Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

The Scharnhorst 1/200 by Trumpter-Operation Paderborn

KevinM

5 hours ago, DocRob said:

The base looks super cool, Kevin. It adds a nice contrast to the deck tan and grey with it´s red finish.

Cheers Rob

I have kind of committed to the Kreigsmarine Padauk wood  and IJN get Sapele for their base.I called by glass company yesterday to see about getting a cover made out of plexiglas  and they said no.I went and looked on YT and it really looks easy already have Weld#4 inbound just need to hit the glass shop up now.;)

Not a big update but small tedious update to the cranes.Trumpter did not have anything for crane operator to work from so I fabricated it from some 1/350 PE and some crank handles from the search lights in 1/200 for the steering wheels.All I need to do now is paint and rig the cables.;)

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 004.JPG

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, KevinM said:

Not a big update but small tedious update to the cranes.Trumpter did not have anything for crane operator to work from so I fabricated it from some 1/350 PE and some crank handles from the search lights in 1/200 for the steering wheels.All I need to do now is paint and rig the cables.;)

Glad you are not doing 1/700 scale, Kevin, I would need a larger screen to watch :icon_eek:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Glad you are not doing 1/700 scale, Kevin, I would need a larger screen to watch :icon_eek:.

Cheers Rob

We would need Mike for that Rob.;)

• Like 2

The deck is now glued in markings placed the Trumpter  swastikas were 1/32" basically I made these @ 1/16" 2x wider and they still look just a tad thin??The base is well on it's way to to getting finished the SS's are not glued ATTM everything can still come apart.The plexiglas comes in next week for me to cut and assemble hoping all goes well there.The crane is finished for one side now just need to rig the other I did have to add a roller not included to get close to the original design. ;)

Swastikas going out 3/32" another .030";)

scharnhorst 002.JPG

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 003.JPG

• Like 6

Kev

Terrific progress on your Scharnhorst and the scratch crane details is amazing. I am blown away on how much work has gone into the base, surely the equal of any piece of fine furniture. 

Looking forward to seeing your custom display case in a few weeks. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CANicoll said:

That Paudauk is nice wood but you finished it beautifully - a nice complement to your build!

Thanks Chris it's my chosen wood for the Kreigesmarine subjects,sapele for the IJN collection and I need to do a USN in 1/350 or bigger Ole Whisky would be my go round for Iowa Class.

9 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Looking forward to seeing your custom display case in a few weeks. 

Peter you would not believe how much time just in thought I have put in so far to get to this point.I already not ruined but lets say screw up two planks of Padauk save for something else.I am going to use picture frame clams to hold the plexi to 90' and inject glue which seems the consistency of Tamy Thin and ....all should so well I only have to trim one edge of the plexi to length.

Thanks for looking fellas it gets lonely out here in this neck of the ocean.:D

• Like 4

Kevin, that is beautiful wood - I turn pens but have not used Padauk yet.  You definitely have good taste in wood.  I blew about $100 of Canarywood trying to get a cribbage board cut properly on a CNC machine.  The 3D cuts were beyond the ability of the machine to consistently cut.  :censored:  FINALLY got it to work.

Your model work is terrific, too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Scharnhorst looks amazing. I'm still not sure if I'd be up to a ship build, so much to add. 

One thing I only recently learned about is the colours the Kriegsmarine used to paint their turrets for ID purposes. Really makes them stand out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The Scharnhorst looks amazing. I'm still not sure if I'd be up to a ship build, so much to add. 

One thing I only recently learned about is the colours the Kriegsmarine used to paint their turrets for ID purposes. Really makes them stand out. 

Carl not sure about the ID probably but they changed them alot or minor according to the operation as to upgrades that is really up to the individual just like when we do planes.The guys that play in 1/700 and max them are nuts in my book(Mikee be a good case in point) my eyes get cross in this 1/200 doing those wheels for the crane operator.I kid you not with all the extras I am moving in on 1K with this build but I have way more enjoyed over my last two builds the flak 88 and the French kit.:D

• Like 2

Kev

It's all your fault ... after following your Scharnhorst build from day one and for years of wanting to try my hand at building a ship model, you started the gears turning again and I decided to take the plunge and ordered all I would need and then some. The kit is very manageable in size, not too complicated as compared to a battleship and have also ordered more AM then I should have but I want to learn.

