yes...

Yes they do. Stay tuned for September 1st!

S :ph34r:

Hi Steve

What happened on Sept 1st..? Did I miss something? 

Anyway... I have finally shifted my butt into gear and have started cutting and gluing... nothing 'fancy' for this build... out of the (two) box(es)... :)

Pics when there's something worth looking at... everyone's pretty familiar with Hasegawa FW190s by now...

Matt

Spent last night struggling with the fit of the 'pit...  Anyone else notice how the fit of the panel and side consoles leaves a lot of space along cockpit walls?

I've cut the parts that hold the front of the assembly as it looks like they held everything too low. Fit better, but not great - although I suspect little is to be seen in there once it's all buttoned up.

Matt

Hey Matt...

What happened on Sept 1st..? Did I miss something? 

I was due to commence work on 'Fritz' Kraus' A6 for the start of the group build, but never actually got going. I have very strict parameters around which I must work when using plastic or resin due to their carcinogenic properties. However as the group build period is still only half way through, I'm still hoping to get this one done by the end of February.

Cheers,

Steve.

I'll take some photos over the weekend and post.

Needless to say this is no longer OOB... who was I kidding...? Progress is better than expected though. Noticed that there's a load of sinkmarks and lines on the upper wing on the kit I'm doing...so it's out with Mr Surfacer...  Still got to say that this kit does show its age a little in the cockpit area. The fit of instrument panel and side consoles against the fuselage is pretty loose, so I've done a little shimming - it was all very tight in the real aircraft...

Anyone have any tips regarding putting the wings on...? Assemble completely then attach to fuselage; glue lower wing to fus then uppers or uppers then lower....?

Matt

Matt,

The wing-to-lower-cowl interface can be a little hit and miss. For this reason alone I would recommend attaching both upper wings to the lower part first, and then mating that assembly to the fuselage. Remember to putty over the section on the wings that includes the wing root guns covers though, and oft missed detail.

S

Thanks for the advice Steve....

and at last, a photo or two...

11275263326_09802c6b4e_c.jpg

Opening with a crap photo of the portside canopy rail in position, This is a prominent feature on the 190 and I always try to model it if the canopy is open. Cut back the cockpit wall and glue in an 'L' shaped bit of plastic extrusion..

11275310443_94824f0455_c.jpg

Next the butchered cockpit. There was a void behind the pilot's seat, radio, stowage etc in there. So I separated the cockpit from the rear deck and have started to cut parts down to shape. Opened up the part in front of control column, added a map case, opened up hole for throttle friction control and last, but not least, added the FuG 217 radar scope, replacing the ammo counters.

11275289523_d79f532d92_c.jpg

Final photo is of the rather tasty Eagle Editions FW190 seat from their 190D cockpit (you get two - with and without belts). This really 'dresses up' the most visible element of the 190 'pit.

Better pics later when I get some paint on these parts.

Matt

• 3 months later...

Matt...

Just joined LSM. As an FW 190-aholic, I was immediately drawn to your night fighter build (my favorite 190 next to the A8/R2 version)...Really looked good until...we'll...it's like enjoying a drive down a road somewhere beautiful and coming to a sudden stop--no more road!!!

I'm not saying this as a criticism. Quite the contrary! I just want MORE--I recently saw this Owl conversion and want to see how it all comes together.

So...any plans to continue/finish?

Greg