Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/48 Tamiya P47-D Chunderbolt , NMF RFI

Quick build ...still can't decide Alclad or Super Metallic for NMF. This has both and they pay nicely with each other both being lacquer.

Tamiya acrylic metallics are about 3/4 mile behind , huge particle size in comparison . 

Will keep playing have a bit of an NMF thing in my head for now .

Will end up in foiling if not careful ...🤕

Laterz 

PW 

temp-Imagejfmjha.avif

temp-Imaged-Ju-Zny.avif

temp-Image-AXv-Mcn.avif

temp-Imageav9-Dv6.avif

temp-Image0lj0g1.avif

temp-Image-PU9-Vm-Y.avif

temp-Image7-O2-IOQ.avif

temp-Image-Ux3ki1.avif

temp-Imagev-T9w-YN.avif

temp-Image0q8-Weg.avif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2024 at 6:18 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

Great job PW!  Love this plane and your NMF.

Did you use Mr. Color Super Metallic on this one?  I used them for the first time on my JRS-1 and really liked the paint.

On 10/18/2024 at 6:24 PM, DocRob said:

Nice anodized and weathered look to the Jug, PW, I like it. The checkerboard contrasts beautifully.

Cheers Rob

On 10/18/2024 at 8:00 PM, Martinnfb said:

Finally, finally somebody replicated aluminum finish to my liking. Oxidized as it should. THANK YOU.  :unworthy:

Cheers

Martin

I am with you guys. Great NMF and also the checkerboard 👍 !

Hubert

• Like 4

Cheers folks I appreciate the kind comments . 

I had a burst of NMF back in 2020/1 , mainly Alclads then adding some Tamiya metallic 

@Landlubber Mike

Earlier this year I had another burst, the Lightning in the GB was Alclads and Mr Colour Super Metallic2, which was working well . Wanted to see if there was a decent alternative to Alclad .

Then it all went cattywhompus with the big Starfighter where overlayering the SM colours made them all get a bit puttyish, and there wasn't enough contrast ..and it all looked shehite before I dropped it.... broke the wing and then binned it ...coz I am 12 years old ...link

So this one-  back to basics ....Alclad gloss black, left for 24 hours otherwise really harden ...and it really did . Then blow over some panels in various shades of Alclad ;- Ally , Dull Ally , Polished, White , Duralminium. This was mask a line , spray in a direction  , move the tape , mask a new panel, paint away from previous panel etc etc . 

Then used Super Mettalic2s 201, 203 , 204 205, and 206 (all silver colours) and used them to do more 'mask and panel' , and stuff like the spinner and the drop tank Chrome Silver 206  - all thinned about 60% Mr Colour thinner . Varying the thinner ratio and the spray distance can modulate the flow out and the gloss. 

Mottled some of the panels using different colours and PE stencil - on a previous build I was achieving this though painting alclad lightly over acrylic  and then using tape to randomly remove it . Kind of chipping technique ? 

No varnishes 🤮

Masked and did the stripes / decals . .....Saw a video on how to do checkerboard so thought I'd give it a go 😀

Then glue the wings and tailplanes to the fuselage. 

Then OPR  , pencil chipping .  Wheels 'n Bitz etc. 

Tamiya has made a nice kit , even though it's 2002 . 

Going to keep playing with the Super Mettalic2s, I feel they have potential, although they cover better than Alclad so you can't "preshade" panels and then blow over like you can with Alclad. They are more resilient however. 

Cheers 

PW 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1