Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

HKM B-25H for $138 on Amazon

Thanks for the heads-up Scott.but you're right, they won't ship to Canada. 

At that price I would have taken another crack at a 1/32 B-25. Third time's the charm right?

• Like 2

Wow. I just bought one, and I had a gift card balance from a return, and a coupon from my credit card company, so my total was 124 USD. That's a screaming deal. Dammit all, I'm trying not to buy any kits right now, and you ruined it Scott! Now I gotta get your order done faster so I can get some money coming in.

Carl, if you buy one, you could have it shipped to your family in the states, and grab it while you're down here. Come on, join me on the dark side......

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Tim, it's very tempting and I did consider that option. 

But I'm still not sure I'm up to another try at the kit. The first two I started ended up binned when I fell down the rabbit hole of continuously adding details to them and then it felt like it was never going to end. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

But I'm still not sure I'm up to another try at the kit. The first two I started ended up binned when I fell down the rabbit hole of continuously adding details to them and then it felt like it was never going to end. 

Ouch, that is some pricey trash!!! You should have sent them to me instead. They could have lived on my shelf for eternity, like this one is likely to do. 😏

I seriously considered buying 4 or 5 of them and then selling them on ebay for 200 each, and paying for mine that way. But that just seems kinda low.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, biggtim said:

Ouch, that is some pricey trash!!! You should have sent them to me instead. They could have lived on my shelf for eternity, like this one is likely to do. 😏

It certainly was. I had just about every bit of AM made for the kits, plus a bunch of scratch built work.

IMG_20180917_132717-L.jpg

IMG_20180927_103004-L.jpg

IMG_20181029_164445-L.jpg

IMG_20181228_164652-L.jpg

A couple times I wonder if I over reacted but hindsight is 20/20 as they say. 

Martin yelled at me (in a friendly way) when he found out what I'd done. 

But as the minion in Holy Grail said,:

"it's only a model!"

• Like 4

2 hours ago, recon said:

I would purchase this except that I am trying to save my money for the IPMS Nationals!

Yea, because there you can pick it up for the show special price of $175! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Me, you, rubber hose out back!  
As the cop said in Christmas Vacation….”Mister, if I had a rubber hose….” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

It certainly was. I had just about every bit of AM made for the kits, plus a bunch of scratch built work.

IMG_20180917_132717-L.jpg

IMG_20180927_103004-L.jpg

IMG_20181029_164445-L.jpg

IMG_20181228_164652-L.jpg

A couple times I wonder if I over reacted but hindsight is 20/20 as they say. 

Martin yelled at me (in a friendly way) when he found out what I'd done. 

But as the minion in Holy Grail said,:

"it's only a model!"

That makes me cringe, Carl!!

2 hours ago, recon said:

I would purchase this except that I am trying to save my money for the IPMS Nationals!

Me too. Now you see why I am pissed that I did it. This trip to Nats is gonna hurt!!

• Like 1

Carl, having built a number of 1/48 B-17s and going crazy on the interior detail, only to then close it up so nobody ever would see it - I feel your pain.  I do wonder about our tendency to do all of that detail work, then close it up!

• Like 2

Chris, you’re right, how many times when looking at a finished project do you look inside, cockpit, turret, cabin……..I for certain, very rarely.  Now I’m questioning putting 3D IP panels in anything. Half way through the Kinetic F18, added RedFox panels, cannot see a lot of them……

• Like 3

I pick and choose carefully with the 3D cockpit stuff.  Big open canopy? Sure. Dash hidden way up under the top of the fuselage?  I skip it.  Just ordered a set for my SUFA kit because big and open. 
Sadly, once they go in the display case, you never can see down in there anyway.  

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

I pick and choose carefully with the 3D cockpit stuff.  Big open canopy? Sure. Dash hidden way up under the top of the fuselage?  I skip it.  Just ordered a set for my SUFA kit because big and open. 
Sadly, once they go in the display case, you never can see down in there anyway.  

Ditto. On this particular kit (assuming I ever build it 😏) it will all be closed, so minimal detail inside. I might even do an in-flight display because I can hang it to conserve space.

• Like 3

These days I do the same. Having learned the hard way, it only makes sense. Same with the kits that have a full engine option. Nine times out of ten, I build what's needed and don't bother with the rest. The Border Lancs are nice in that they give you the dummy engine for that very reason. 

Then there's the time savings involved. 

• Like 4

My T-6 build had a lot of hidden detail that went in the trash bin.  
Can’t see it? Not building it.  All it’s good for is cool internet pics and the modeler that loves getting into those details.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

My T-6 build had a lot of hidden detail that went in the trash bin.  
Can’t see it? Not building it.  All it’s good for is cool internet pics and the modeler that loves getting into those details.  

Scott, I wish you were coming up to Nats, man!

• Like 1

They need to bring them back to Columbia, SC.  :rofl:
I actually left work early and went to those since my pre-retirement job was a few blocks away. 

I’m sure I’ll make them one day again.  But it’s got to be in a town with slot machines to keep my wife happy. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The B-25H kit just arrived from Amazon in perfect shape. First time I've seen one up close - nice kit! If anyone wondered if the deal was legit, it definitely is! And it's still current if anyone is interested.

Good thing I make at least 3 different add-ons for that kit, courtesy of Harold. 

Tim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was telling my wife what an incredible deal this was.  She threatened to drag my boxes of kits out of the garage and light them on fire if I bought it.  I LOL’d at her and told her I’d have to just buy everything again, and besides, I already have that kit.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

I was telling my wife what an incredible deal this was.  She threatened to drag my boxes of kits out of the garage and light them on fire if I bought it.  I LOL’d at her and told her I’d have to just buy everything again, and besides, I already have that kit.  

Brave man!

• Haha 2

I haven't told my wife I bought it. She mostly doesn't care as long as I bring in enough from the business to pay for it, but I do not have that much saved at the moment. Hopefully it will pay off when we do taxes, because I can write off stuff like that now as R&D expenses, since I use kits to develop or improve products. I rarely just build one for fun anymore.

• Like 5

Tim, you can later swap it for another subject you need to make parts for.  That’s how I got my Kinetic F-86 from Harold.  He needed a Hasegawa kit and we traded.  

• Like 2