The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HpH de Havilland Hornet – Sea Hornet F Mk22 TT202

evening folks & thanks for the kind words :D

Grant, great to hear from you again and thank you - trust all is well now - it wouldn't be if I was driving the scalpel that's for sure!

..little bit more done and my favourite part - getting the cockpit together...

..started by scaling and printing an image of the panel to 1/32 dimensions and using paper adhesive to stick it to some card..

WIP104_zps1fc3c2b4.jpg

...punched out the appropriate apertures and carefully scored the outline...

WIP105_zps958c328a.jpg

...broke away the waste...

WIP106_zps35fe3eac.jpg

...and after peeling off the printout, cleaned up the part..

WIP107_zpsed8685d4.jpg

..started adding details - so far only the engine start buttons and a couple of those brilliant airscale bezels :coolio:

WIP108_zpsbcba6d77.jpg

...also started to make the armoured seat back - I stuck an old bit of a pen into a drill to shape the headrest...

WIP110_zpsdd302cd7.jpg

..thats all for now

TTFN
Peter

• Like 1

...all I can say is ... "wow", makes me feel like a modeling novice....just let me know when the self sealing fuel cells are installed and you're ready to fire up those Merlins... makes my 1/48th fix of the Classic Airframes Sea Hornet effort look very amateurish. Do keep up the good work!

Cheers, Ross   ;)

• Like 1

thanks Ross - glad you enjoyed dropping in & welcome to the forum :D

been fiddling about making the instrument panel for the Hornet - I had made a start but afeter some guidance from David Collins, I found the Sea Hornet IP is slightly different to the one I modelled - he also sent 2 pics of TT202's cockpit which is incredible as now I can build it exactly as it was

..this is the cockpit section David is restoring - quite amazing... thanks and full credit to his website for the image and for all his help - this would all be guesswork otherwise..

WIP115_zps7b285896.jpg

..having scaled a diagram of the Sea Hornet panel, I started the same process as before, punching out the dial apertures.. the duff one is on the right..

WIP111_zps79236e59.jpg

..I detailed the new one with airscale bezels and PE details - I have some seconds that were bent in production or damaged in some way so I use those..

WIP112_zps3fc86871.jpg

...built up the structures as best as I could  from the photo's I have..

WIP114_zps992b7732.jpg

WIP113_zps2b9aab11.jpg

..still more to do on this, then it's the Blind Flying Panel and then I will glaze and put our instruments in

..love this bit!

TTFN
Peter

• Like 2

thanks chaps,

Good to see David helping you, He is thè Hornet expert and a nice chap too. He built the cockpit including wooden structure

from scratch.

Cees

Cees - you are right - David is more than a nice chap - I simply couldn't do the aircraft justice without his help, he has been wonderful and as I am obsessive about detail and getting it right we have a lot to talk about!

I must admit i do love this part - I have been tempted in the past just to build cockpits from everything I like in 1/24 scale and just forget about the aeroplane!

anyways, got a bit more done..

first up I made the Blind Flying Panel - just a card blank with punched out holes and more of our bezels - I drilled tiny holes and threaded sprue for the tiny screws...

WIP116_zpscefe2bd8.jpg

..and once finished...

WIP120_zpsf53341c0.jpg

..also made the engine instruments found in a binnacle where the gunsight is on a Sea Hornet - these will be in blue & yellow to bring a bit of colour...

WIP119_zps3930d232.jpg

..finished detailing the surrounding panel and sanded down the back so I can put a backplate on it with the instruments...

WIP117_zps3d8f7a71.jpg

WIP118_zps08de3b1e.jpg

..soon had the final panel ready for paint...

WIP121_zpsd8c5199f.jpg

..I started to lay out the instruments for the Blind Flying Panel from our airscale 1/32 RAF instrument set - these are individually printed so it is just a matter of lining them up on a dark bit of card. Once laid out I wash them in future to secure them...

WIP123_zps7393fc64.jpg

..they still need glazing and the bezels finishing in a different black, but you get the idea...

WIP124_zpsf3bcc156.jpg

..and I have something to work with...

WIP125_zps5e228879.jpg

..haven't even looked at the kit parts - sorry - I always build my own!

