Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72 - Bu. No. 1063

What a great looking plane, Mike. The yellow wings and green tail make it a vivid eyecatcher. Later, when the eye is pleased so far, there are lots of detail to discover, like rigging and landing gear. I had always a soft spot for amphibious planes, but yours is one of the nicest.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys!  Really appreciate it!

Rob - tough kit, but I found the subject really interesting and beautiful.  Would love to see you work your magic on one of these!

Chris, I ended up using cut down steel pins for the rigging.  I had bought these insect pins of all things for my 1/700 ship builds (for things like masts and flag poles), which come in different thicknesses and I believe are stainless steel.  They don’t bend which makes them great for the diameters I needed compared to brass wire.  I had pre-drilled the holes before assembling and painting, so it was just a matter of figuring out what length to cut them to (which was a bit of a pain).  Thankfully it worked out because I had never done this type of rigging before and took a chance.    

Well, after getting three hours of sleep I was up and halfway out the door for one of my daughter’s softball tournaments.  Just found out it was cancelled due to the fields being unplayable with the rain yesterday.  Guess the modeling gods had my back again so off to bed I go. 😴  Looking forward to the next GB!

• Like 2

Mike

These are the comments I just posted on your build thread:

Congratulations on not only crossing the finish line before the stoke of twelve but the Big Sikorsky looks incredible - what a build. WOW!

I was on board for the entire journey and you certainly had a mountain of roadblocks to overcome. The results speak for themselves - simply a stellar build. Surely looks as if all the finger crossing paid off in the end when the masks were removed.  I thoroughly enjoyed being onboard, start to finish.  

Beautiful work and a build worthy of Queen of your Display Case. 🏆🥇🏆🥇🏆

• Thanks 1

Thanks Peter!  Really appreciate all your encouragement and support on the build.  Also, thanks for recommending this kit over some of the others I was considering.  It certainly ended up pushing me but I learned quite a bit along the way!

The mask removal was a big relief.  With the windows being in relief, tweezers and toothpicks didn't work.  I then tried using a sharp scalpel blade to get the mask started, and then finished pulling them off with tweezers.  I don't know how people build those big liners with rows of windows!  

• Like 1

Yellow wing with willow green tail and red chevron on an aluminium fuselage. What a winning combo, and on an amphibian to boot. What’s not to love ? The only criticism I can find is that it’s 1/72 🤣😂🤣 !

It makes me want to start immediately all my yellow wings bipes and 1930 fighters. But then there is the Cutlass to finish, and the Sandbox GB, where I’d like, for once, to finish my entry 🙄

Hubert

• Thanks 1