The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

The Scharnhorst 1/200 by Trumpter-Operation Paderborn

KevinM

• 2 weeks later...

The build now moves to the aft structure of the ship funnel/hanger.I added some pluming(brass rod) to the front of the funnel and some holders(brass again) for the out-riggers coming off the side of the funnel attaching to the underside of the gun deck.The biggest pain thus far was molding that one continuous pieces of railing for the gun deck :hsmack:

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

scharnhorst 003.JPG

scharnhorst 004.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a lot to report been let's say busy fixing cars,baseball MS my nephew's team is in town and just work.I have about 3 hours thus far in these launches and two more to go with the rails in the back  to which covers will go in play on atleast one.The rails are my handy work.;)

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

• Like 6

Thanks for the likes and looking in.The launches are basically finished need to give the one out front some more TLC.The bare launch in the middle I am thinking of rolling up a tarp towards the front of the cage since she came out the best might as well show it off.The launches were bare bones except the props life preservers and metal falls on me.;)

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

• Like 4

Woah, this is getting epic, Kevin. I feel your pain about adding all these details, but once you started.... I feel set back to the times, where I build the USS Arizona and I guess, there are not so many small scale ship builds following.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 7:39 AM, Peterpools said:

Kev

Some mighty nice work on the launches - just a shame on such an expensive kit, they came void of any details. :construction:

Well Peter they could add it all and us modelers would go you left that off and add it :hsmack:

47 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Woah, this is getting epic, Kevin. I feel your pain about adding all these details, but once you started.... I feel set back to the times, where I build the USS Arizona and I guess, there are not so many small scale ship builds following.

Cheers Rob

You know Rob the funny thing about this build is I do not mind it so much.Now I have added the necessary handrails on one side of the hanger but damn probably just the eyes but it was just not happening last night.Thanks for looking in fellas and the likes sometimes I think people get bored with the pace but each part is a model in itself she definitely has my attention ATTM.:unworthy:

And my Nephew's team wins biggley over LSU won 2/3 games taking the series against #2 LSU:D

MS State.png

• Like 5

Small up date on the hanger all the molded on ladders scrapped and sanded and new ones installed.I am thinking of installing the hanger to the deck?? alittle more thought  is needed.:hmmm:

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

• Like 4

Kev

Fantastic progress as you work your way through each sub assembly. No question, the PE while tedious and very time consuming, makes a huge difference. Enjoying following our progress with every update.

:construction:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kev

No problem at all, just seems these days, even us old and retired folks have so little free time; It use to be working and making a living filled our days, it's doctor appointments and procedures and much needed naps. 😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 5:28 AM, Peterpools said:

No problem at all, just seems these days, even us old and retired folks have so little free time;

Another late reply :hsmack: We went to FL this W/E Peter got family in Gainesville and my nephews team MS State came to play the Gators.State lost the series after leading 24/27 innings ......relief pitchers!!Nephew is the head Coach had lunch Saturday all of us he said something I did not forget and a new guy was on the ball field!It was alot of fun still and they took the series with GA last W/E #22 in the nation this week.The build has been going slow but steady today was a day of rain and more than usual got completed so some pics.I have on order Another set of flakerlings just to be sure the right ones are in the correct position they used different setups depending on the space available for the mount..The rear mast.....will lets just use John's words had a degree of cuss factor involved but now complete.I ordered two sets of square liferafts one from Bunker Studios and some source called Peddinghaus more like 1/350 1/2 the size of BS and 1/4 the size what came in the kit.I am going but the pics in the book and how the LF lie inside the the launch on the side and BS match the scale and number of LF.;)

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

scharnhorst 003.JPG

scharnhorst 004.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kev

Awesome progress .. nothing wrong with slow and steady sailing. 

Sounds like you and the family had a wonderful and enjoyable weekend. For years, my wife Diane has been a Gator fan in football, as she spent a few days in Gainsville visiting family in the University Hospital and came home being a Gator fan.

:construction:

11 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Awesome progress .. nothing wrong with slow and steady sailing. 

Thanks Peter it's the only way on this build .....now the base is under preparation it's called Paduka( https://www.wood-database.com/african-padauk/  ) I am using this for anything Kreigsmarine while I use Sapele for the IJN ( https://www.wood-database.com/sapele/  ).The brass stand are drawer knobs got to buy another set scared those trying to drill all the way through.I will need to also add the trim on top of the base for the border to the plexiglass cover so work now focuses on the base for the next couple of weeks and by gawd Kevin clean the shop!!

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

scharnhorst 003.JPG

scharnhorst 004.JPG

• Like 4

Kev

Holy smoke ... the wood for the bases looks gorgeous as well as the brass stands. With a shop and equipment you have, making the stands from doorknobs is an option and skill most of us don't have but surely wish we did.

Awesome work for sure.🏆

• Like 1

Wow Kevin, great progress with all these nasty details, the Scharnhorst is coming together nicely. I had to smile a bit nostalgically, when I read your baseball stories, having played for 25 years in German leagues.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2