Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

New Frecce Tricolori colors

MARU 5137

Ooh I LOVE  the change... the  Frecce Tricolori Aerobatic Team has gone through many changes in its history...  its been around since  1952 and has been called many names with differing livery..

For about a decade before the establishment of the 313th Acrobatic Training Group the Air Force would assign the task of establishing an aerobatic team to a different fighter squadron. The first to be entrusted with this responsibility was the 4th Wing in 1952-1953, which gave life to the ‘Prancing Horse’ team, composed of four DH.100 Vampires, the first jet aircraft in service with the Air Force.
The widespread approval and enthusiasm generated in Italy and abroad convinced the Armed Force to continue in this sector, but the role of the ‘official’ aerobatic team was handed over to the 5th Air Brigade, equipped with new F-84G Thunderjets.
Thus, a new aerobatic team was formed in 1953, initially named ‘Guizzo’ (‘Wriggle’) and then renamed the ‘Thundering Jets’ two years later. The 51st Air Brigade also flew F-84G jets and represented the Italian Air Force with the ‘White Tigers’ aerobatic team in 1955-1956.
In 1957, the ‘Prancing Horse’ team of the 4th Air Brigade, composed of four F-86E Sabre MK4 aircraft, returned to the scene.

These were the first jets with smoke systems to be used by Italian aerobatic teams.For the 1961 season, the F-86E aircraft flew in formations of six. They were equipped with smoke systems, and they had a dark blue fuselage with a large blue diamond containing a black arrow on the tail. This livery was replaced for the 1962 season with today’s more familiar colour scheme, with the unmistakable three green, white, and red arrows on the fuselage and the sequential number in yellow on the tail.

The team had now acquired its identity and the ‘Frecce Tricolori’ aerobatic team was born.

I Love  the new colors. 

:wub:    :wub:

https://theaviationist.com/2024/09/12/new-m-346-jet-for-the-frecce/

Beautiful  head shot.

:wub:

Screenshot_20240914_085910_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by MARU 5137
Addendum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

This M-346 has already a very "racy" look. A kind of mini-fighter, the aircraft equivalent to fighters of Lotus cars (when they were still conceived by Colin Chapman, i.e. light ;) ) to other sports cars.

It is even better in the new "Frecce" colors 👍

Hubert

• Like 3

I want to like it. I kinda do, but I don't like the dark blue. It should have stuck with the Italian colors, as the old scheme but broken up differently. 

And for sure, very different top to bottom so it's obvious what the planes attitude is.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Maru

Thank you for posting the two videos and the history as well. The color scheme is amazing and truly has the heritage of the great names of the Italian Auto Industry in its soul. 

I agree.

:thumbsup2:

• Like 1