The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Sukhoi Su-25 Ukrainian digital camo, OEZ 1:48

Looks like I suffer from a ”builder’s block”.. I mean too many interesting kits in the stash to choose from. 🫣

When the group build was announced the first thought I was to continue my stalled Revell 1:32 F-18E. Then I started looking what else do I have in the stash that would fit in the GB. Slippery road, that one.

I found a 1:72 Tu-16 or Tu-22 that would be cool to do, maybe Egyptian scheme? Weirdornier Do-335 as a twoseater - ooh, real nice. How about a Ukrainian demo team MiG-29 1:48, or one of submarine hunter duo of SP-2 Neptune or S-2 Tracker in Agrentine colours or maybe a Argentinian Chinook? I even toyed with idea of doing a HMS Nelson, having two steam turbines powering to shafts,  might qualify as a “twin”. 😃

Finally I settled on old OEZ Su-25 in 1:48 scale, mainly because I’d like to test the Foxbot masks that I have coming in for Ukrainian Su-25 in digital camouflage.

0a-Su-25cover.thumb.jpg.40d31caab9066171611c3fe9f78c2fe1.jpg

The box is old enough to be a Czechoslovakian product. The kit was inside a plastic box, which had protected the sprues quite nicely during all these years.

0b-madeinCze.thumb.jpg.8a332645abb8e5ebd0a2a611db6fe3ba.jpg

Decals look quite old, but those won’t be used anyway.

1b-decals.thumb.jpg.032b8c76d59f8ce8681b2acb7d6b6e9d.jpg

Instructions are pretty compact, having only five steps for the constuction. The same plastic has been boxed by Eduard, so I’ll be checking the Eduard instructions for help if needed.

1a-instructions.thumb.jpg.e814152c6c9e6340cc8e1d839edb4d78.jpg

Parts don’t have any locating pins, so careful construction is in order. Detail is somewhat soft, but we’ll see how it turns out.

1c-sprue1.thumb.jpg.738b21bd5af75fb8d12b10dd5bf61ea7.jpg

Something like this is the goal:

Sukhoi_Su-25_in_Ukrainian_service_269_n_(cropped).jpg.6118a5f6aa76e021cac85af761887005.jpg

So another silly project. Every now and then I like to build some older kits.

At least this isn't from 70's, as far as I can see.  :lol:

-jani

• Like 10

On 2/8/2024 at 3:23 PM, Peterpools said:

Nice choice and the digital cammo looks awesome.

Thanks. It'll be interesting to see how the masks work. I ordered similar masks for MiG-29 as well. If they work nicely, then I'll get some more. Somehow the Ukrainian digital camo looks really nice to my eyes. Too many brown+green spitfires, maybe? :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, telepatu said:

Thanks. It'll be interesting to see how the masks work. I ordered similar masks for MiG-29 as well. If they work nicely, then I'll get some more. Somehow the Ukrainian digital camo looks really nice to my eyes. Too many brown+green spitfires, maybe? :lol:

I agree the camo looks cool, and maybe way too many 109’s and 190’s?🤭

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Time for a long overdue update. This build has been going on quite slowly, the kit is fighting me all the way.

It looked good in the beginning, wings assembled and some primer sprayed on the cockpit parts.

2a-build.thumb.jpg.08fb2a765399d4ff5fc5860dec38f894.jpg

There are only a few locating pins, the cockpit was tricky to get correct so I glued the walls to the fuselage first to have some control how it goes.2c-cockpit.thumb.jpg.54eaacab8e694970006ee0608c8489af.jpg

Looking at the landing gear gave me chillies so I decided to switch for a in flight mode. Surely the closed up landing gear doors would be easier?

2b-bottom.thumb.jpg.5cf67f8ad1409ac4b8fb3ed4a8164a50.jpg

Well... the doors were in one piece. That would have to be broken into three doors for gears down option. The fit was not so great.