TTFN

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Great tutorial how to scratch build an instrument panel.

Something I always try to avoid, but why actually? Must be a mental thing.

(mental note: must not avoid scratchbuilding insturment panels).

You are setting new standards here.

Cheers
Cees

thanks guys :)

been fiddling about making up the instrument panel - on the Hornet the panel is at about a 15 degree angle to the Blind Flying Panel (the cluster of six main instruments). As a result some of the instrument casings and other gubbins can be seen through the gap...

..I started making these from rod and more airscale bits and bobs - also added some of the wiring and a ribbed hose from guitar string...

WIP126_zpsb8d6ea61.jpg

..there is also a cross-brace so I made this from rod too...

WIP127_zpsef17d779.jpg

..then I made up the panel proper and detailed it - used instruments and placards. The four dials at the top had to be glazed with future as I when I glazed them the dial face looked too deep inside - I just wish my painting was better...

WIP128_zpsc43c3dcb.jpg

WIP129_zpsfde381e2.jpg

WIP130_zpsf490b8b9.jpg

..going to move on from the fiddly bits and start making up the cockpit cell and seat next...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 3

thanks Cees

..might I suggest you have a great deal more momentume than me! loving watching your Tempest coming together - I just seem to spend months fiddling about making small bits and bobs - it seems to take forever to squeeze an aeroplane out of what I do...

..anyways, tonight's episode is a story about a seat... the kit has one of course, but unfortunately it is not as detailed as I would like, so again it's time for some home brew...

..first up are references I found on the web - this is the seat a Hornet has (though this isn't from one) - really nice pictures showing the shape, details and colours - you can see it's actually made from bakelite(?) mouldings rivetted together...

WIP131_zpsdac6aa86.jpg

..I also had a drawing David Collins kindly sent me, so could try and work out the complex shapes of the mouldings... I started with the bucket, sides and flanges..

WIP132_zpsa73cb2c7.jpg

..to make the curved back, I cut a section from an aerosol lid...

WIP134_zps5a23522a.jpg

..the seat back actually has a big moulded depression in it which while you can't see with the cushion on, it can be seen from the back. This is more obvious as the Hornet does not have a bulkhead behind the seat (which the kit incorrectly has) but the seat is sort of suspended and is only attached to the floor and armoured seat back - the whole area is very open so it had to be depicted..

..I stuck a thick bit of card to the bit of lid, shaped it and made a male mould - from that I just plunge moulded the full seat back...

WIP135_zps7fdfe5df.jpg

...detailed the back and started to make the 'wings' that feature on the seat sides - these are just bent card and some round rod scraped to a half round and stuck on...

WIP137_zpsebf80c8a.jpg

...added the rivets from sprue and other details from brass - the rivets sticking out will be the mounting points for the seat belts...

WIP139_zps1924e18d.jpg

WIP138_zpscf1abedb.jpg

...primed with mr surfacer...

WIP140_zps2257a14b.jpg

..the colour is difficult (for me anyway) so I made a start & will try and get the lighter textures as I go...

WIP141_zps1aaf70d4.jpg

..will make the cushion from milliput, and the kit includes some lovely, accurate HGW belts so soon have it finished...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 2

..I got an email form David Collins (who has been helping me with research) that pointed out that I had made a schoolboy error and modelled the seat incorrectly - not sure how as I was looking at references all the time, but the seat I based mine on is from a Firefly or something - the DH Hornet has a cut-down back as the seatbelts come via a tensioning wire through the armoured seat back. Not a problem as I just remodelled the seat, but I did also make a cushion which can't be changed so wasted a bit of time there...

..here is the modified version with the lap belt mountings added ...

WIP145_zpsb8c05fcc.jpg

WIP147_zps701e6422.jpg

WIP146_zpsdcb0dff4.jpg

..also started making the big seat adjustment ratchet that goes on the side - I make parts in brass - drill any holes first and then cut out, then work the part by clamping it in a folding tool..

WIP148_zpsd2146b78.jpg

..this is the mounting and actually uses the first kit part in the cockpit - the PE ratchet. This bit is all wrong in the kit as it has a ratchet both sides and a very thin needle like lever when the real one has a bloody great torque arm and handle (maybe post that when I have made it and the seat mounting later..)

