Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

The Scharnhorst 1/200 by Trumpter-Operation Paderborn

KevinM

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Will be following all the way; start to finish and no question, she will be a showstopper when finished.

Glad to have you along Peter just spraying alot of RLM75 ATTM time to add more bits to the SS today.;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Going to be an epic build for sure.

That is the plan in the head see were she ends is another event.The rigging is quite extensive on this ship but I like rigging it adds a whole other dimension to the WWII ships.;)

• Like 1

I have had some time to myself for a change and working to get it to pay off.I had to pull up three sets of Binoculars and reposition two of them further down the observation station and position two compasses.The book is becoming more and more a guide on the build this is the layout from March/43.I also cut off all the globes of plastic on top of the radar/rangefinder and replaced them with resin bits and made two features not present but so in 43.The 20mm Flak guns are really sasweeet but so fragile had to order three more sets just to be sure I have enough still more painting there.The rangefinder station is still not glued down yet and neither the tower to be built behind it sure/slow is the game plan.The book is awesome piece of reference material for this build a must.I have seen weras on other build people complaining about the fit of the rear SS to the deck?as you see I have left the moulded spruces in place from the factory giving it more rigidity across the deck.The rear SS will need a finger and 1/2 lbs of pressure till the glue sets slightly bowed upward  it is. ;)

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

scharnhorst 003.JPG

scharnhorst 004.JPG

scharnhorst 005.JPG

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

Swift progress ! .

Feels slow Guy research and look at pics and more looking.;)

50 minutes ago, harv said:

Kevin,  looking great ! Just found this. Watching now on....harv 

Thanks Harv it's a long movie though.;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A slight dilemma ............a picture is worth a thousand words they say ......and a few curse words also.What you see portrayed by Trumpter is the deck of the Gneisenau!! They produced that kit first if not mistaken and just went willy nellie here :wallbash: I have the book from Kagero on the Gneisenau and that's her layout.The wood chip is stained now you see why she will not be stained at all.;)

scharnhorst 001.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, harv said:

Wow, good research....harv 

Thanks Harv just to late .I was looking at how another builder got pass it and he missed it at first but lucky for him nothing glued together in that part of the build.his method was some good cutting coming about at the bottom of the page.  https://www.laroyale-modelisme.net/t27110p245-croiseur-de-bataille-dkm-scharnhorst-trumpeter-1-200-de-dyphrologue

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been slow going mainly building the double 40's(?) from Veteran Models they are very time consuming I have more coming from Bunker Studios will pick the best out of the litter let's say.I noticed another inaccuracy the wall behind the R/double ended up in the wrong spot had to remove the ammo box build the wall to that area and fold it...it's close.Then I noticed that a box existed in front inbetween the doubles between the ammo boxes it's a ventilation chamber for the lower deck.I fabricated something to scale and added two louver vents.The range finders are just in place ATTM nice fit.;)

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

scharnhorst 003.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PanzerWomble said:

Going to be one heck of a finished ship 

I am thinking it should be Guy keep finding little things off according to some of the prints.Like the unpainted tower you see now two rows of rails one in the back and the R/side.Then theirs like a little crows nest if I can build it will be a chore but will try.;)

• Like 3

A little over an hours worth of effort making the grab bars and installing.This is not 100% in scale the width is roughly 16" about right the step distance is 11" I'm figuring more like 12/14"?The book shows four bars in a section I have five but they are there.I also added a hatch not represented and a portal.The tricky part if it can be pulled off is making the crows nest on the outside of level two with wire. Wink

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

scharnhorst 003.JPG

scharnhorst 004.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2023 at 9:10 PM, KevinM said:

The desk is a mess but the Bridge continues to grow.The nest have been added quite easy to make rearrangement to Trumpter's idea compasses outside and three set of binoculars two lights still left to add.;)

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 002.JPG

scharnhorst 003.JPG

Wow amazing detail. I’m envious as that fiddly work would drive me crazy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Bridge is getting close to completion maybe 2/3 more weeks as you can see I have grafted on some brass rod off the upper part of the SS seeing how much rigging will be involved.The next part I reworked was the main radar platform cutting off the molded C38's and placing the aftermarket I will rework those not smooth or flat for my liking.Pics #4/5 show the new mast again made out of telescoping hollow rods to support the vast amount of rigging I will encounter later this was a first for me.Thanks for looking and likes fellas.;)

scharnhorst 001.JPG

scharnhorst 003.JPG

scharnhorst 004.JPG

scharnhorst 006.JPG

scharnhorst 007.JPG

• Like 8