Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Most expensive model ever? Star Wars X-wing fighter

BlrwestSiR

An original film used X-Wing from Star Wars recently sold at auction for $3.15M USD.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/star-wars-x-wing-fighter-sells-for-3-million-auction-1235618361/

Greg Jein was a long time VFX artist and after he recently passed away, his family asked for help to sort through his collection of film memorabilia. The X-wing was found in a box.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/star-wars-collection-auction-dallas-greg-jein-models-x-wing-fighter-stormtrooper-b1114134.html

Just reading about this on BBC news web page.

Me. Jein's Estate brought his collection to  COOL £13  Million in sales. 

Stupendous  collection.

:unworthy:

He appeared to have been an exceptional  model maker... I bet he is smiling  down from Heaven.

Thanks for your link too BlrwestSiR.

:unworthy:

:notworthy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, BradG said:

There was only 1 or 2 known to have survived so I'm not surprised it went for that price.

It seems that the record may not last for long. Apparently the 33" Enterprise from Star Trek has been found. Folks at the RPF are trying to confirm if it's the actual one seen in many publicity photos with the cast and that used to be on Gene Rodenberry's desk as well as used in some of the VFX shots. It disappeared after it was lent to Paramount for preproduction work on Star Trek Phase 2. 

• Confused 1

Carl, click the Hyper Scale link I posted above. Lots of good detail photos of the real thing and the found model.  They have comparison photos that look like it’s the real deal.  Scratches and chipped areas perfectly match original photos. 

Forgot to add, looks like it’s going back to the Roddenberry estate. Not sure if they will keep it, or sell it or donate it to the Smithsonian to go on display with the 11’ model. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1