The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Converting a Hasegawa P-40M to a L

I've had the Trumpeter P-40F on the SOD for a while but now I've decided to use it for a conversion on the Hasegawa P-40M. The nose is what is needed as the F/L's used Merlin engines with a different air scoop setup. The Trumpeter nose can be grafted on to the Hasegawa forward fuselage after some surgery. The first photo here shows what is needed. The second shows the mod to the Hasegawa spinner to make it conform to the Trumpeter nose. Lots of cutting and test fitting but I HOPE to get this done without too much of a cuss factor! We will see!!! :)

8-12-23 001.jpg

8-12-23 B 001.jpg

• Like 6

• JohnB changed the title to Converting a Hasegawa P-40M to a L
2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

WOW, what a conversion and going to be a gem to follow. Surely looks as if you have it so very well thought out and the initial work under control.

Will be following with great interest. :popcorn:

Thanks Peter. My fingers are crossed everything works out. I expect LOTS of "adjusting" will be needed but we will see. :)

• Like 1

I'm going to give this one a rest until I can figure out how I want to approach the fit (or lack thereof). The contour of the Trumpeter nose is more rounded for one thing and I have to decide how I'm going to "adjust" that AND fill in the gaps I created 🤪 on the underside. I'm not giving up on it but it IS time for something else. 🙄

8-14-23 002.jpg

8-14-23 001.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Good luck John.  Looks like an ambitious plan.  Of course, the biggest stumbling blocks is "Trumpeter".

Thank you Gaz. Some unforeseen problems for sure. 🙄

36 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Good decision on letting the build rest until you have a good build plan that solves all the fit issues now surfacing.

Thanks Peter. I caused the big gaps on the underside when I cut out too much plastic. One of those "uh oh" moments. 🤪

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been dickering with this build off and on trying to get the nose to fit half way decently. Unfortunately this is about as good as I can get it. It'll require quite a bit of work to make it look "right" and I'm not real sure it can be made to look "right" as the Trumpeter nose has some significant differences in contour, etc. I plan to keep on it from time to time so we will see. 🤪

8-23-23 001.jpg

8-23-23 002.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KUROK said:

Great subject, JohnB!  One day I plan to do a Merlin P-40 using the Hasegawa.  Apoxie sculpt is hard enough to fill those gaps (given a couple days to fully harden).

Thanks! I've done a little more work on it and have pretty well "patched" the holes but the nose is slightly "oval" where it attaches to the nose of the kit which makes for a contour problem. Looks like it'll be a bear to conform. I'll still work on it from time to time but it won't be my "main" work subject but just something to do when whatever kit I'm working on has a pause, etc. 🙄

Just now, Peterpools said:

John

Yup, the nose contours between the two kits is a far cry from being a nice fit. Surely is going to be a 'sheet plastic queen' and there is no doubt in my mind, you will work your magic and when done, will be looking spot on the money.

LOL I'm glad you are optimistic Peter but I have my doubts. Time will tell.

• Like 1

It's hard for me to believe in this day and age that the newer Trumpeter kit would have lots of shape and contour issues.  I'm building a Hasegawa "N" and they got pretty much right in the shape department.

I guess Trumpeter didn't put their "A" team on it eh?  LOL

Vince

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KUROK said:

It's hard for me to believe in this day and age that the newer Trumpeter kit would have lots of shape and contour issues.  I'm building a Hasegawa "N" and they got pretty much right in the shape department.

I guess Trumpeter didn't put their "A" team on it eh?  LOL

Vince

The Hasegawa P-40's are really good. The Trumpeter kits have shape and accuracy issues. 🙄

• Sad 1

Here are a couple of shots of the progress so far. The contour problem will be hard to overcome I'm afraid. Certainly not without losing a lot of surface detail. The undersides should be acceptable after sanding and smoothing out. We'll see.

8-26-23 B 001.jpg

8-26-23 B 002.jpg

• Like 3

Hey JohnB,

I see it now.  Since the Trumpeter has more "cheek" one way is to grind out a (approx 1/8") channel at the top of the cowl centerline and pinch. V shaped, of course, you still want round at front by the spinner.

It looks like you may have joined things together so this will be hard even with a dremel and grinding wheel.

Good luck.  My hat is off for giving this project a go!

• Like 2