The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Herbert Maxis

Maybe I take my mouth now to full, but I wanna give it a try and maybe you gentlemen can sometimes help me   :rolleyes:

I was always fascinated about this picture ( I have no idea about the copyright, but found it on so many pages)

erlamaxi2.jpg

After a little research I found a fascinating story behind this picture: http://www.pbase.com/bertone61/me_109

plus I have a Trumpeter kit leftover, Okay I know the kit is a G-6 and Maxis plane was an G-14, lets call it an artists freedom.

Okay lets start:

First cut the front window

IMG_1427.jpg

The engine and try to damage small tanks

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

Building the damage on the body will be for sure very interesting! Maybe something with alufoil, after bending the body with a heatgun.

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

In some parts, the Trumpeter kit is wonderfull, but the firewall is terrible. So Iwas happy to found out, that I have from the Eduard 1/32 DB 605 engine a firewall left, coooooooool!!!!!

IMG_1458.jpg

First try with the hole on the right side

IMG_1460.jpg

Arno

• Like 3

Great stuff, that cockpit floor looks like it has been trampled by a few hundred pairs of muddy GI combat boots.  I find it somewhat humorous how quickly captured German equipment was stripped by GI's for bits and pieces to send home.  

I remember reading a quote from a British solider back in the war -

"The Germans fought for their Fuhrer, the British fought for the King and the Americans fought for souvenirs".   :)

Looking forward to your next update.

• Like 2

Hi John! Thanks for your kind word's and they mean really something for me, from a master like you. Important for me was the thing with the cockpit floor, because first i taught it may looks like rust.

Thanks

Arno

Just worked after a longer brake on the main body interior. Searched a long time around to find something, that looks and fits like the MW50 behind the cockpit. Finally my wife Lilly brought me the missing part, Thanks Lilly!

IMG_1576.jpg

Build the radio racks and a few wirings, tubes and cables

IMG_1581.jpg

checked from the outside, I tried to come so close as possible to the original holes in the frame

Bf-109G14-13JG53-W13-Herbert-Maxis-78499

IMG_1583.jpg

What you think?

• Like 3

That's looking great! Really impressive work. Following this one with great interest.

A while back I did a profile of Maxis' aircraft that soon enough was proven wrong when I received an email with pictures from the recovery. Turns out it was painted in greys but with greater contrast than a regular 74/75 scheme. Could be a pale 75 with 66 or something else entirely.

So FWIW, here's a link to my profile of it.

http://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.se/2013/11/bf109g-14as-flown-by-herbert-maxis.html?m=0

Cheers

Anders

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words!!!!!  :D  @Anders Thanks for your tips, I already have found and printed out your page. I agree with you and the colors, I will try to lighten up the 75, but with 66? Isn't that not also pretty dark?

IMG_1599.jpg

Thanks

Arno

• Like 1

Arno, this is a great project. I have a 1/24 BF-109 and I wasn't sure what I'm gonna do with it but I had seen enough aviation art of crashed German aircrafts I though that will be cool. So, I am defiantly will follow this WIP. ;)

Btw, you're doing great and I love the Vallejo water in the pit. :D

Mike

• Like 2