The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Too much research = modelling overload

lawman56

Just an observation I've recently made and wondering if it happens to anyone else.

Firstly, I'm quite fortunate, in that my job allows me an almost unlimited amount of time to surf the internet, which means I do all my research at work, and pretty much none at home. I've often found myself just browsing through old archive pics on line for future builds.

That's where the trouble starts.....

Lately I've been working on my M7 Priest and had done so much research on it, that it became overwhelming. I found a plethora, (always wanted to use that word :D ), of material on it! Every model, configuration, modification, paint scheme, national markings, etc... Not to mention a gazillion pics! Apparently, the M7 Priest was the "ornament of choice" for many VFW and American Legion buildings.

And then there's the stuff that us soldiers just LOVE to strap all over our vehicles! From trophies to extras. Need a bucket? Got one! Need a tarp? Got one! Need a left-handed smoke sifter with monkey wrench attachment for use in Korea during the monsoon? Gimme a minute.....got one!

Which brings me to my point. I had gotten so wrapped up in what was "accurate", that I forgot. IT ALL IS!!!!!! One of the joys of a vehicle in a combat environment is that nothing is really right or wrong. All vehicles were built to certain standards, and all were equipped with basic tools and equipment. Key word here is basic. Once the vehicle was mated with a crew, it was a different story.

With that new revelation in mind, my Priest is fine with what I have. However, my crew....... :rolleyes:

Anyway, am I the only nut-job here, or are there others that take the research a little too far sometimes?

• Like 2

It's pretty common, I see it a lot in various clubs. I know one guy who can't build a model of anything unless he has a picture from both sides of the aircraft and another who couldn't build a model because he didn't know if it had a two or three blade prop. This never bothers me, I'll build a model off a profile or a picture, doesn't even have to be a good picture for me to build something. I even have plans to build a North Korean Ki-43 Oscar from reports that one was seen on an airfield in the early 1950's/.

HISTORY LESSON

I always like to have history of my subject so each build is a somewhat like History Assignment.  A little research and background will get me immersed.  Not rivet counting just close enough so I enjoy my build and can have a decent conversation (or defend when cornered by IPMS Know-It-All) about my subject.

I think for me the issue has more to do with subject matter. With ground vehicles, you can do or add almost anything and the vehicle still maintains it's integrity. Aircraft, however, are different. Shy of paint, there's not much you can do structurally, otherwise it won't fly.

I've been building armor for a while now, and I think the M7 finally pushed me over. In an effort to "build it better than my last one", (as most of us do, I suppose), I got too wrapped up in what could be done, versus what will be done. A sort sensory overload, if you will. This is one of the reasons I was slowly switching to aircraft. Which is actually making me slow down and become a little more simplistic in my approach.

Compared to my other dioramas, my Tamiya Spitfire made me realize that I can relax my diorama details somewhat. Aircraft, by nature, are in flat surroundings, so a little groundwork and some weeds, and Ta-Da! instant airfield! Much more relaxing.

My next completed aircraft will be my WNW Albatross Dv, and then on to the HK B-17!

I think Matt, (Doogs), was on to something when he mentioned in a previous remark that "there's real value in tackling subjects you know jack all about".

I'm pleased to see I'm not the only looney in the bunch, though! ;)