Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Glad to hear you managed to avoid a full blown heat stroke. I've been out in some of the heat the past few days up here working on a client's house. I ended up spreading the work over a few days as I was getting wiped out. 

The Cutlass is looking good under paint. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As I was sitting at my bench, the wife, daughter and grands were coming in and out of the sliding door right behind me.  They were down on the dock playing in the lake.  Well, not the wife, she’s not even one week post surgery for her reconstruction from the double mastectomy. She was just torturing herself in the heat. But they would all come through the door talking about how hot it is outside and down on the lake.  LOL! It’s 72 in my man cave.  
And the wife wonders why I don’t want to go “spend fun family time” with them outside.  She complains we haven’t gone out in the boat in weeks.  Yea, because it’s 100 degrees on the boat. It doesn’t have AC because it’s a wide open tritoon.  If I’m going to be out in the heat, I’m going to be floating in the lake, not on top of it. 

• Like 4

Scott

The Cutlass looks so good wearing her Navy White and Gray. 

Right with you about the heat, as here on the Island, we we're also in a record heat wave with temps hovering around 95F yesterday, today and forecasted for tomorrow. Add in the humidity and it's hot and dangerous. 

Glad the cave has AC.

:construction: 

• Like 2

Scott, the Cutlass is looking amazing! Nice job and better job avoiding the heat - Heat index here was 107.  Ridiculous!  Then, that leads to massive thunderstorms with 50MPH bursts. Nasty stuff.

• Like 4

Nice progress, Scott  👍 !

If I may, I think the area behind the cockpit was interior green, not black, even on grey / white Cutlasses.

And, btw, Paul Fisher’s research was impeccable on this one. The area surrounding the windscreen was green, not sea-blue as per the Navy painting specs.

Hubert

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HubertB said:

Nice progress, Scott  👍 !

If I may, I think the area behind the cockpit was interior green, not black, even on grey / white Cutlasses.

And, btw, Paul Fisher’s research was impeccable on this one. The area surrounding the windscreen was green, not sea-blue as per the Navy painting specs.

Hubert

Hubert, I hate to say it, but I did find a glaring mistake though.  I found a pic of this plane online where it looked like it was being decommissioned.  It had silver landing gear.  Yea, I’m not attempting to repaint the legs and wheels.  
I’ll correct that area behind the cockpit.  Thanks! 

• Like 4

Better?  
IMG_2207.thumb.jpeg.d94af0f3c1d608192f886048868e626a.jpeg

I do have some rework areas now.  One was very bad prep on my part. Deep sanding gouges from squaring up the vertical stabilizer on one side. Ugly!!  
After lightly sanding

IMG_2205.thumb.jpeg.55afd04cfc1874015ebbadf3dbdbfaf8.jpeg

And the infamous primer lifting off the resin.  :wallbash:

IMG_2206.thumb.jpeg.c8668f012f94e97ea28303e162a1be5c.jpeg

Two steps forward, one backwards. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Better for the "inside" part of the back of the cockpit. But - and I have not checked pics of the specific aircraft yet , so bear with me - the "outside may have been black for the VX-4 aircrafts in grey /  white livery.

Hubert

• Like 2

My tiny spot on the LE?  Yea, it grew.  I taped off the red to sand the gray paint. Peeled the red off half the wing tip.  😡

I am so over this model.  I just want it done now.  It’s going to be a long time before I start another resin kit, and instead of standing over the sink washing it, I’m going to wash and wet sand every nook and cranny I can get to. 

• Like 2

Scott, when I need to do touch ups, I use Post-It notes to mask over delicate surfaces, be it fragile paint or decals. They have just enough adhesive on them to stay in place but not enough to impact the surface underneath. I put them on on right before spraying. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Scott, when I need to do touch ups, I use Post-It notes to mask over delicate surfaces, be it fragile paint or decals. They have just enough adhesive on them to stay in place but not enough to impact the surface underneath. I put them on on right before spraying. 

Exactly what I was thinking of using.  Today I was just taking the Tamiya tape and sticking on my shirt 3 or 4 times.   I tried rescribing one of the lines and my scribing tape lifted another 3” off the wing.  
Out of respect for Paul Fisher I restrained from hurling this out into the middle of the lake. 
I did get the gray repainted today. 

• Like 2

Not the cleanest edge, but if I try to make it better it will get worse. 
IMG_2227.thumb.jpeg.b3a194274bcf529c7d2d6d5b7a3b8809.jpeg

And wish me luck.  I still have to tape off the tips and paint them blue.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks like the Post-It notes worked out ok. Now back to your regular programming. 

Not so fast…..

I got red overspray on the bottom of the wing.  
:hsmack:

• Like 4

On 7/17/2024 at 5:22 PM, ScottsGT said:

Better?  
IMG_2207.thumb.jpeg.d94af0f3c1d608192f886048868e626a.jpeg

I do have some rework areas now.  One was very bad prep on my part. Deep sanding gouges from squaring up the vertical stabilizer on one side. Ugly!!  
After lightly sanding

IMG_2205.thumb.jpeg.55afd04cfc1874015ebbadf3dbdbfaf8.jpeg

And the infamous primer lifting off the resin.  :wallbash:

IMG_2206.thumb.jpeg.c8668f012f94e97ea28303e162a1be5c.jpeg

Two steps forward, one backwards. 

Ugh, been there, done that on both: the sanding gouges and primer lifting... Frustrating!

• Like 2

Scott

We've all been there and sometimes I'll try masking and some touchup AB work and if that doesn't do the trick, it stays as is, as you said, there is always the chances it gets worse.

:construction: