The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Belgian F-104G Starfighter. Italeri with lot's of aftermarket WIP.

Guest DannyVM

The wood-and-canvas machines are real jewels on their own once they are finished. The loud pointy thing look's mean and deadly, and, it won't fit in my display case, so i need to take care of that. Now i have an excuse to get myself a bigger display case, and h""ll, it don't even fit on my work bench mental.gif ..........ok ok ........and also, it's just to impress innocent.gif  my wife evil_laugh.gif

Today i made a start, and took a closer look at all part's and aftermarket set's. On of those much discussed aftermarket set's, the Aires cockpit set, which i didn't bought because of the fit issues, was one of my favorite, but sadly i din't had the courage to got into problem's from the first second of the WIP. Therefore i decided to chose the CMK cockpit set, also with nice detail, but still a mystery regarding the fit into the fuselage.

Here's a photo of the set.

Compared to the kit cockpit tub.

I let you guy's decide for you're self about the CMK detail.

But now, how about the fit into the two fuselage half's. I made it simple, i took the two fuselage half's and cleaned them, then i took the CMK cockpit tub and roughly dry-fitted the tub into the fuselage without any sanding or cutting.

Also, i did not removed any detail from the inner side walls of the two fuselage half's.

This is the result : 

Short said, the CMK tub fit's very correctly into the fuselage, without sanding, cutting or removal of the kit sidewall detail, that's look's very promising wow.gif .

It's a very nice surprise after the whole Aires debacle, but still i have to admit that the Aires cockpit rocks it all the way iff you compare it to the CMK set regarding detail.

At one point i'm still not convinced about the right size of the CMK C2 seat. His overall appearance is quit realistic, but the size is rather small, compared to the Aires seat and the kit's seat. Also the headrest isn't quit the same iff i compare it with my photo reference. Now i did compare the kit's cockpit tub and the CMK tub, and i noticed that the CMK cockpit floor is much higher then the kit cockpit floor, about 4 m/m, that sould explain the smaller dimension of the CMK seat, but still, i'm not convinced.

DSC_0119kopie_zps9pkb9xmx.jpg

At this point i'm looking to use the Aires seat, but would give problems iff i use this with the CMK tub. I'm glad i bought the Eduard PE cockpit set, because i am now thinking serious about to use the kit cockpit with the Aires seat and the duard PE.

Greetz

Danny

Danny, the C2 seats never had back-pads like on the Aires seat. The back was not padded because the padding was provided by the backpack parachute worn by the pilot. If you want an accurate C2 seat, get the (Eduard) Brassin seat. It will add to the cost but as you are already putting heaps of love and effort in the F-104 I think the extra expense will be well worth it!

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/3861-eduard-brassin-632-047-c-2-ejection-seat-for-italeri-f-104-starfighter/ 

LockheedC2-1MarkVerbeek.jpg

Mark Verbeek; ejectionsite.com

Edit: Replied before I read the whole thread! Sorry for the useless advice!

Edited by Erik B.
Note to self: First read whole thread before replying!

Guest DannyVM

Edit: Replied before I read the whole thread! Sorry for the useless advice!

Hey Erik, first, thank's for you're (not) useless advice my friend, it's much appreciated. :)

Indeed, the Eduard seat is also in my opinion the best choice, so at the moment i'm in the painting process of the seat.

Quick Draw McErik...

Cool banger, Danny - love the detail and paint. ( and don't you mind Erik, sometimes he's right....)

Hihihi, no problem at all, good advice never comes to late. :)

Thank's for the nice comment mate, much appreciated :)

Greetz

Danny

Thanks, Danny! BTW, you're spot-on with your painting of the C2! I'm also happy that you posted some pics of (that other) Danny's BAF decals. I have two of these F-104G's and kept undecided which scheme I'd like to finish the second in, next to the RNLAF Zipper. I always liked the BAF adoption of the SEA came on their Thunderstreaks, 104's and Mirages, so a Belgian air-defense variant is tempting to me. Building a Dutch strike aircraft with all the gas bags under the wings and at the wingtips and a Belgian interceptor with underwing tanks and AIM-9's on the wingtips, heck, yeah! So de heer Coremans can expect an order!

Guest DannyVM

Thanks, Danny! BTW, you're spot-on with your painting of the C2! I'm also happy that you posted some pics of (that other) Danny's BAF decals. I have two of these F-104G's and kept undecided which scheme I'd like to finish the second in, next to the RNLAF Zipper. I always liked the BAF adoption of the SEA came on their Thunderstreaks, 104's and Mirages, so a Belgian air-defense variant is tempting to me. Building a Dutch strike aircraft with all the gas bags under the wings and at the wingtips and a Belgian interceptor with underwing tanks and AIM-9's on the wingtips, heck, yeah! So de heer Coremans can expect an order!

The DACO decals are superb Erik, you can really make every Starfighter that was flying in the Belgian inventory with these set. The included booklet gives the modeler a few choices to give the model some very interesting color scheme's.

DACO has also a very nice set for West German Starfighters, unique in their own.

Mine will be a 31e squadron Tiger machine.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Today i had some time to work on the 104 cockpit. First thing to do, finishing the ejection seat. The rest of the seat belt's where done, and again, i painted them myself to give them a more appropriate color variation.

Seat belt's in the PE color.

DSCN2002_zps03rgzhhn.jpg

DSCN2003_zpsffuqgxbl.jpg

DSCN2005_zps636sfob0.jpg

And after i repainted them.

