The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

WW Fokker E.III (Late)

Hi folks:

My first Wing-nutter, finished in what for me, was a record - 16 weeks. That'll make most builders laugh but for me it's Moto GP fast.

No surprise to hear it's a delight, with just a couple of points I'll carry forward to my E.II / III (Early) release - the cockpit unit is a tight fit at the rear (wing spar 'box') but gives in with a little reducing on each side and the gentle anhedral the solid wings are prone to (that I see reflected in other builds around the web, that I'll cure in my next one).

Finished for Airfix Model World, November 2013 issue.

Some re-hashing of the kit detail on what passes for the instrument panel. Etched fuel cock levers, some wire from an electric motor and an etched bezel, etc.

2a_zps3104a349.jpg

The ammo tub, spent cases bin and carburetor intake build into a neat little sub-assembly.

3a_zps576de38c.jpg

The finished tub garnished with Gas Patch 3D tensioners and HGW 'fabric' belt set.

14a_zps1c71204b.jpg

An unconventional finishing technique on the prop - AK Interactive's Track Wash. Easy to apply, forgiving and hugely economic.

26a_zpseff227f9.jpg

The big, whirly thing at the front end.

28a_zps1df130db.jpg

I took a liberty with accuracy and dropped Master Models Spandau into the build. 

43a_zpsf25cf3c6.jpg

Well into the castor oil staining here, cowl in Alclad II aluminium with Tam X-11 Chrome 'swirls' (a small departure from Wing-nutter's web based guide).

47_zps5b5d9397.jpg

Never had a teddy show up in a build before.

50_zpsc76a6036.jpg

The Teddy completed...

77a_zpsa3bcd401.jpg

57a_zpsa5f2bab9.jpg

53a_zps259f7cb6.jpg

56a_zpsf1d6c9fb.jpg

54a_zpsfd588d5f.jpg

55a_zpsa5e82ab7.jpg

52a_zps29a485bf.jpg

2a_zps6fd90f45.jpg

6a_zpsf15949a5.jpg

Happy days.

Steve  :)

• Like 7

• Administrators

Hi Steve,

I saw this in a recent Airfix Model World, and I'm using for reference for my build. This has to be one of the best Eindecker builds I saw. I seriously hope you can share your ongoing projects with us. 

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

I saw this in a recent Airfix Model World, and I'm using for reference for my build. This has to be one of the best Eindecker builds I saw. I seriously hope you can share your ongoing projects with us. 

Hi James:

Thanks for that - wish you well with yours.

I'll be following the Eindecker builds going on elsewhere here with great interest.

Please don't copy my liberties with accuracy (the Spandau and retention of the wing mounted compass on the Udet marking option) - unless you want to of course.

I had a pleasant chat with the proprietor of Gas Patch at Telford, who remembered me from my order for his lovely tensioners and plopped their anemometer in my hand - amazing and exquisite. I was given quite the dressing down for using the WW item and not his. :lol:   

I have 25 more Wing-nutters in the stash (never mind what's coming out down the line) and a growing sense that life expectancy may not match stash ambitions.  :lol:

Have a great weekend.

Steve  :)

Can you tell me how you got this great metal effect on this:

3a_zps576de38c.jpg

Hi James:

I simply followed Umlaufmotor's two (or three) tone Gunze metal approach (two tone in this case - Stainless and Iron), supplemented by a thin black oil wash. I use Michael Harding oils, hand made and quite the best I've ever tripped over. Have a look - http://www.michaelharding.co.uk

Steve, wow what a way to make an entrance buddy. Seriously nice build and finish. Love the staining and weathering, very subtle and convincing. Great job on the prop too, loving that.

Thanks indeed for sharing. Can I ask, what next on the bench ??

Regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin:

Thanks for that.

I do have a build in progress but sorry to say, it's under wraps under orders from the AMW deputy ed. I get to chuck stuff out on forums from the date of publication, so sorry again for not being able to disclose.  

You mean to tell me Eindecker isn't German for "Teddy Bear"?

…and that, boys and girls, is why you should never do alcohol... :lol:

Fantastic! A lovely Eindecker! Great job on the Teddy Bear! ;)

Thanks old bean - tracking down German Teddy RLM colours was an aviation research path little trodden. :D   

• Like 2

Lovely build and quite inspirational. I too have a good sized WNW stash and have questioned whether they will all be built in my lifetime. Has anyone else experienced the time available for model building to decrease inversely relative to stash increase?

Paul

That's simply glorious ... a beautiful, beautiful Eindecker and a fabulous job with the notoriously tricky swirls on the cowling as well! Can't wait to see what else you've got tucked away in your cupboard.

Grant.

PS: great choice of topic in your screen name :) :) :)

Can the wealth of sublime talent joining this site get any better? Gorgeous build.

Hi G:

Thanks for that. In truth, I'm in the position of clutching at the coat tails of those with real talent, as they disappear into the middle distance. I've learnt much from other modellers of all abilities over the years and look forward to adding to that as time rolls on. I hope to be always travelling - never arriving... :)    

Beautiful, simply beautiful!!!!! :D

Hi S:

Thanks also - hope you and yours had a belting weekend.

Lovely build and quite inspirational. I too have a good sized WNW stash and have questioned whether they will all be built in my lifetime. Has anyone else experienced the time available for model building to decrease inversely relative to stash increase?

Paul

:lol: Too right on the stash. Thanks for the nod on this one. 

Steve Von Wingnutter  :)

• Like 1

That's simply glorious ... a beautiful, beautiful Eindecker and a fabulous job with the notoriously tricky swirls on the cowling as well! Can't wait to see what else you've got tucked away in your cupboard.

Grant.

PS: great choice of topic in your screen name :) :) :)

Hi Grant:

Thanks for the thumbs up - much appreciated.

I've seen a few comments about avoiding schemes with the Fokker 'turned' finish. It's genuinely easy to execute. I only differ from WW and their web advice in that brush painting Tam acrylic aluminium was never going to happen and I have no idea why they promote it, as it seems a recipe for absolute disaster, so I subbed that for Alclad II. From there, it's just a simple brush exercise, dampening the brush with isopropyl alcohol to keep the Tam X-11 'live' and cleaning off the brush after each application, before dampening with more iso, etc.

I'm very glad to have been steered here by Jeroen. Folks have been very welcoming and I look forward to joining in the modelling madness going forwards.

Yes, a film favourite was the easy choice in the Dances With Wolves thing. Never get tired of seeing it.

Thanks again.

Steve Von Happytobehere :)    

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Simply love this Steve.... 

You can never ave too many eindeckers and you can never watch Dances with wolves too many times.

Or dance with "Arrow Wolves" either!  :D

I agree with Jeroen, I said it earlier but wow, it really is sweet!

• 1 month later...

that cloudy linnen effect, I am also trying to apply that.

lovely built :)

Gr,

karel

Hi Karel:

Apologies to you all for the very tardy replies. I regret I have been away from forums generally these last 2 to 3 months, due to other commitments. I'm very grateful to you for dropping by on this one and giving it the nod.

Thanks again

Steve

Simply love this Steve.... 

You can never ave too many eindeckers and you can never watch Dances with wolves too many times.

Hi Jeroen:

Thanks for that and agreed on both counts lol. 

Have a great Sunday. 

Steve

Or dance with "Arrow Wolves" either!  :D

I agree with Jeroen, I said it earlier but wow, it really is sweet!

Cheers Grant - much appreciated. A delightfully pleasurable kit but my second one will result in the wings being level...

Take it easy.

Steve