Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

ATARS Hornet

Hi,

I decided to go with an Academy 32nd scale F/A-18D with an ATARS (Advanced Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance) conversion for the nose of the aircraft.

Subject will be a jet from VMFA(AW)-121 Green Knights, 2007, Al Asad Air Base, Iraq from Operation Iraqi Freedom (that should cover the Desert requirement)

Among many aftermarket bits and pieces I'll be using are the Flying Leathernecks ATARS conversion set and decal set for the markings. I have some other pieces from Flying Leathernecks (GPS dome antenna, blade antenna, AN/APX-111 IFF antennas, LAU-7/A-6 missile wingtip missile launchers, & Quinta cockpit 3D decals for the late Hornet.

Weapons load will consist of 1 or 2 AIM-9L/M missiles, AIM-120 missile(s), AGM-65 missile, a BRU-33A/A dual rack launcher with 2 X GBU-12 bombs, a Lightning pod on the centerline, and 2 X 330 gallon wing tanks.

I am also entering this on another large scale aircraft modeling site for another group build running on the same timeframe that is named "Snakes on a Plane", requiring an AIM-9 Sidewinder as part of the load.

A few pics depicting the subject, though none are of the exact jet I am targeting:

pK7n4V.jpg

3GpeUk.jpg

GwcR7A.jpg

zUMH6V.jpg

That's all I have for now ....... hope to start making some progress soon.

-Scott

• Like 10

13 hours ago, scott_t said:

Hi,

I decided to go with an Academy 32nd scale F/A-18D with an ATARS (Advanced Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance) conversion for the nose of the aircraft.

Subject will be a jet from VMFA(AW)-121 Green Knights, 2007, Al Asad Air Base, Iraq from Operation Iraqi Freedom (that should cover the Desert requirement)

Among many aftermarket bits and pieces I'll be using are the Flying Leathernecks ATARS conversion set and decal set for the markings. I have some other pieces from Flying Leathernecks (GPS dome antenna, blade antenna, AN/APX-111 IFF antennas, LAU-7/A-6 missile wingtip missile launchers, & Quinta cockpit 3D decals for the late Hornet.

Weapons load will consist of 1 or 2 AIM-9L/M missiles, AIM-120 missile(s), AGM-65 missile, a BRU-33A/A dual rack launcher with 2 X GBU-12 bombs, a Lightning pod on the centerline, and 2 X 330 gallon wing tanks.

I am also entering this on another large scale aircraft modeling site for another group build running on the same timeframe that is named "Snakes on a Plane", requiring an AIM-9 Sidewinder as part of the load.

A few pics depicting the subject, though none are of the exact jet I am targeting:

pK7n4V.jpg

3GpeUk.jpg

GwcR7A.jpg

zUMH6V.jpg

That's all I have for now ....... hope to start making some progress soon.

-Scott

Advanced Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance...this is completely new to me😵. Thanks for sharing🥇

• Like 3

On 9/2/2024 at 7:37 PM, Martinnfb said:

Great choice Scott, two of those just flew overhead. Probably the whole RCAF flyable fleet.

Now, now Martin. The 6 or so we got from the RAAF must be in flyable condition. After all, they managed to fly here from Australia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

This build is alive and crawling forward.

This is the forward fuselage with a coat of Mr. Surfacer 1200 on it. 

The cockpit has the Quinta F/A-18D (late) set installed but I have it all taped off for now, so pics will come later for that. I still need to install the Quinta pieces on both instrument panels and will post pics of those when they are done.

I have the Flying Leatherneck ATARS module installed and you can see the cameras/sensors that will be covered by a clear resin piece later.

I also have the Aires nose gear bay installed. It was literally 1/8" too short in length so I cut the rear area about a 1/2" from the end and built the length out with resin scrap by 1/8" and then reattached the previously cut off piece. I had to extend a few hydraulic lines and a larger duct but it looks pretty good. I need to tape off the wheel bay and hit it with some Tamiya white before doing some detail painting.

Last but not least is I'm using a set of Legend SJU-17 NACES seats. I had to add a couple of belts with the included lead foil.

That's where I'm at currently.

9s6O8S.jpg

dIgYZO.jpg

BV6c7p.jpg

H9nCXt.jpg

VFIl4w.jpg

• Like 2