Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

As a precaution, I’ll add a bit of weight in the nose in mine, before inserting the cockpit, nose gear bay, and joining it to the main fuselage, methink …

Hubert

• Like 4

Now I’m dealing with issues associated with a resin kit. Ugh…. Tiny parts on larger parts broken and missing due to time, shipping and just very fragile parts.   Tiny and very thin “filler plates” on the bottom of the LEX’s.   I’m replacing them with .010 Evergreen stock and CA glue.  
IMG_2065.thumb.jpeg.0b1729b6a4b742eac02a4ee4c8fae9a5.jpeg

And doing some reading, the slats or LEX’s are supposed to be slightly raised on the back side, not sitting flush with the top of the wing.  I built “risers” on top of the LEX mechanisms to hold them up.   I still need to contour the right side.  
IMG_2066.thumb.jpeg.4d7f16b274179dc0c7168310fe38d183.jpeg

• Like 9

Okay, what a PITA it has been to fit the LEX’s.  The inner on the left wing was too long by 1/8” and had to cut it down, angles all wrong and had to correct that.  Built the stand offs and filed down each one for an even gap on the back side.  
Time for primer now!  

IMG_2068.thumb.jpeg.5387a221b61f197a84e13d0922314325.jpeg

• Like 7

Dagnabbit!!  Just when you think you did something right and ready to move on I see bad pitting in the canopy resin edge and bad body work just below it.  Back to sanding and putty.  
IMG_2118.thumb.jpeg.555ff0a9c62e7cebfdf3b6d3f39082d1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

I have met my modeling limitations.  ☹️

These damned blast deflectors are just too small for my skills to attach them.  My smallest tweezers require a grip that makes me shake too much, not enough glue surface for them to grab and hold, so they would most likely wind up falling off anyway.  I’m bummed. 
IMG_2123.thumb.jpeg.714317350dda0256a2bd6abcb5eecfac.jpeg

IMG_2124.thumb.jpeg.b0f1006ce979131fbd17d57f4c2b17aa.jpeg

• Like 7

Thanks Rob.  It’s really being tested on this one.  But I’m finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel.  I just hope it’s not a freight train. 

Edit to add:  I will say that I am at a stopping point for some time to be determined now.  I have a huge crowd showing up starting tomorrow evening that will be here until Monday the 8th. And I’m sitting here with my back out of whack looking at a badly over grown lawn that needs mowing (rider thankfully!) and a ton of grocery shopping needing to be done. And the wife is working up until tomorrow evening. 
Monday I’m wrapped up,with a vet visit for the new pup, got lawn irrigation going in Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday morning the wife goes in for final reconstruction surgery from her breast cancer. 
I’m probably looking at a couple weeks before I can get back to the bench. 

• Like 4

Scott

Looking so good and finally in the paint booth - aw3esome progress and I'm right with Rob.

Always happens that way, your back is 'fighting back' and painful, a holiday weekend with a ton to do. Just take it as easy as you can.

BTW, absolutely agree about the blast deflectors - not a chance they wouldn't get knocked off or food for the carpet monster before they ever made it to the Cutlass.

:construction:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2024 at 10:20 AM, ScottsGT said:

I have met my modeling limitations.  ☹️

These damned blast deflectors are just too small for my skills to attach them.  My smallest tweezers require a grip that makes me shake too much, not enough glue surface for them to grab and hold, so they would most likely wind up falling off anyway.  I’m bummed. 
IMG_2123.thumb.jpeg.714317350dda0256a2bd6abcb5eecfac.jpeg

A while back when SB had Meng products on their weekend special, I wasn't interested in any of the kits, but I had a look through their tools. I found these and I've been using them for small parts since.

MNGMTS035 Meng Precision Flat-Tip Tweezers - Sprue Brothers Models LLC

I found that I can pick up parts better than the very pointy tweezers and they don't twist and send the part off into never-never land if I squeeze too hard. There isn't a lot of 'spring' that I have to overcome to hold the parts too. I've bought a spare (when Meng was on special again) to have just in case too. My hands aren't the steadiest but using these, I think I do better holding parts and placing them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

I’ve actually come up with another wild idea I’m going to try later.  I’ll follow up when I do. 

You're going to get your wife to glue the blast deflectors on? 

:sofa:

Nice progress and hope the family visits and DOCTORB visits go well. 

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Scott, as you’re going for a white and grey scheme, I found an interesting picture that shows a gloss-black painted landing gear.

And, while reading the Navy painting instructions, I found that the « non-specular area around windshield » was to be painted « non-specular sea blue lacquer» 

And, btw, for those tempted to paint the national insigna, those were specified to be « decalcomania » on the painting instructions.

HTH

Hubert

IMG_0279.webp

• Like 8

Hubert, I’m going by Paul’s research on his instructions where the VX4 gray and white scheme has the green canopy frame.  I’ve read about others having a different color.  

I actually got some bench time today since it was just too damned hot outside for yard work. Although I tried…I wasthisclose to getting hit with heat stroke.  It was like 98 degrees (36.6C) with high humidity. I was working in the shade raking up rocks from the irrigation install.  All of a sudden I was thinking it didn’t feel all that hot out, and was actually kind of cool feeling there for a second.  That was my “Oh shit” moment from my managers training on recognizing signs of heat stroke.  I got my behind inside and sat in front of a running fan with a bottle of cold water.  Then it hit me how bad it was.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Scott

So glad you recognized the signs of heat stroke and reacted as quickly as you did. 

Being a senior, I only venture out in this weather in the early morning or after dinner when it has cooled down. If it's still too hot and humid, inside I stay.  - just way too hot and demanding for me.

• Like 4