The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Tamiya Birdcage Corsair

Nice pit John, these Quinta sets are amazing. You already decided to not use the HGW transfers, but here are my :2c:. The process is well documented with Garys description, except, I would press them on properly with a piece of damp kitchen paper after removing the carrier film.
Like Gary mentioned, they are hit and miss, I used them on several occasions and never all of them went on properly. Sometimes, there are lifts by the carrier film, even when the surface is prepared properly. For stencils, it mostly works, but I have my doubts with larger ones like the stars and bars.
If you like a worn finish, you have immediate chipping with these :D, but for a newish looking plane :hsmack:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Rob

Right,you and John and every aircraft build I've done these past few years, I've gone with a Quinta cockpit set - they are amazing. 

I'm still reading up and watching as many videos as I can on masks and even HGW transfer as I have a feeling, I'll be using themn not to far down the line. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DocRob said:

Nice pit John, these Quinta sets are amazing. You already decided to not use the HGW transfers, but here are my :2c:. The process is well documented with Garys description, except, I would press them on properly with a piece of damp kitchen paper after removing the carrier film.
Like Gary mentioned, they are hit and miss, I used them on several occasions and never all of them went on properly. Sometimes, there are lifts by the carrier film, even when the surface is prepared properly. For stencils, it mostly works, but I have my doubts with larger ones like the stars and bars.
If you like a worn finish, you have immediate chipping with these :D, but for a newish looking plane :hsmack:.

Cheers Rob

Thanks for the input Rob. It's too bad those HGW transfers are so hit and miss as I have several sets for the birdcage and later Corsairs. I'll sell 'em off if anyone is interested as I think I'll stay with the "sure thing" transfers. :)

Your Corsair looks really good!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Rob

Right,you and John and every aircraft build I've done these past few years, I've gone with a Quinta cockpit set - they are amazing. 

I'm still reading up and watching as many videos as I can on masks and even HGW transfer as I have a feeling, I'll be using themn not to far down the line. 

Good luck with the HGW stuff Peter!

• Like 2

Since the armored glass piece was lost I had to make my own using parts from my stash of unused parts. I got lucky and found a part that was close to the one lost. :) A little trimming and painting and there you have it!

12-27-22 003.jpg

12-27-22 B 001.jpg

12-27-22 B 002.jpg

12-27-22 B 003.jpg

12-27-22 B 004.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice going on replacing the armor glass - looks really good and once the Corsair is closed up, I don't think you could tell the difference between the kit part and your part

Thanks Peter. Yes, I think it will do just fine. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Looking brilliantly as ever John, could you photograph the glass fuselage panel that sits behind the canopy, this is where I’ve stalled on mine in fitting the the wrong ones and upside down I think. Thanks…..

Thanks Phil. That's easy peasy. Here ya go. I hope this is what you need.

12-28-22 001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Looking excellent John I have the Revell Me-110 coming this week w/Quinta/Revell MkIX they are a game changer.;)

Thanks Kevin. I agree, the Quinta details are very nice and add a lot to any model. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I decided to go on and paint the undersides. I tried to show some wear/weathering in the wells that allows the salmon primer to show through. Later on I'll do some additional work there with a wash of either dark gray or black.

12-31-22 001.jpg

12-31-22 002.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2022 at 10:53 AM, JohnB said:

Since the armored glass piece was lost I had to make my own using parts from my stash of unused parts. I got lucky and found a part that was close to the one lost. :) A little trimming and painting and there you have it!

12-27-22 003.jpg

12-27-22 B 001.jpg

12-27-22 B 002.jpg

12-27-22 B 003.jpg

12-27-22 B 004.jpg

Beautiful John!!  Love your cockpits - excellent work there!  BTW, do you have a clone that takes care of esoteric things like eating, and grocery shopping, doing laundy and such so you can model?  :piliot:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Beautiful John!!  Love your cockpits - excellent work there!  BTW, do you have a clone that takes care of esoteric things like eating, and grocery shopping, doing laundy and such so you can model?  :piliot:

Thanks Chris. No, no clone to help out. LOL :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1