Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Showing my age. Off to see the Oak Ridge Boys

Clunkmeister

27 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

That might be what y’all say in Cali, I dunno. 🤣

Y’all ride around on Papa out there in the land of fruits and nuts?   My Daddy’d throw his hip out. 

Part of the chorus of one of their songs

• Like 3

My heart's on fire for Elvira

Eyes that look like heaven, lips like sherry wine
That girl can sure enough make my little light shine
I get a funny feelin', up and down my spine
'Cause I know that my Elvira's mine

So I'm singin', Elvira, Elvira
My heart's on fire, for Elvira
Giddy up, oom poppa, omm poppa, mow mow
Giddy up, oom poppa, omm poppa, mow mow, heigh-ho Silver, away

• Like 3

Well, I’ll give ‘em credit.   No walkers or wheelchairs up on the stage. 

But my God, I had no idea those guys were still performing!  That is awesome.  I’d love to see them live, again….

OK, just did a Wiki look up.  Looks like it’s a band that has morphed with new members over time to keep playing.  I saw them when I was a wee little lad when my mom dragged me to see them when they were a gospel group in the early ‘70’s. 

Looks like y’all had a great time.  

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Well, I’ll give ‘em credit.   No walkers or wheelchairs up on the stage. 

But my God, I had no idea those guys were still performing!  That is awesome.  I’d love to see them live, again….

OK, just did a Wiki look up.  Looks like it’s a band that has morphed with new members over time to keep playing.  I saw them when I was a wee little lad when my mom dragged me to see them when they were a gospel group in the early ‘70’s. 

Looks like y’all had a great time.  

The singers are the same guys since the 70s.  The band has changed. The longest serving bandsman is the keyboard guy.  He’s been with them 40 years. 

The Oak Ridge Boys have been around since the 40s as a gospel quartet. They started as a quartet of workers from the Oak Ridge, Tennessee nuclear laboratory, hence the name.  They changed up singers as guys moved on until these four got together, and the first time they hit it big was in the late 70s. They became monstrous in the 80s. Richard Sterban, the little guy on our far right sang with Elvis Presley, so that gives you an idea how old these guys are. He was in rough shape tonight but still gave a good show. He had pulled a ligament in his right arm and it was in a cast. Joe on the left has a bad leg so sat on a stool all night and was carried on and off stage. 
But, man, they have a passion for singing and for Christ. They have theirs now, everything they do now is for children’s burn units.  Between Joy and I, we must have seen these guys a hundred times. We’ve both been on stage with them for charity, and I can testify that their hearts are pure. Their top 40 hits make money, their gospel music make Believers. 

This is what I found as far as the guys go.  I forgot that William had left for a few years (the beard). 

0CA83E61-95F0-4544-8574-68E78A9A9638.jpeg

• Like 4

Yea, it was a big Baptist church in Goose Creek, SC where I saw them.  Funny thought.  Every time someone asks me what my first concert was, I always say Mothers Finest and Molly Hatchet.   I had completely forgotten about mom dragging me to the Oak Ridge Boys when I was 10 or 12. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Yea, it was a big Baptist church in Goose Creek, SC where I saw them.  Funny thought.  Every time someone asks me what my first concert was, I always say Mothers Finest and Molly Hatchet.   I had completely forgotten about mom dragging me to the Oak Ridge Boys when I was 10 or 12. 

Exactly. And all my life it stuck with me. Myself and three buddies formed a 4 part group in high school where we sang some decent enough tight harmonies that got us into the various Baptist Churches and garnered us much love and respect from the blue haired old ladies.  All our buddies were listening to Led Zeppelin and CCR and we were trying to catch the Florida Boys and the Cathedral Quartet n🤣.  And the the Army came a-callin… and life stepped in. 
But, even today, three of us afflicted formed a trio and can’t get away from looking for those tight, heart lifting harmonies. 
These guys are a real window to my past and proof that you can make amazing music, hit it big, and not lose yourself in the stupidity of drugs and addiction. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Exactly. And all my life it stuck with me. Myself and three buddies formed a 4 part group in high school where we sang some decent enough tight harmonies that got us into the various Baptist Churches and garnered us much love and respect from the blue haired old ladies.  All our buddies were listening to Led Zeppelin and CCR and we were trying to catch the Florida Boys and the Cathedral Quartet n🤣.  And the the Army came a-callin… and life stepped in. 
But, even today, three of us afflicted formed a trio and can’t get away from looking for those tight, heart lifting harmonies. 
These guys are a real window to my past and proof that you can make amazing music, hit it big, and not lose yourself in the stupidity of drugs and addiction. 

Have you followed Mike Rowe and his story?   I was surprised to hear his life story that started with Barber Shop Quartet singing in high school. He says it’s why he is where he is at today.  My wife had me listen to one of his podcasts on a trip one time. I was hooked on his stories. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, CANicoll said:

How did they sound after all?

They sounded decent. The room hAdd so-so acoustics, but I’m a perfectionist. William Lee Golden was a bit flat at times, and Richard Sterban was struggling but Richard was in serious pain as he had pulled a ligament in his right arm earlier the day before. It was in a full cast and he was loaded with pain killers, fresh out of Baylor McKinney. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...