Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Tamiya Birdcage Corsair

15 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

That paint work is really nice John, wow!  I like the hint of the salmon primer underneath.

Thanks Mike. I tried not to overdo it. I'm in the process of weathering, etc. now and expect to have it done later today if all goes well. 🤞:)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vandy1 VX-4 said:

John what did you use for the salmon primer underneath?  Also what color of the bottom FS #     ?  

Thanks  Great Build 

For salmon primer you can use some Luftwaffe RLM23 red with a bit of white added to match one of these FS colors (whichever you prefer). As for the underside color, it's Colourcoats WW2 USN Light Gray (I don't have the FS number but it's close to Light Gull Gray 36440).

You are welcome, thanks.

Salmon-1.jpg

• Like 3

I think the Quinta stuff is better than the Eduard color PE but I have not seen in-person their LOOK/SPACE lines yet  but the reviews I've read point to Quinta for better quality but Eduard for lower price. I did use the Quinta bits in the SU-92 I built and was very impressed with it.

YOUR 'pit looks amazing!  Whatever is used still has to be applied correctly and yours looks great. That fading on the engine cowling in something else.

I may have to look back at Quinta for a future build. What surprises me is that they don't have a set for the 'New' Revell 1/32 P-51D.  Lots for Tamiya, Airfix and Eduard esp in 1/48 scale. Hmmm....

• Like 3

Chris

I'm squally in the Quinta camp. I've been using their cockpit 3D sets since they first came out and just love them. For the P-40 I bought both the Quinta set and the Eduard PE set and it was close, but the Quinta set had the edge and that's what I used. I also appreciate that Quinta includes a nice set of seatbelts and harnesses with their sets and they look really good and are so much easier to apply then PE harnesses. I have a few Eduard Look sets but haven't used them yet. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CANicoll said:

I think the Quinta stuff is better than the Eduard color PE but I have not seen in-person their LOOK/SPACE lines yet  but the reviews I've read point to Quinta for better quality but Eduard for lower price. I did use the Quinta bits in the SU-92 I built and was very impressed with it.

YOUR 'pit looks amazing!  Whatever is used still has to be applied correctly and yours looks great. That fading on the engine cowling in something else.

I may have to look back at Quinta for a future build. What surprises me is that they don't have a set for the 'New' Revell 1/32 P-51D.  Lots for Tamiya, Airfix and Eduard esp in 1/48 scale. Hmmm....

Thanks Chris. Quinta does a good job for sure.:)

On 1/5/2023 at 5:31 PM, JohnB said:

For salmon primer you can use some Luftwaffe RLM23 red with a bit of white added to match one of these FS colors (whichever you prefer). As for the underside color, it's Colourcoats WW2 USN Light Gray (I don't have the FS number but it's close to Light Gull Gray 36440).

You are welcome, thanks.

Salmon-1.jpg

Thanks John for the information 

• Like 1