Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Hs 129B-2 by Hobby 2000 (Hasegawa) 1/48 -- two different dioramas

Excited for this sandbox GB!  I'll be building (and hopefully finishing) the Hobby 2000 Hs 129B-2.  I've got probably every piece of aftermarket for this kit so I'm planning on showing this bird fully opened up.  I hadn't heard of Omask before, but when researching, I found they offered a lot of great AM for this kit, including a 3D printed Mk 101 cannon (which I couldn't find elsewhere in this scale) and stencil masks for the two color schemes offered in the kit.  

I'm planning on building the one on the cover:

IMG_1475.thumb.JPG.93302206579e0c40cd0a423e3d005a24.JPG

IMG_1477.thumb.JPG.2a1db885bb2bfce5ec3a236bfcb05ca9.JPG

IMG_1480.thumb.JPG.4df3f7cc549dcd7272152f446f3a0272.JPG

Below from OMask - Mk 101 cannons, Revi gunsight, exhausts, and undercarriage legs:

IMG_1481.thumb.JPG.9363b5449b4596f00454d7737e6112e0.JPG

IMG_1482.thumb.JPG.05e6f1a8db3b89a9a01523ca3d58916c.JPG

Like @HubertB, I also managed to find some scale camels to add to the diorama.  Should be a fun ride!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

When I was researching this a few weeks ago when the GB topic was being considered, I think I found a picture of the particular plane I will be modeling:

image.thumb.jpeg.7fc1027f8a2ba25e3406f5794ccd5395.jpeg

The caption for the photo I believe said something to the effect of US soldiers inspecting a captured Hs 129 in Tunisia in May 1943.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Excellent choice , great canvas for weathering too. 

Cheers

Martin

Thanks Martin, should be fun.

Does anyone know how this was painted?  I'm assuming it was originally a dark gray/green plane that was quickly brushed over with tan?  I was originally going to paint it tan and then try to hand paint the dark original colors peeking through, but now I might actually paint it in the dark gray/green scheme and then try to airbrush over in tan.  I saw someone do a winter camo scheme that way, where they first painted the dark original colors, then painted the white wash over the top.

• Like 4

Thanks Martin!  Really appreciate it!

PW - I had been thinking about doing the Zoukei-Mura version, but at 1/32, it's a bit large I think.  I happened to come across an auction for a ton of the 1/48 aftermarket sets for the Hasegawa kit for a steal, and then realized that Hobby 2000 recently released this rebox (they also did a rebox for Eastern Front planes).  I've always liked the looks of this plane, which reminds me of the A-10 Warthog.  

• Like 6

Mike

Holy smokes, You absolutely have the entire spectrum of AM for your build. I would go nuts trying to figure out what goes where and when and how it all comes together. And I thought the Big Sikorsky was a complicated project. Surely is going to be an amazing and incredibly journey. :popcorn:

• Like 3

Hi Peter, I think most of the stuff is plug and play.  I probably won't use much of the PE sets given that I have the various CMK and Quickboost resin sets.  But yeah, while my parts are soaking tonight, I will probably mark up the instruction manual to indicate where I should be looking to the AM.

• Like 3

How in the world did you even KNOW about this aircraft, and any of the kits/ AM for it???  WOW.....  I can't wait to watch this one!!

And I feel left out.  No dromedary's in my build.  :blink: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CANicoll said:

How in the world did you even KNOW about this aircraft, and any of the kits/ AM for it???  WOW.....  I can't wait to watch this one!!

And I feel left out.  No dromedary's in my build.  :blink: 

Hey Chris - I saw the subject a while back offered by ZM.  Then I happened to randomly come across the AM for this kit on eBay I think, went to Scalemates, and realized Hobby 2000 did the repop.  I tend to see what AM is out there on Scalemates before picking up a kit - as I usually by kits off eBay or the FB auction sites if only I can get a good deal.

On the dromedary, I was looking up where Shchigry in the Soviet Union is for your BF 109 - not sure there are any camels there?  Just make sure if you get a two hump Bactrian Camel 🐫 that your plane was in Mongolia, as those were found there compared to the single hump camel in Africa and the Middle East.  🐪 

1 hour ago, mark31 said:

Wooow a lot off aftermarket.

Love that camo but hard to paint i think.

Mark

Yeah I know Mark.  Though, this one seems easier than the second subject in the box which has a million squiggles all over.  Hopefully the one I’ve chosen isn’t as bad.  I have a 0.19mm airbrush so will just have to practice.

• Like 3

Mike

Surely bet this is one of the builds where the AM far exceeded the cost of the kit and well worth the investment, as it will allow you to bring the kit up to a whole new level.  Add in your talented modeling skills and the bar is going to be raised so very high. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Does anyone know how this was painted?  

It could be mud. I know they did this with tanks in a pinch. And fine desert sand really sticks when it's been put on with water. I know this from cleaning up dirt bikes.

It looks like a mop was used for application.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great choice Mike, I thought about building this one too. The camo on the box looks not as boring as most of the desert schemes look. Hard to replicate, though. I could only find the Eastern Front boxing, so the Henschel was no more an option.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Count0 said:

The one behind it looks like it was sprayed? Very fine squiggle? If these are in collection point they could be from different units.

This is a colorized picture I found of the one with the very fine squiggles - cool scheme for sure, but probably too hard to paint for me so thankfully I prefer the other one:

ColorpictureofsquigglescamoinTunisia.webp.0650164eda9987379b77b5d719350818.webp

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Great choice Mike, I thought about building this one too. The camo on the box looks not as boring as most of the desert schemes look. Hard to replicate, though. I could only find the Eastern Front boxing, so the Henschel was no more an option.

Cheers Rob

I came close to buying the Eastern Front as I saw that offering first and liked the winter camo.  I've got a couple of Hasegawa 1/72 kits (Ju 88A-4 and He111 A-6) that at least one of which I was hoping to do winter camo on, so when I found this Hs129 desert boxing, I was happy for something a little different.  

I'm surprised this boxing is sold out already?  I did see on Scalemates that MN Hobby seems to have done a recent repop of both the desert and Eastern Front kits.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I came close to buying the Eastern Front as I saw that offering first and liked the winter camo.  I've got a couple of Hasegawa 1/72 kits (Ju 88A-4 and He111 A-6) that at least one of which I was hoping to do winter camo on, so when I found this Hs129 desert boxing, I was happy for something a little different.  

I'm surprised this boxing is sold out already?  I did see on Scalemates that MN Hobby seems to have done a recent repop of both the desert and Eastern Front kits.

Thanks for the hint, Mike. Never heard of MN Hobby, but a new chance to lay my hands onto this kit.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Martin, you read my mind - when I posted the picture, I thought to myself, man, that would be a cool diorama to model.  If I didn't have all the AM I had for this kit, I'd probably go that way.  I might, however, buy a second kit just to do this diorama (I think I have the German cargo truck in the stash).  The nice thing about the Hs 129 is that it's a pretty small plane (I'm guessing it's pretty close in size to a F4F Wildcat), so adding a truck to the diorama won't make for too big of a base.

Thanks also for sending that link to the other build - pretty cool!  Maybe I can finish two in the next six months.  This kit is actually pretty straightforward without many parts.

• Like 4