The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Eduard 1/32 BF 109E-3

This is my contribution to the group build that was started in the old forum:

image-3_zpsa7e6fc16.jpg

I decided to go with the following scheme.  I haven't seen this one modeled very much and it really captured my imagination:

image-3_zpsa5187e33.jpg

I will post some work in progress pics very soon.

Cheers,

Wayne

After sitting on this kit for over a month, I finally got started with the build.  This is my first experience with an Eduard kit and I am very pleased with the level of detail the kit provides and how well everything fits so far.

As is typical, I started with the cockpit:

IMG_0595_zps460bbb78.jpg

IMG_0591_zps644fb7bd.jpg

IMG_0587_zps6f04cedd.jpg

Then began work on the engine.  There is something about an inverted "V" engine that is so German:

IMG_0584_zpsae27a67f.jpg

IMG_0586_zps870d9e07.jpg

Some more WIP pics will be posted soon.

Cheers,

Wayne

• Like 2

I was able to find some time to finish the engine this weekend.  For those with sharp eyes, you'll notice that the engine has only 10 exhaust stacks instead of 12 at this stage.  That's because I remember that Brett Green in his Military Illustrated Modeller article recommended leaving that off unit after mounting the engine:

IMG_0600_zpse49ed42e.jpg

IMG_0601_zps78c8db04.jpg

This morning I was able to mount the cockpit and engine and button up the fuselage.

IMG_0620_zps57643856.jpg

IMG_0619_zps9cbf03df.jpg

I will spend some time tonight doing a little filling and sanding and then move on.  I really like how this is going together.

Cheers,

Wayne

• Like 1

CallSignOwl,

Thanks.  Yes, everything is stock out of the box.  The kit comes with two really nice frets of PE; one painted and one plain.  The decal sheets are a piece of art and provide the builder with five different aircraft.

Wayne

Small update:

I was able to find some time to attach the wings, install the instrument panel and do some filling and painting.  Unfortunately, I ran out of primer, so the paint is going on without it.  Hopefully this doesn't come back to bite me in the behind later.

IMG_0625_zps1153a011.jpg

IMG_0626_zpsb18764a9.jpg

IMG_0629_zpsd7c1f779.jpg

Cheers,

Wayne

• Like 4

Kojo,

Got the RLM 71 on last night.  Hopefully, I will find time tonight to mask the splinter camo and get the RLM 70 on tonight.  My A.D.D. starts to kick in around this point in time in a build and I have to force myself to step back and not rush to the finish.

Wayne

Splinter camouflage complete.

It was very hard to differentiate the RLM 70/71 in the paint guide in Eduards' instruction manual.  After doing some Google searches for Jg 51 and BF-109E-3, I found the following picture which was a tremendous help and closely matches the Eduards' instructions as far as I can tell:

Art-Messerschmitt-Bf-109E-early-RLM-70-7

The following pictures show how my bird looks after shooting some paint, following Figure 1 from the picture above:

IMG_0638_zpsc21a0070.jpg

IMG_0642_zps217fa8fa.jpg

After letting this sit for a couple of days, I'll move on to clear coat and decals.

Cheers,

Wayne

• Like 3

D'you know Wayne, that's fast becoming one of my favourite colour schemes.  Great job and congrats on finding that plan on Google (T'ah ! what did we do before the interweb hey?)