The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

I could really use some "hands on" advice............

olfogey

.............my " Large Scale " armor modeling is going along OK. What IS NOT working out too well is the "WnW" Biplane kits :(

I mis-understood the scale and am now probably stuck with two kits as Christmas gifts that I can't build :(:wacko:

I have had many give me advice to "just dive in", etc. but I know myself, and my eyes and fingers are NOT up to this task.

I am looking into "Airfix" 1/24 scale WWII aircraft, because that seems to be the largest available...............here's where I need the advice --

( and please, be honest ).

Can these be handled by someone my age (62) with eyesight issues and the other infirmaties that come with age??

Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offhand, and with just the information you have provided, I would say no. There is a very good chance that you would not enjoy the builds, and thats why we do this. Or should. Maybe with some help at LSM we can arrange fair CONUS trades.

If this hobby is something you truly enjoy, then try to make your workspace brighter....i.e., better light...place you table next to a south facing window, and/or get a better work light. Light is your friend. I am 65, have stigmatism in both eyes, am far sighted so I wear corrective glasses, but they are not enough for close work. I found clip on magnifiers that fit my glasses, and they flip up when I need to read something or look further away. These clip on lens are a great help, I can bring my focal length to within 6inches, and can build in small scales as well as 1/32nd with no problems. I found these on eBay in varying powers. They sit low enough that they increase the power of my bi-focal lens, and they are not that expensive...$10-15 a pair. So, I'd say, despair not, there are ways to help the eyes. Good Luck. Ross 

Offhand, and with just the information you have provided, I would say no. There is a very good chance that you would not enjoy the builds, and thats why we do this. Or should. Maybe with some help at LSM we can arrange fair CONUS trades.

This might be something I would have interest in.............

I have the "WnW" Fokker D. VII (F), and the "WnW" Pfalz D.IIIa. -- Both are sealed. (Instruction books opened, but nothing else).

The "WnW" Fokker D. VII (F) has extra "Pheon" decal sheet, and "HGW" fabric seat belts.

I would have interest in 1/24 "WWII" "Trumpeter" kits, new & unopened, I would trade "one for one", with maybe a bit extra on my end, depending.

I have also looked at the "Hasegawa Models" # HAS 31 -- 1/16 scale -- "Sopwith Camel" ( I would trade BOTH "WnW" kits, and a bit extra, for this one un-opened ).

I am re-entering modeling after 50+ years as a bit of self-imposed therapy..........it does me NO GOOD to appeal to the useless "VA" for assistence.

THE ONLY way this is going to work for me is larger parts. I want toi build no newer than WWII & thought the Biplanes would be neat, as my Dad always wanted me to build him one, but alas, I just can't do it to a decent standard.

Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Edited by olfogey

Or you could try some of the older 1/32 Hasegawa kits. They are really a generation that's past us. In case of less eyesight and fine motoric troubles they do have the advantage of having clunkier and less detailed cockpts and less small parts and fittings. If you keep the cockpits closed that won't show as much... If you then concentrate on a brilliant paint job the models will shine no matter what.

But I'd suggest you follow up on rw00025's advice first and try to improve on the resolving ability of the old analogue Mk.1 Mod.0 eyeball light processing sensors!

Good luck!

Erik.

If this hobby is something you truly enjoy, then try to make your workspace brighter....i.e., better light...place you table next to a south facing window, and/or get a better work light. Light is your friend. I am 65, have stigmatism in both eyes, am far sighted so I wear corrective glasses, but they are not enough for close work. I found clip on magnifiers that fit my glasses, and they flip up when I need to read something or look further away. These clip on lens are a great help, I can bring my focal length to within 6inches, and can build in small scales as well as 1/32nd with no problems. I found these on eBay in varying powers. They sit low enough that they increase the power of my bi-focal lens, and they are not that expensive...$10-15 a pair. So, I'd say, despair not, there are ways to help the eyes. Good Luck. Ross 

Eyesight is only part of the issue, but the magnifier has been a part of my life now for some years (lol).

The other part of the issue is motor skill related, caused by arthritis & ?? who knows what else. I find I can deal with the larger scale armor kits OK (1/16 & 1/25), but stupidly,  I mis-judged the size of the "WnW" 1/32 kits from pictures. "In hand", the parts are far too small for me.....................

