1:32 Spitfire Mk.II instrument panel

James H

• Administrators

1:32 Spitfire Mk.II instrument panel

Yahu
Cataloge # YMA3201
Available from StoryModels for £5.19

DSC04141.JPG

I remember having real fun when I built the test shot of the Revell 1:32 Spitfire Mk.IIa last year. The kit isn't perfect, by any means, but one quirk I had to deal with at the time was the rebuilding of the instrument panel which was reversed. Revell actually fixed this and made quite a nice job of it, but if painting and super-detailing instrument panels isn't one of your preferred tasks, then Yahu have come up with a solution. This, with some minor plastic surgery, will give you the very ultimate in cockpit focal points.

Yahu's new instrument panel replacement is packed into a small zip-lock wallet, with a cardboard product holder stapled to it. My only gripe here is that the inserted card instructions are very thin, and don't provide much protection from the packet being bent. The front of the card is illustrated with a colour image of the parts contained, whilst the rear pf the wallet contains the loose instrument panel, and several small PE parts in another, smaller sleeve.

DSC04143.JPG

I have to say that this product is nothing short of entirely amazing, and has to be seen to be believed. I don't know the process of how the parts are painted/inked, but the finish is remarkable, with totally solid, sharp colour, and details which are so fine that I have nothing like this before, except for perhaps in decal form from Airscale. The rear of the panel has a couple of small paint parts, showing the colour application doesn't appear to be digitally printed. The panel itself is finished in a colour which I would describe as about 95% black, for extra realism, and the finish is also matt, except for the recessed instrument faces which are glossy, to represent the glass faces. There is actually another glossy area here, and that is the central panel area. This is because a separate panel fits atop this, and of course, adhesive will stick better to a glossy finish. Smart thinking!

DSC04144.JPG
Scuffs and scratches are entirely intentional!

Again, instrument and panel detail is the very best I have seen, with various fasteners, placard etc. been so clearly replicated. Where instruments have a coloured bezel, these are sharply created, and of course, that bezel detail is beautifully raised and defined. There is also an extra part which is attached to the IP via a small tag, and that is to replace the kit's compass face. This is as superbly printed as the remainder of the parts in this release.

DSC04145.JPG
The 'UP' and 'DOWN' text on the levers is readable, but only in macro view!! Note more intentional weathering on the panel.

DSC04146.JPG

The small wallet inside this packet, apart from containing the central, raised basic instruments panel, complete with silver fasteners, also holds a tiny mini-fret, holding three further parts which form various toggle switches. Be careful with these, as no spares are included.

For attaching the various parts, I would use Klear which of course won't give the fogging that many CA adhesives create. There are also no instructions which show that you need to actually remove the moulded plastic detail from the kit instrument panel, allowing this unit to sit flush to the bare plastic. I think that's so obvious that you really don't need to be told that you have to do this.

DSC04147.JPG

Conclusion
There are a number of upgrade sets for the new Revell Spitfire Mk.IIa, and this is probably one of the very best that you can buy. A good number of large scale guys probably like to make the most of the cockpit area, and this will go a long way to creating that level of attainment that you strive for. Assembly is so simple, and the result is a panel which is nigh on photo-realistic. For a single instrument pane, you might baulk at spending over £5, but please check this out, and you'll see that it's worth every penny.

Very highly recommended (just stunning!)

My sincere thanks to StoryModels for the review sample seen here. To purchase this directly, click THIS link.

James H

logo.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

I'm currently just a little bit pissed at Eduard, so this looks pretty impressive! 

Are they planning to expand into a full line of IPs? Please say yes...

It is expanding. Tomorrow I'll publish the instruments and bezels set for the Ar 234B-2 ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this one before your review and i was really impressed  with it, i like it more then the Eduard sets wich aren't bad either.

For me only Yahu when possible these panels are so crisp, can't wait to build my second Revell  1/32 Spit  with this panel......

• Like 1