The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya P-51D "Margaret IV" WIP

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM

Hi everyone,

time to start a new build overhere, or in other word's, time to make some more progress on my Mustang.

I started this build a couple of months ago, but i wasn't be able to show my progress overhere on the forum, so time to change this.

I use the second Tamiya kit of the Mustang, the P-51D/K Pacific version.

The model i will build is that of Maj. James B. Tapp who flew a P-51D-20 named "Margaret IV".

DSC_0001_zps31efdffc.jpg

For this build i will use some aftermarket stuff and as a reference i use the Squadron Signal Walk arround book, and some Osprey books.

DSC_0011_zps2349f8be.jpg

Further two set's of Eduard PE are used, HGW seatbelts and cockpitfloor and the splendid True Details parachute harnass set.

P4290124_zps631d073c.jpg

P4290123_zpse153e0a9.jpg

The model will be displayed in a little diorama with some figures, for this i use  pilot's from Zoukei Moura and PJ productions.

DSC_0009_zpsce511e8a.jpg

And last but not least, the decal sheet regarding the 78th FS/15e FG markings from Eagle Strike.

DSC_0013_zps534adbfd.jpg

Ok, time to put some glue onto the plastic. :stirthepot:  :stirthepot:

Guest DannyVM

Ok first whe tackle the engine.

I know, this engine is a kit on it's own, and with some extra work it can be made as a detailed piece of the whole model, but....................nothing will be seen on my model.

I will glue the engine together but just to give some weight (yes i know it's a tail dagger ;) ) and to have a solid construction.

DSC_0056_zpsb3de8b03.jpg

DSC_0058_zps491f6842.jpg

So far the engine story.

For the cockpit, i used some extra detail's, some wires in copper and lead.

DSC_0115_zpsd8bb6674.jpg

DSC_0117_zps93c50eab.jpg

And then, maybe the most ugly part of the whole Tamiya kit......the liferaft :censored: .....it look's like a brik, so i decided to do something i have never done before.........

SCULPTING :omg:.......oh boy, i certainly am not good with this kind of work, but hey, let's try to put something together that look's like a liferaft.

DSC_0118_zps42aa446f.jpg

DSC_0119_zpsf519d05e.jpg

Pfffff.......look's good enough to me, just a little bit sanding when the milliput is hard tommorow.

Tommorow i will prime the cockpit part's.

Thank's for watching :)

Greetz

Danny

Ey Danny,

That's coming along very nicely! The liferaft/preserver does indeed look much better the way you did it!

Don't forget BTW that the wooden floor of the cockpit was coated with a (black, if I remember correctly) non-skid paint. If you see a wooden floor it's a post-war warbird... You could however with the hairspray / salt / masking fluid technique replicate wear and tear in the paint surface with the wood showing through... ;)

Cheers,

Erik.

Guest DannyVM

have you thought about the G-Factor landing gear struts

As a mather in fact, no, and maybe that's a good idea, because i need some resin wheels to, so time to go shopping :D   Thank's for the tip Paulster

That's coming along very nicely! The liferaft/preserver does indeed look much better the way you did it!

Don't forget BTW that the wooden floor of the cockpit was coated with a (black, if I remember correctly) non-skid paint. If you see a wooden floor it's a post-war warbird... You could however with the hairspray / salt / masking fluid technique replicate wear and tear in the paint surface with the wood showing through...

Thank's Eric, and yes, i am quit happy with the result.

Regarding the wooden floor, yes i know, previous i used real wood on my Dragon P-51 and painted it in black. After it's was painted i sanded the black paint partly so i got some wear and tear. I think i will be doing the same with this bird.

Nice Start Danny! I must say this must be the first build that I haven't seen the Barracuda parts used

Nope, indeed, at the moment i'm happy with what i got for this build, but indeed you got a point on this. :unsure:

You're going to love this kit. I'm going to love watching you put it together too.

I loved my Tamiya Spitfire, so this one should also not be a problem.  :D

Danny! How are you? Finally finished work on the house and found your way back to the bench?

Great subject, model and AM sets... Following this

Hi Jeroen,

i am very good thank you, and yes finnaly it's done, time to move on with my hobby.

How are you btwy......i lost you on my facebook, and some other friends also because of troubles with the site or with my pc  :censored:  :censored:

Greetz

Danny

Danny you really gotta try the G-Factor landing gear for the Tamiya 51 as far as that goes their spits also I got turned on to G-Factor after the last P-51D I had just finished and promptly dropped it and broke the left gear strut. replaced them with (you guessed it) G-FACTOR you won't regret it

Palu

Guest DannyVM

Danny you really gotta try the G-Factor landing gear for the Tamiya 51 as far as that goes their spits also I got turned on to G-Factor after the last P-51D I had just finished and promptly dropped it and broke the left gear strut. replaced them with (you guessed it) G-FACTOR you won't regret it

I will keep that in mind Palu, thank's for the tip. :)

Ok guy's, time to post a couple of pic's of the progress.

After details where added to the cockpit, the cocpit paert's where primed with Mr. Surfacer 1000

DSC_0122_zpse7ed58d7.jpg

After that the part's get a pre-shade with Tamiya black

DSC_0123_zps467c2e0f.jpg

And finnaly, Hobby Color interior green was painted on some of the part's.

DSC_0143_zpsd996a52e.jpg

DSC_0145_zps881997dd.jpg

DSC_0146_zpsed8ba7e1.jpg

The life raft is painted in yellow, after all, i find the result quit nice, certainly because this was my very first sculpt :blink:  :blink:

DSC_0144_zps270cadf4.jpg

Ok, and now the fun part start's, wheatering the cockpit part's, chip's, oils, grease and other dirty stuff.

When this is done, the whole cockpit has to look like something like this :

P1010007-2.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

I like heavily wheatered and battered cockpits B)  B)

Greetz

Danny