3a-landingbay.thumb.jpg.aff4c4a8b8d6aea5f45290bf2a2fd75f.jpg

While struggling with the cockpit and landing gear doors I managed to lose the ejection seat. Luckily I had a Verlindedn K-36 resin seat set sitting in the stash. Test fitting it to the partly assembled cockpit, not so great result

4a-chair.thumb.jpg.5602ea8768dc2fafe9b473752547be3b.jpg

Since this will be a in flight model, I need to source a pilot somewhere. I guess the seat will be mostly hidden so the resin seat goes to "waste". I raided an Academy MiG-29 box for a seat. It should be close enough.

Here's the comparison between the Academy seat and Verlinden seat. Can you guess which one is which? :lol:

4b-chairs.thumb.jpg.839d25c2330d4f41e1d00c7d6163b338.jpg

I decided to close up the fuselage and deal with the seat later. It looks quite possible to drop it in later.

4c-assy1.thumb.jpg.a2ec0c62019159c82640bcadf9e05b80.jpg

Not all panel lines lined up nicely. Either the front ones lined up and the ones on the back did not or vise versa. I made the best of it and filled the landing gear door gaps with putty.

4d-assy2.thumb.jpg.65a55a8fa5b5b198b1d4faf03634e9dd.jpg

Next problematic bit seem to be the tail fin. We'll see how it goes.

Br, Jani

• Like 6

Jani

Some might nice work getting the kit to the stage you're at. A ton of work and I think you made the right choice going wheels up. No question about it; the Academy seat is on the left :rolleyes:

:construction:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Long overdue update to this build. I have done some painting during the last few weeks, but I haven't had time to upload progress reports.

Here is the main fuselage and all bits connected to it, ready for priming.

5a-prime.thumb.jpg.80552fd04c86f696c0ee7f68cd606f88.jpg

Here is the primed plane with the decals and the Foxbot masks that I will use.

5b-primeddecals.thumb.jpg.9332d42311b1b1f25596d678b7fb1d00.jpg

Sadly the decal set does not contain the intake warning triagle thingie, which is quite visible. I don't think I've seen a digital Su-25 without it. Well, the decal set is a generic Ukraine decal set by DAN models. If I can't source it from any other kit I'll have to do without. 🤷‍♂️

5b-sidepic.thumb.jpg.faaf1205f0dbcd0e0ccb6d286118d35f.jpg

• Like 2

I had a long planning session or many actually on how to attack the masking in several layers.

In the end I decided to go from lightest to darkest colours. I painted the bottom and top colors with the best alternatives I found from my stash to the ones provided in the Foxbot mask set.

5c-top-1.thumb.jpg.f766dbf7e19a7ca5e962d28bce4d4cf4.jpg

Next step is to mask the areas that remain with the lightest colour and get ready for the second grey.

5d-top-2.thumb.jpg.f44de1b0380713f59625b6e831dc5b77.jpg

The Foxbot masks were quite thick and they didn't want to conform to tight edges and corners. Tamiya masking tape provided some additional help. There are places where the edge is not as sharp as I'd like. Some touching up is expected once the masks are removed.

This picture shows the second grey layer painted.

5e-top-3.thumb.jpg.03fb6f8a609f487709ce68f199b5bee4.jpg

I have two more layers of darker shades of grey to go.

However, this is as far as I can go during the group build time frame. I'll finish it later, time and life permitting.

I'm going to our daughter's graduation seremony in Scotland so I'll be away from the bench for a while. I really don't mind, builds come and go, but there are only a few occasions for university graduations 🤗 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Have a nice Midsummer!

Br, Jani

• Like 5

Looking good Jani.

Where about over here is the graduation? I hope the weather gets better for you as its been lousy for the last few weeks. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GusMac said:

Looking good Jani.

Where about over here is the graduation? I hope the weather gets better for you as its been lousy for the last few weeks. 

Thanks!

The graduation is at Stirling uni, but it is still a few days away, 27th of June. We'll travel earlier so we can enjoy family time before and after. Travelling is not cheap so we try to maximise the fun whenever we can go :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah, Stirling is a nice campus with views of the Wallace Monument, etc. Weather is looking better for the end of this week and onward, so hopefully you're in luck.

• Like 1