The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

The Scharnhorst 1/200 by Trumpter-Operation Paderborn

KevinM

I have started on the hull of course and the first thing was to drill out the portals along the sides of the hull.The next step was to examine for ladders up and down the hull these were necessary for duties and maintenance to the hull.I found while doing the IJN Heavy Cruiser Chikuma that these ladder's add alot of detail to the hull giving it that 3D look.The problem is I have no 1/200 scale ladders but my 1/350 matched to the width that Trump put on the sides I am figuring they equal to about 18" width good enough for a man to work it took me 1 hr for the first set the longest set the rest with experience will be replicated quicker.The ones that Trumpter had enbossed on the sides of the hull were so faint one would never of noticed them.I feel I am getting a bit long winded here all about ladders an portals but the IJN loved these ladders they could have 5/8 sets on the capital ships each side the Scharnhorst has three in the stern both sides which most ships have something there.This build I figure may take a year or better depending on time and the attention span.I leave now with a simple pic of the ship when the hull gets it's primer coat I will post a pick..;)

Scharnhorst-1-A503-FM30-50.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Always liked Scharnhorst more than Bismark, and I think Lutjens commanded both in his time .

Norway , Channel Dash or North Cape era ? 

Personally think you are v brave , that lil destroyer drove me nuts, as much as I'd like to make a bit ship , that'll be one for my retirement days . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

Norway , Channel Dash or North Cape era ? 

1943 Operation Paderborn like the colors overall dark grey scheme white stern/bow yellow tops to main guns.Some ladders....

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 003.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, npb748r said:

It is without doubt the best looking ship ever built to my eyes

I think the same Neil some Nice lines on the Sharnhorst.The ladders measure out to about 16" in 1/200 and 24" abouts in 1/350 but the IJN may of used wider ladders.The photos I have seen of the stern they look quite narrow.;)

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Glad you are along Mike do not be surprised of a stall or moving on to a plane at times to keep the mojo going.;)

I totally hear that Kevin.  That's why I stepped away from wooden ship models for a break to move to "faster" plastic builds.  Of course my plastic modeling takes forever too :)

Are you getting any aftermarket for this kit?  From Scalemates, looks like KA Models came out with a bunch of PE sets.  Certainly adds to the cost of the build, but the detail you can get is amazing.  There is a live 1/200 Bismarck build on MSW with the Pontos sets that is very inspirational.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Are you getting any aftermarket for this kit?

It comes with a fair amount of PE with the kit so it  looks like it but I also p/u these over the last 1 1/2 yrs the 2cm flaks will be a big improvement over the kits(have 8).I have seen some guys stain the deck if I have something light enough might go there.;)

scharnhorst 003.JPG

scharnhorst 004.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KevinM said:

Thanks Paul been working the hull today ladders all in place now working the propulsion system I am about to primer.;)

Heya

Are you going full hull or in water? I take it from that full hull . 

Weirdly very excited to see this build , itsa bit like me watching people climb Everest ....something I'd like to do but know I never will !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

I take it from that full hull .

That's it Guy FH  was starting to sort out the pedestals last night  what I have are to small to the eye methionks.I have some paints coming in from the Gundam store this week see how the Hull Red looks also have some German Dark Grey coming 2X.

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Work has been slow on this been on six day work week's for the last few weeks this week maybe five?Tonight started on the SS ladders ...yes more ladders ...The ones I was using from the 1/350 were about to run out so I  had to come up with an alternative.I finally after few tries and variables came up and manipulated a pair of tweezers to accomplish the job using fine brass wire.I laid down two lines of ladders with the homemade stuff still not primered  and feel they look better than the prefabbed ones?Paint will tell the story methinks.The paints finally arrived from Gundam in Cali took a week order some bullets three days after the paint and got them two days before the paint!:hsmack:

Oh the second is the 3D printed Binoculars,compass and telescopic chutes for various range finders those binoculars are so much better than the kits!I had to order another $140 worth of 3D the other night and I thought the Border lanc was expensive I am probably at $7/800 thus far:hsmack:

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 004.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Getting closer to some paint on the SS more procedural than anything ATTM.The ladders on the back are a nice touch the bottom platform stuck out towards the SS and glued into a slot on the SS.I have mask for all the wooden deck areas came in the kit just that you want use it at the right time.The Quad's are Nice even have the seats in place.;)

10/22/23

Added the binoculars to the forward part of the SS, port/starboard lights and some brass cages.I see the pic p/u a small seam that needs attention.;)

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

scharnhorst 003.JPG

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• KevinM changed the title to The Scharnhorst 1/200 by Trumpter-Operation Paderborn

I finally got an extra day off and the hull is painted except the very bottom about a 1' long area what you see is a whole bottle of Mr.Color RLM23 I got 3x more coming makes a Nice hull red for anything but the IJN.The wood decks you see have been attached and I am so so on these when the backing is in place they look decent but after you peel the backing the grain shows to much methinks?I will say what I have on the SS looks like it fades with activity so will see.The decks and SS are not glued down yet the fore-deck needs a little more work and the base needs to be cut with pedestals and all mounted.I will continue to play with features and sub-assemblies of the SS.

Colors call outs

Mr.Color RLM23=Lower Hull

Testors Semi-Black =Boot

Mr.Color RLM75 =Upper Hull

Testors Flat White =Upper Hull Camo

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

scharnhorst 003.JPG

scharnhorst 004.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Looking good Kevin, what a beast. I like the wooden decks, but you are right, generally they look a bit out of scale with the too coarse grain. I had the same feeling with my 1/350 USS Arizona build, but in the end, with all the clutter added, it doesn't show that much anymore.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1