The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hasegawa 1/48 F-4B/N up

JohnB

15 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The cockpit looks great John.

I'm still waffling about switching my jet kits to 1/48 from 1/32. Maybe when in done what I have in the stash I'll make the leap. 

Carl

Carl

I decided to switch back to 48th scale for my jets a few years back taking into account selection of kits and AM, availability, display case space and of course cost. My 48th scale jet stash has been slowing increasing and while it did take me some time to make the plunge, I'm glad I did. Just between Tamiya and ZM alone, the bar has gone up tremendously. ☺️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nothing like background history to add inspiration to a build.  Nice choice after reading the book.

Looking mighty good and the fit seems flawless.

Agreed Peter. Thank you! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Fantastic progress - your Toom is looking so good. Most amazing of all, ou have made it this far in the build and haven't broken off the pitot tubes on the vertical stabilizer.😉

LOL Peter. Look closer, the bottom one is broken off! Easy to fix. One problem I found tonight is one of the little air scoops on the side of the nose is missing. Nowhere to be found. I went to my old spares/leftovers stash to see if I could come up with a suitable replacement. I found one that will work after a fashion and some trimming/filling but it won't match the other one. Bummer but better than nothing. 🙄

• Like 2

John

I knew the lower pitot was much smaller, but I should have looked closer. On my Tamiya Phantom, I took the easy way out, removed both, drilled out the mounting holes and added turned brass pitot's from Master at the very end. Also been there over the years losing a few of those air scoops and now use more glue then necessary to fix them in place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

I knew the lower pitot was much smaller, but I should have looked closer. On my Tamiya Phantom, I took the easy way out, removed both, drilled out the mounting holes and added turned brass pitot's from Master at the very end. Also been there over the years losing a few of those air scoops and now use more glue then necessary to fix them in place.

That's a good approach on those pitot tubes Peter. Proactive! :)

I didn't realize I was missing one of those little scoops until I went to snip them off the tree. I'll work on making the stand-in look at least somewhat natural but it will still be a little different. Better than none though! LOL :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Your paint work always amazes me: super smooth and not an imperfection in sight! 👍 Upper surface light Gull Gray looks just as it should - good color match.

Thank you Peter. I'll begin applying decals today! :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Very fine painting, John.

Thank you Gaz. The first application just didn't look "right" although it was supposed to be Lt. Gull Gray (Humbrol/Monogram). I re-sprayed it with the last of my Model Master Flat Gull Gray then oversprayed that with Humbrol Gloss Coat. Looks okay I think. Now it's on to the decaling! :)

• Like 2