Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Rye Field M551 Sheridan

Talk about tiny parts. The surfboard has PE wing nuts to hold it in place 

1000015552.thumb.jpg.aaccf160795ffab85ed04e709d15486f.jpg

The commander's cupola has 16 brackets that go around the vision blocks. 

1000015553.thumb.jpg.9578813f347ee95c96c5385af97d2207.jpg

Unfortunately I've already knocked off and lost one of them. 

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

I think you were brave to even try putting them on!

I did debate it. My plan was to do one row and if I didn't lose any, the second. That worked out but then I knocked a couple off attaching some other parts. I found one but not the order. 

• Like 4

Peter, I'm using a pick up pencil for the really small PE bits. It's like a regular pencil but instead of lead, it has a slightly tacky centre. Just touch the PE but and it'll pick it up. Then position it and the surface tension from the CA is usually enough to unstick the part from the pencil.  It helps keep parts from doing the 100cm tweezer long jump. 

• Like 6

Carl

I've been using the pick up pencils for a good while and they help a lot but I find they need a sharp tip to work on the smaller parts or even with CA on the model, the PE won't come off the pencil. Right with you and haven't found anything better. Sure, wish I knew how to do levitation.  B)

Second set of tracks look mighty good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice progress, Carl, like these late Sheridans, with all the added bits and pieces to make them still usable. I wanted to buy the kit some time ago, but forgot about, until I saw your log.
I used wax pencils as well in the past, but never liked them too much. I still prefer tweezers for handling PE, but rarely the very sharp pointed ones.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kevin, I have 2 benches. One is 8 ft long but my sons  have taken over half.  The other is about 4 ft as well. But there's lots of floor space. Well, there would be if it wasn't full of open model boxes:

PXL_20241004_030757195.thumb.jpg.47aa578d1da3f17a672d20212c8c01c1.jpg

You can see where my carpet monster likes to sleep when she's not in my lap. 

• Like 8

Generally I don't have any trouble finding my tools as I know where I've left them. Of course I've jinxed myself now.

The problem is when one of mys sons borrows one and then I have issues finding it. Because they don't know where they've put it either.  Which is when I remind them to  not touch my stuff!!! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/24/2024 at 6:36 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

Peter, I'm using a pick up pencil for the really small PE bits. It's like a regular pencil but instead of lead, it has a slightly tacky centre. Just touch the PE but and it'll pick it up. Then position it and the surface tension from the CA is usually enough to unstick the part from the pencil.  It helps keep parts from doing the 100cm tweezer long jump. 

I use those wax pencil things as well...bought on Amazon.

I find that if you rub a little off the tip before use they stick better. I took

me a long time to find a sharpener that worked well on these...it's easy to

break the tip off when sharpening. Nice work on the Sheridan!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1