WIP149_zpsf430f4f8.jpg

TTFN

Peter

• Like 2

thank you chaps :)

very kind of you to say

..didn't have too much time today but managed to get the seat mounting frame and adjustment lever done...

..this is what I needed to build and is common to the Hornet (ahem...) - you can see quite a chunky milled, angled arm with a recess, a handle & grip and another curved casting mounting the handle to the frame...

WIP150_zps1b08c0c2.jpg

..this is how the kit represents the seat, mounting frame and lever...

WIP151_zps4f320fcf.jpg

..first up I started to make the angled arm by bending some stock, drilling the holes, and part drilling some rounded ends of the recess...

WIP152_zps77ce48da.jpg

..worked the part up and fixed it to the ratchet bit I made yesterday...

WIP153_zps6a5439d1.jpg

..turned the handle in a drill, made up the handle casting and the other side and assembled it all together...

WIP155_zps4ba8141f.jpg

WIP156_zpsc8797266.jpg

..ran out of time before painting it...

WIP157_zpsfeec0587.jpg

until next time my friends..

TTFN
Peter

• Like 2

evening all :)

been away for a week so not much done - just a little spell tonight..

..started looking at the exhausts - the kit ones are pretty good, but miss a few subtle shapes and are not suitable to attatch to an exposed engine. As I am using a Tamiya merlin from the P51 kit, I do wonder what the exhausts in that kit are like - they may be suitable?

anyways, as I don't know, I thought I would modify the kit ones and cast copies in resin - this is a bit of a burden as I need to do two handed pipes for each side, and the 'siamese' pipe that covers both the the rear outlets..quite an excercise actually...

..these are the real ones and the kit ones - now I look at them they may be from 3D printing as they are sort of ribbed. The difference I want to capture are the flats where they meet the cylinder head, the weld beads, and the welded tube exhaust tip...

WIP159_zps6f6c6fe0.jpg

..started by cutting off a kit stub..

WIP160_zps3ccd19eb.jpg

..reshaped it, added the fixing plate and the tip from copper pipe..

WIP161_zps9e1e7520.jpg

WIP162_zps27107aa5.jpg

..primed and added the weld beads...

WIP163_zpsad2c6154.jpg

..they are a little heavy for my liking, so more work needed...

..will try casting one and see how they turn out - the tips are going to be too fragile I expect to I may fatten the inside with CA before making the mould..

WIP164_zpsccfaa5cc.jpg

WIP165_zps6db52e1e.jpg

..I better get on the internet & see what the Tamiya ones are like, as doing four of these and casting them is going to take a while..

until next time..

TTFN
Peter

• Like 1

evening folks & thanks for stopping by :)

..been going slowly nuts here trying to sort the Merlin ingnition harness and the exhaust pipes... repetitive and tiny microscopic stuff..

..first up the spark plug leads that feed into the ignition conduit - you can see they are an angled assembly with hexagonal fastenings and a ball shape at the axis...

WIP168_zpsc3b98ad4.jpg

..I bent some micro tube and made the ball from a drop of thick CA - micro nuts from scale hardware act as the fastenings...

WIP166_zps3c583b12.jpg

..with some lead wire and assembled..

WIP167_zps866eee36.jpg

..I added some Taurus spark plugs and laft the finish apart from painting the balls - have done 12 thinking the ones on the inner faces of the 'V' cylinder banks would be hidden - no such luck, I will need to make 12 more sometime...

WIP172_zpse9bba351.jpg

..I also made a mould to cast the R/H exhaust pipes from resin...

WIP170_zpsaecdfa32.jpg

..I had refined the master and re-did the weld beads - I was worried the tube end would be too fragile, but they turned out ok..

WIP169_zps1db2b0ea.jpg

..then I needed to make the 'siamese' rear pipe - I used the base of a failed casting and made the rest with card and big blobs of CA to fair it in - after quite a bit of shaping I had one finished... this one is in a mould now and it may be a problem getting it out due to the bridge between the pipes..

WIP173_zps3aad51ba.jpg

..this is how they look with a dry fit..

WIP174_zps9e2b7e1e.jpg

WIP175_zps01944260.jpg

..thats all for now..

TTFN
Peter

• Like 5