The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Price drop on PCM Focke-Wulfs....

Mikester

• Members

Noticed that PCM dropped the price of the their 190A-1/2/3 and Ta 152C to $54.95 US. I've built their A-3 and considering it's got some nice resin and color PE in the box it's a pretty good value at that price. Ordered another one of the those plus the 152.

cheers Mike

it was more for general info to our members that I asked

ordering from PCM direct to the UK would mean Customs charges on what is already an overpriced kit (in my humble opinion - others' mileage may vary, of course)

if the discount was deep enough, the two may even cancel each other out

right now, much as I love the early Wurgers, there are just too many other decent kits out there for me to roll the PCM dice

right now, much as I love the early Wurgers, there are just too many other decent kits out there for me to roll the PCM dice

mmmmm ... Hasegawa with Montex A-3 conversion prehaps? ... don't roll them dice bro, the drama ain't worth it!! ;)

Rog :)

• Members

mmmmm ... Hasegawa with Montex A-3 conversion prehaps? ... don't roll them dice bro, the drama ain't worth it!! ;)

I've got one of those in the stash as well.  The PCM really is a pretty good kit, at $80 maybe not quite worth the money but at $54 comes in significantly cheaper than the Montex set plus the Hasegawa donor.

I've got one of those in the stash as well.  The PCM really is a pretty good kit, at $80 maybe not quite worth the money but at $54 comes in significantly cheaper than the Montex set plus the Hasegawa donor.

True, true ... and if you have no dramas in the purchasing, all well and good :)

At that price, even I am tempted to venture back into Hades.

• Members

Rog,

Their 190 really is quite good for a "limited run" kit.  I've built some stuff from Special Hobby that were far more difficult to get together.  It's not a shake-n-bake kit but the fit and engineering are pretty solid.  The only big gripe I had is the lower cowl was split in half cross-ways which made things more difficult than if they would have engineered it on a natural join line.  You get a beautiful decal set from Cartograf with something like 8 markings options, with the resin and PE I think it's a pretty good value at the new lower price and since no one else seems to be in a hurry to do an early Wurger.....

• Like 1

Rog,

Their 190 really is quite good for a "limited run" kit.  I've built some stuff from Special Hobby that were far more difficult to get together.  It's not a shake-n-bake kit but the fit and engineering are pretty solid.  The only big gripe I had is the lower cowl was split in half cross-ways which made things more difficult than if they would have engineered it on a natural join line.  You get a beautiful decal set from Cartograf with something like 8 markings options, with the resin and PE I think it's a pretty good value at the new lower price and since no one else seems to be in a hurry to do an early Wurger.....

Oh ...

Don't get me wrong ... I grabbed a couple along with a Tempest and Hurricane. I think they are a decent kit just going off reviews and my own look in box. I was referring to the pain involved with the customer service.

• Like 1

cheers Mike

it was more for general info to our members that I asked

ordering from PCM direct to the UK would mean Customs charges on what is already an overpriced kit (in my humble opinion - others' mileage may vary, of course)

if the discount was deep enough, the two may even cancel each other out

I ordered the Ta 152 C and it arrived at the end of last week. Irish Customs charged €18.92  in VAT. So, when added to the postage fee ($20.07 + $2.16 insurance) and the customs charges, even with a discount, the kit ended up costing me a grand total of precisely €77.63 (according to the bank statements), which is $104.99 at today's www.xe.com rate. The kit is nice, but I think it ended up a tad too expensive for my taste, at roughly twice the reduced price.

I like PCM and their stuff, but I fear this is not going to work for me in the long term. Pity there is no reliable source for PCM kits in Europe. I used to get them from Cammett in the past, but that is gone. These kits are entirely made in Europ and this is clearly advertised on the box. Ideally they should have a branch on this side of the Atlantic. That way, when the plastic, decals, boxes, instructions, resin, P/E are completed/made in Europe, some can be sent to the US branch where they can be sold on the US market and some can be sent to the European branch where they can be sold on the EU market. In fact, for that reason alone, the European prices could be lower than the US prices because these kits are not shipped twice, once from Europe to the US and then back again.

At least that is what I would do...

Radu

Don't forget Customs too chaps...

These have to clear US Customs, then again to get back to the UK. Goods made within the EU are duty free across borders to other EU Nations I was lead to believe... That alone would seem to cut down the end price significantly.

S

Totally agree.. I don't like PCM's website shopping cart.. Time step out of the 1990's!

I thinking of getting a Fw190 or two.. but not able to have an idea of shipping cost is pretty much annoying!

• Like 1

Totally agree.. I don't like PCM's website shopping cart.. Time step out of the 1990's!

I thinking of getting a Fw190 or two.. but not able to have an idea of shipping cost is pretty much annoying!

... And don't bother expecting anything resembling customer service with that purchase either ... you'll probably only get vague, non-commital, answers in asking the question, IF the e-mail is answered!!

T'was a headache I'd rather forget!! ... I haven't even given the kits more than a cursory glance since they arrived, so annoyed was I ... I thought it was me (because I can be a little anal sometimes) ... but zero bother with Sprue (USA), Dragon (USA), Frontline (Aust), BNA (Aust) and Model Hobbies (UK) ... even Mirek at HPH (Czech) was great - considering the language barrier and all!! ...

Still ... I may be tempted ... at least for one or two more.