The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F-4E Phantom II: Sharks Mouth 388th TFW, Korat, Vietnam 1968-69: Test fit #2

On 4/11/2024 at 7:08 AM, Peterpools said:

Chris

If it was my choice, I would decal as I haven't much history with paint masks and decaling seems to always go pretty fast and is easy to correct if needed.

:construction: 

Yeah, that is what I am thinking too, especially since the masks are mostly the bands around the missiles.  I would think that would be MUCH easier to just decal.  Different if they were fuselage bands like on the nose of your F-14, but even then, a high-quality decal is hard to beat.  Yours looks fantastic.

• Like 2

Making progress but not a lot to show.  However, I'm disappointed at my lack of skill in dealing with seams.  Ugh.  I thought I put pieces together better than what I'm seeing on the Sparrow missiles and on the fuel tanks.  Bummer.  But Primer doesn't lie!

Primed 31 pieces tonight after assembling the Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles.  Not a pretty picture...  This is AFTER I thought I sanded the seam.

PXL_20240414_015211387.thumb.jpg.4e18ddafb6bf5ce4cbc3acdd7f4233be.jpg

And this happened on a sidewinder:

PXL_20240414_015112150.thumb.jpg.f180d8bf18e032a0c8b2b576ec152aab.jpg

So a lot of work left to do on some of these seams.

But did make a bit of progress on some other bits.  Primed the tail with Vallejo Gloss Black primer which arrived not too long ago.  I really like this gloss primer.  I put it on very lightly, taking up to 8-10 passes to get the final result.  But it is VERY smooth and metallics over the basecoat seem to come out nicely.  This was ONE mold line that I did a reasonable job on.

PXL_20240414_015036850.thumb.jpg.eddb8d7dcd08628cf1ccaa40081389ee.jpg

Also started on the resin seats, first with a mix of Olive Drab (40%) and Green Drab (60%) on the seat cushion, The frame is Vallejo Gloss Black Primer.  Somehow, the paint looks more complete to my eye - not so much in the picture.  Will start picking out details tomorrow and see about merging some of the Quinta 3D decals for some seat details.  Will see how the Quinta seatbelts work over the resin belts.

PXL_20240414_015028202.thumb.jpg.6cc9266b359fb6689dae98c785a9a7ba.jpg

More tomorrow (I hope).

• Like 9

Chris

Always a huge plus when a build reaches the primer stage, as it signals the basic end to the construction stage and onto the finishing portion, which of course, requires at least as much time.

Nope, no issues about the seams, we all get them and that's one of the two jobs of the primer, is to show what still needs to be re-done and we missed. Looking at the photos, seems the missed spots were where the sprue runners attached to the part. I gotten into the habit of not removing those nubs until after the two parts are glued together and sanding the seam then has a better chance of success - doesn't always work but pretty much not indentations to deal with.

Wow, the Vallejo gloss black looks absolutely perfect and super smooth - easily ready for your NMF. I've changed over to MRP Super Gloss black on my last few builds and it's so easy to shoot - no thinning at all, as compared to my old standbys of Mr Color, Tamiya Lacquer and acrylic. 

Nice start on the ejection seats - there going to look terrific when done. I've been using the Quinta seatbelts and really love them. Just need to be careful as they will snap when bent too much.

• Like 2

Thanks Peter.  I started using a pair of side-cutters to clip off the numb flush with the part, but once in a while this still happens.  I guess that is why we have putty, right?  Definitely the primer shows the warts and all but is useful to showing exactly where work is needed.

I do like that Vallejo gloss primer.  Not as one-step as the MRP primer, but probably a bit less costly.  I used the MRP Fine White Primer on some pieces and went through about half a large bottle of that.

Thanks for the warning about the Quinta seatbelts.  I may then look at doing just the shoulder belts as the lap belts are pretty folded up on the seats.

• Like 3

Chris

Got ya. I just find cleaning up the sprue nubs a lot safer after the parts are glued up and always leave a bit of air between the part and the fret so as not to cut into the part as well. To me, as long as a primer goes down smooth and covers well, it's good to go. Absolutely, MRP primers and paints don't as far as other paints but I'm so use to them and no thinning, just fits how I like to work.  

The Quinta seatbelts work just fine and when they should snap or break, I just replace that one small section with a piece of Tamiya tape and paint blend it in. 

• Like 3

• CANicoll changed the title to Tamiya F-4E Phantom: Sharks Mouth 388th TFW at Korat, Vietnam 1968/1969: Paint help

Does someone have a good paint reference for the metal tail?  I thought I had found someone who had done a really nice job on their F-4, and detailed the masking and paints they used, but now I can't find it.  Thanks in advance!!

• Like 3

After looking at a pile of seams I need address, I thought I'd work on some other pieces.  A little disappointed in some of Tamiya's engineering of this older kit, for example, there is a huge sprue attachment point on one of the landing gear parts.  They definitely have gotten a LOT better.

PXL_20240414_204218108.thumb.jpg.e65206432da47cc97df79eaa239d4c64.jpg

The kit came with a white metal nose gear strut.  Interesting!!  Here is the nose gear strut with some of the styrene parts attached.

PXL_20240415_001428054.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.2b00dabe4c6559592a790c2e98e294f2.jpg

What I was really happy with is the MRP Fine Silver I applied over the Vallejo Gloss Black primer base.  Sprayed in several (6-8) light coats with a couple of slightly heavier coats at the end.  MRP sprays so beautifully - this time at about 14 psi using my Iwata HP-CS and a .3 needle.

PXL_20240414_201958530.thumb.jpg.fc31e75b11cefc449f04f6aadd1a746f.jpg

PXL_20240414_202007552.thumb.jpg.e10443a71971bffa6dadb8edb7b78668.jpg

Now to work on some masking and shading.