The kit: Tamiya 1/350 USS Fletcher

AM:       Infinity Detail set with PE and Brass

Eduard PE Set

Of course, the AM so far cost nearly six times as much as the model, but it should make for an awesome build and learning experience. The kit is scheduled to arrive on Monday and later during the week the details sets are scheduled to be delivered as well. :) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Kev

It's all your fault ... after following your Scharnhorst build from day one and for years of wanting to try my hand at building a ship model, you started the gears turning again and I decided to take the plunge and ordered all I would need and then some. The kit is very manageable in size, not too complicated as compared to a battleship and have also ordered more AM then I should have but I want to learn.

The kit: Tamiya 1/350 USS Fletcher

AM:       Infinity Detail set with PE and Brass

Eduard PE Set

Of course, the AM so far cost nearly six times as much as the model, but it should make for an awesome build and learning experience. The kit is scheduled to arrive on Monday and later during the week the details sets are scheduled to be delivered as well. :) 

That Sir is a very buildable ship Sir one I have already completed alas in the Dragon Kit with it's accompanying PE that comes with the kit.The Dragon is on par with a Tamyia kit just newer molds but not as good on instructions as Tamyia.Have fun with it Peter destroyers go together fast and easy and being USN hardly no rigging.;)

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Thanks Kev for the vote of confidence.

Holy Smokes, your Dragon Fletcher looks awesome and if I can come close and look half as good, I'll be one happy camper.

You will Peter it's just like airplane inside out little sub-assemblies ;)

Dawned on me Gleaves Class I gave the Flecther(Trumpter) to the neighbor down the street with the PE as a diversion to his scratch built wood projects.

USS Livermore (DD-429), a Gleaves-class destroyer, was the 1st ship of the United States Navy to be named for Samuel Livermore, the first naval chaplain to be honored with a ship in his name.

• Like 2

Kev

Got ya. I've been researching the kit and the ship for a good few weeks and also working on a build plan as well. From everything I've read and watched, ship modeling is a series of small assemblies that come together during the build, rather then at the end, with paint work both brush and airbrush done along the way.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

ship modeling is a series of small assemblies that come together during the build, rather then at the end, with paint work both brush and airbrush done along the way.

Pretty much it.;)

• Like 1

Kev

That was some diversionary gift to your neighbor - sure hope he has it on display for all to see and admire.

Getting ready for hopefully starting tomorrow if the kit is delivered as scheduled.🤞

• Like 1

Very nice Fletcher DD there Kevin.

I've only tried a couple ship models, both in 1/35. The first was the Bronco Type XXIII coasts sub and the second is the Italeri Vosper MTB which isn't finished yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Italeri Vosper MTB

Nice looking boat I like to do one in that scale but again I like to do a 1/200 USS Wisconsin she was retrofitted just 30 minutes from home back in 84(Ingalls Shipyard) methinks and did sea trials in the GOM.I would of liked to of seen that Carl that's a big girl.;)

• Like 2

I have just about have the foredeck complete the chains are a Nice add but the mods will....lets say had abit of a cuss factor..I had to walk away.I finished it up this morning without a bit of fuss.I had to add a collar that the chain/anchor slide through some .030" rod bent around a .060" rod.I then added the smaller securing chain looping some .010" through the end twist,bend 90' and inset into the deck the chain was left over from the Schnell Boat 72 links per/inch.You will also notice the Swastikas  have been updated to a more acceptable size no more sticks.I was not able to address the location of the right/green capstan it's a mirror image the setup is exactly like the left/red a Trumpter mistake  Paul a French builder saw and I saw it but I thought my wooden deck fix it the capstan needed to move about 1/3" left it is what it is.I am just glad I caught and made some mods to the chains/anchor.

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

scharnhorst 003.JPG

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I have started on the plexiglas case measures 50"+X7 1/4"X14" something I have been shying away from has actually been easy.I have about an 1 1/4 hours cutting and gluing the four sides together I will let this sit over night and do the top tomorrow.I have seen a money making opportunity methinks fellas??I have seen people pay serious money for those 1/2 the size of this without exotic wood underneath!;)

builds 001.JPG

• Like 4

It's Alive!!!:D I now frame it out in padauk 1/2"WX1/16'T I will start on the top and ends with the end being 3/8"W and the top making the last 1/8"

builds 001.JPG

• Like 4