The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Hasegawa 1/48 F-4B/N up

JohnB

I decided to build this kit that has been in my stash for many years. I'll be using the very nice Aires cockpit set along with the AOA decals for Vietnam Phantoms. Should be a straight forward no hassle build (I hope).

6-30-22 001.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Having built a ZM F4, I reckon 48th is a great size for a Toom, looking forward to it..

Agreed Phil. I need a "no hassle" build to enjoy and this seems to fill that bill. :)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Perfect choice for your next build. I personally like to build all my jet fighters in 48th scale as well and completely agree with Phil . Will be following all the way. :popcorn: 

Should be a nice break from the recent high cuss-factor builds. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

My vote is for: VMFA-115, A/C 2992

Love the markings and the white tail - WOW!

Looks good! I'm leaning toward the one above it, VMFA-115 0484. Also with a white tail. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Good choice as well. Seems the only difference is the color of the nose. Either one is going to look really cool (How's that for a throwback to the seventies?)

It will go well with the one I built ages ago which has a red tail and white nose. :)

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Sounds good to me and of course in the Ready for Inspection Forum, a photo of both together will look so cool.

Agreed! Sounds like a plan! :)

• Like 1

Been working on the Aires cockpit. Not too bad I guess. I'm waiting for some Quickboost seats to show up. :)

I'm going to re-shoot this photo as this just doesn't look "right".

7-3-22 001.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice work on the Aires front office and the details looks amazing. 

Have you test fitted the 'office' yet?

Thanks Peter. Here are the re-shoot pics which are a bit better than that 1st one. Yes, with a bit of trimming here and there it fits okay. :)

7-3-22 B 001.jpg

7-3-22 B 002.jpg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

The fit does look mighty good and seems to be one of Aires better fitting offices.

I had to remove the molding block from the bottom of the cockpit piece then test fit it with the nose wheel well in place. A bit of trimming was needed but not a lot.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The cockpit looks great John.

I'm still waffling about switching my jet kits to 1/48 from 1/32. Maybe when in done what I have in the stash I'll make the leap. 

Carl

Thanks Carl. :) I've about decided that some of my jet models will be 1/48 depending on the subject. Same goes for twin engine a/c. Four engine is a tossup between 1/48 and 1/72 depending on the subject.

I've decided on a different subject for this build. I'm gonna go with a/c #3 from VMFA-314. They give us 3 options for the same a/c and I'm going with option #1 (top of illustration). A deciding factor was a book I just finished by a pilot in 314 about his time in SEA flying the F-4 with 314. Very interesting and some good insights into their operations, etc. If you are interested the book is "Phantom over Vietnam" by John Trotti.

Scanned Section 1-1.jpg

• Like 2