• Like 9

Chris

Yup, Tamiya sure has come a long ways since those days, as the kits goes back to 2002. Everyone should have improved their art as steadily as Tamiya. Those landing gear sprue nubs are a gem! 

Holy Smoke, the MRP Fine Silver looks awesome and being a pure lacquer, should be tough as nails. Absolutely will be going to buy a few colors as the Vallejo Metallics I just bought look too paint like. and nothing like Alclad. :construction: 

• Like 4

Thanks Peter!  I have had some really good luck with the Vallejo Metal paints, but just had the itch to try the MRP on this tail.  Definitely will be doing some masking and I'm sure this will hold up very well.

Mark, thanks!!  If I can get ahead of the seams on the missiles and drop tanks I'll be in heaven.  Most of that was my own doing, I'm sure - not being careful enough with lining up the halves.  

• Like 4

Looking good Chris, I like the heat protection and the seats. Like you, I have always trouble with filling seams. I have no idea, how some of you do that to perfection.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Looking good Chris, I like the heat protection and the seats. Like you, I have always trouble with filling seams. I have no idea, how some of you do that to perfection.

Cheers Rob 

Rob

Always been one of the hardest and least 'fun' part of any build. I'm using more and more CA glue these days for filler and when dry, never shrinks back.

• Like 4

Most of the panels were stainless or titanium if I recall. So they should be a bit darker. Then add the soot from the J-79s and they got darker still. You could do the raised straps a different shade and that will add some variety and interest back there. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Most of the panels were stainless or titanium if I recall. So they should be a bit darker. Then add the soot from the J-79s and they got darker still. You could do the raised straps a different shade and that will add some variety and interest back there. 

Carl,  Excellent comment, thanks.  My plan is to mask the raised sections and then spray a darker metallic color in-between, and then go with some heat-stressing effects if I can work that up.

• Like 4

• CANicoll changed the title to Tamiya F-4E Phantom: Sharks Mouth 388th TFW at Korat, Vietnam 1968/1969: Details, details!!

Looking SB to replace the vinyl tires which NEVER seem to age well, and came across the intake covers, which are made for the Revell and the Tamiya kits, respectively.  Neither will likely fit the GT Resin intakes, correct? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Tamiya clear blue and red are great for adding heat effects to metallic surfaces. Thin it down a bunch and build up light coats until you get the desired effect. 

Huge, help, thanks!  I have both....

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Looking SB to replace the vinyl tires which NEVER seem to age well, and came across the intake covers, which are made for the Revell and the Tamiya kits, respectively.  Neither will likely fit the GT Resin intakes, correct? 

You could probably make them fit. Probably just have to shave the plug on the back until they conform to the inside of the GT Resin intakes. 

For example, the AMS vari-ramps were made to fit the kit intakes but have fit just fine on the various resin intakes that I've used. 

• Like 3

The Reid Air Stencils showed up today.  OMG, what did I do?  I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the instructions, which are incredibly detailed.  It may take longer to apply the stencils than to actually build the plane...

Worked on some seams for the Sparrow missiles but almost afraid to do Primer 2.0 as I'm sure there are still seams to work.  But did assemble the main landing gear (white metal core) and then went to work on the seats, seeing how the Quinta 3D belts might work on the resin seats.

Here are the two seats, with the Quinta belts and seat pad installed on the seat to the right.  To be fair, I had not really painted the other belts yet but I do like the detail and the contrast.  Using the seat pad required cutting/shaving the seat belts, losing that 3D effect of the resin belts.  But the Quinta pad and belts Look pretty good.

PXL_20240417_012856160.thumb.jpg.9ef2f0946a11669650effb9f9944a6f6.jpg

The resin belts are of a very different configuration than the Quinta set but to the eye, still looks pretty good.  I can still shave off the part of the resin belts that shows below the Quinta belts.  Still some detail painting and need to install the Quinta ejection handles but fairly happy with the look.  Especially to the eye.

PXL_20240417_012602557.thumb.jpg.d5b8722af914acab1aa726c405c7754a.jpgPXL_20240417_012617804.thumb.jpg.1a05cbf30d39f3f84cb541566e4e5ca8.jpg

More to come!

PXL_20240417_012856160.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2024 at 10:20 AM, Peterpools said:

Chris

WOW! The ejection seats look brilliant. Awesome work for sure. I'm still a bit fuzzy on what is the Quinta seatbelts and what aren't, but the final seats look spectacular.🏆

Thanks Peter!  In this pic, all of the gray belts are Quinta - I laid them over the resin belts on the seat back, but for the seat bottom, I cut off the resin belts, used the Quinta seat cushion to cover, then added the Quinta belts.  Then added the various placards and the ejection seat handles. 

PXL_20240417_155429664.jpg

• Like 5

Quick view of the cockpit temporarily fitted into the fuselage.  Got the side panel pieces in place and just wanted to see how it all fit together.

PXL_20240418_004420838.thumb.jpg.416a6c33a1981da20b33821a402654f5.jpg

PXL_20240418_004301212.thumb.jpg.878cb3616cebbf3338b57d80a39533fa.jpg

Did finally remember to put the navy refueling door panel on which will take some putty to fill in the slight gap at the back.

PXL_20240418_004230807.thumb.jpg.3fb3d4d0052549d6f2f8aa7c9fcacbfb.jpg

Working on the rest of the landing gear, wings, tail....  Putting the missiles aside for a bit.  Looking at some 3D Printed/resin options especially for the Sparrows since I did such a miserable job putting those halves together.

• Like 5