I would have interest in 1/24 "WWII" "Trumpeter" kits, new & unopened, I would trade "one for one", with maybe a bit extra on my end, depending.

I have also looked at the "Hasegawa Models" # HAS 31 -- 1/16 scale -- "Sopwith Camel" ( I would trade BOTH "WnW" kits, and a bit extra, for this one un-opened ).

I am re-entering modeling after 50+ years as a bit of self-imposed therapy..........it does me NO GOOD to appeal to the useless "VA" for assistence.

THE ONLY way this is going to work for me is larger parts. I want toi build no newer than WWII & thought the Biplanes would be neat, as my Dad always wanted me to build him one, but alas, I just can't do it to a decent standard.

Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Edited by olfogey
  • Like 1

Jim,

Keep at it Jim, even try that WNW kit you have. I got back into modelling about 15 years ago because I liked it and missed it. But it more importantly became therapy for me too. My eyesight isn't what it used to be either. I can see long distance just fine but close up requires mega magnification. I use an Opti-Visor with interchangeable lenses along with reading glasses. More importantly, I take medication for seizures that makes my hands shake. So, modelling becomes therapy. I build nothing smaller than 1/32 and I was afraid to try a WNW kit after seeing the first one I bought. Did it anyway. And the rigging. It took longer but came out pretty good. This therapy is also good for my job as a machinist/machine technician. And my job is also good for my hobbies. Stick with it and prepare. I know for a fact that it works to help steady the nerves. Use good lighting like previously mentioned. Another good idea is to play music that you like. Use your hobby as a therapy. More people do it for that reason than you might think. Most of all, do not give up. I now have 13 WNW kits in my stash and will buy more. That 1/16 Camel you have sounds perfect. I have that also.

Here is a little inspiration.

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/648-fokker-dviialb-is-done/

Keep on plugging,

Paul

Paul-

Thanks for the encouragement..........sounds like our situations are very similar. I too "feared" the "WnW" kit after I opened it. (lol)

I'm going to give the "Optivisor" a shot...........never used one before, but I figure it sure couldn't hurt at this point.

Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Jim,

I concur with Paul. At least give it a try. After my heart surgery in May, I had issues with my hands swelling to the point I could hardly hold an Xacto, so I shelved my WNW Albatros and concentrated on building things I knew I could do. Started with a 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire, and moved on to a 1/35 M7 Priest, (both of which are posted on this site). I found the more I did, the more limber my fingers became and the easier it got. Fontunately, my eyesight is still pretty good, although I do use a magnifier for detail work. 

Now I'm finally at the point where I'll be pulling that Albatros down off the shelf and starting back on it within the next month. Matter of fact, I've purchased the HK B-17 and some aftermarket, knowing that I'll be able to tackle it next.

My only advice is to plug along with whatever you do. It may not be what you had envisioned, but it will be something completed, and will have created a standard for you to try and exceed on the next one.

Best wishes and good luck,

• 4 weeks later...

I'm 71 my eye sight is shot after welding for over fifty years, I was forced to retire from FOMOCO  because of health reasons, my Wife talked me into getting back into modeling after 30 years and some others I resisted because of my eyesight so I started with 1/24 but soon want went to 1/32 and ran out of kits to built that I could afford to build so I moved to 1/48 Pal there are a lot of magnifying devices that you can get on e-bay or amazon cheap as mentioned before bight lights lots of bright lights is the answer and don't give up shoulda seen my first plane after being out of it for over 30 years.

Keep at it Pal

Paul   

Paul-

Thanks for the encouragement..........sounds like our situations are very similar. I too "feared" the "WnW" kit after I opened it. (lol)

I'm going to give the "Optivisor" a shot...........never used one before, but I figure it sure couldn't hurt at this point.

Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Be sue you have at lease one extra set of lens plate.  Mine came with #7, x2.75 magnificaion, 6" focal.  I got an extra lens plate #4, x2 magnification, 10" focal.  I wear bifocal glasses and am basically blind without them.  I used the #7 and was happy.  Then I tried the #4 and the 10" working distance works well for me.

Airfix is coming out with a 1:24 scale Typhoon which looks incredible.  There are also some nicely detailed 1/18 kits coming out.

Good luck.  If the flip lenses do not work, give OptiVisor a try.

After trying several types of maginfiers including dental loupes I amm really happy with Opti-visor.

Good luck.