DSCN2026_zps3flf271a.jpg

DSCN2027_zpsq0jszvam.jpg

DSCN2028_zpsu75oxodi.jpg

DSCN2029_zpsgv5b7eyj.jpg

Ejection ring and cable cutter ring are also added to the seat.

DSCN2030_zps5zlptxy5.jpg

DSCN2031_zps2r0fdnyi.jpg

Cockpit side consoles are also done with the Eduard colored PE.

DSCN2040_zpse2vhl4dn.jpg

DSCN2041_zpsjm1bj83q.jpg

The glossy shine on the colored PE will dissapear from the moment i paint them with a mat clear coat.

Also instrument panel is done.

DSCN2038_zpsxffcdlqn.jpg

Same here, gloss shine need's to vanish.

Time to test fit all part's into the cockpit tub.

DSCN2017_zpsr5m1xdry.jpg

DSCN2019_zpsyxhginfv.jpg

DSCN2020_zpsphh4ctwk.jpg

DSCN2021_zpsrkvrbbgk.jpg

DSCN2022_zpsjwzcuvhm.jpg

DSCN2024_zpsgkpdagiw.jpg

Some little touch-ups here and there, and i will be happy with the result.

Last thing to do, is to give the whole cockpit a wash. For this i use strong diluted MIG dark wash.

First, ejection seat.

DSCN2042_zpsirwx3do5.jpg

DSCN2043_zpso8mchbq3.jpg

DSCN2044_zpstsxqggq0.jpg

DSCN2045_zpspexpcyli.jpg

Second, cockpit tub.

DSCN2046_zpsjgkmzha5.jpg

DSCN2047_zpselbombjp.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Finally, cockpit is done.hmmm.gif

I painted the whole side consoles and IP with a mat coat. Dials got a gloss coat to simulate the glass.

Here are some final cockpit photo's before closing the fuselage.

DSCN2049_zps7dtnqz3v.jpg

DSCN2050_zpsxfzwqa8y.jpg

The colored PE isn't glossy any more. Much better now.frantic.gif

DSCN2051_zpsdezvnvbo.jpg

DSCN2052_zps1urebned.jpg

DSCN2053_zpst5u7hsf9.jpg

DSCN2054_zpsuyiqsajl.jpg

DSCN2055_zpsrabuv3gp.jpg

DSCN2056_zpslmxfkb9v.jpg

Thank's for watching guy's.

Greetz

Danny

Danny

I have watched your build and others of this new, to me, small, 1:32 scale modeling.  With my present 1:8 model build I have gotten some much needed practise with the tweezer.  I can see that this will be an acquired but necessary skill when building my next model and first 1:32 scale.  You have given me a number of good ideas that I will act on.  Thanks for doing what you do. 

TOMc

Guest DannyVM

Danny

I have watched your build and others of this new, to me, small, 1:32 scale modeling.  With my present 1:8 model build I have gotten some much needed practise with the tweezer.  I can see that this will be an acquired but necessary skill when building my next model and first 1:32 scale.  You have given me a number of good ideas that I will act on.  Thanks for doing what you do. 

TOMc

Hi Tom, first i wanna thank you for the nice comment mate.

Second, it's always a pleasure for me, when people can get tip's and idea's of a certain build, i can speak for myself. 1/32 is a fantastic scale in my opinion, so i'm very curious about you're 1/32 project. Please keep my informed. :)

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Thank's Paul for the really nice comment :)

Ok guy's, today I've don some work on the inside of the engine.

Inside was first painted with a brush, using Vallejo Air Zink Chromate green.

DSCN2059_zpsxcqqla9n.jpg

DSCN2061_zpswcudotbg.jpg

The rear cone and flame holder where done also with a brush, using Tamiya X-10 Gun Metal and Vallejo model color Bronze.

I also scratched a torch ignitor.

DSCN2063_zpsyn6pmyhv.jpg

DSCN2062_zps8q2c225x.jpg

After all was painted, i used a light wash of MIG dark wash dilluted with enamel thinner.

DSCN2072_zpsgyqayszx.jpg

I little dry-fit

DSCN2073_zpszlwguara.jpg

At last, i tackled the painted part's with some different colors of pigments.

DSCN2075_zpsubpkx0un.jpg

DSCN2076_zpso3fputkt.jpg

DSCN2074_zpsa7rreki3.jpg

Also the main wheel bay and it's landing gear is finished, ready to be glued into the fuselage.

DSCN2067_zpscgoxfmtm.jpg

DSCN2070_zpshdciotod.jpg

The wheels are the Eduard Brassin part's.

DSCN2069_zpsy0rmrqtn.jpg

DSCN2068_zpsseo0jmic.jpg

That's all folk's for now.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Stellar (pun intented) work Danny!

Love the gearbay..

Thank's Jeroen for the nice comment mate. :)  (Btwy, do you attend to go to Putte model convention next sunday??)

That gear bay looks just as if you found the real thing at a breaker's yard and dragged it

into your garage... Absolutely fantastic.

George

Wow George that's a really nice compliment mate, but sadly it isn't......it's still 1/32........ :)  :)  :)

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Yesterday i glued the two fuselage half's.

A sort of cutaway

DSCN2086_zps87xhikai.jpg

Cockpit glued also in place.

DSCN2087_zpsdvsa30gx.jpg

Wheel-bay glued.

DSCN2088_zpsf9ijswxo.jpg

And engine in it's place.

DSCN2089_zpsrcpujco5.jpg

And finally, closure of the fuselage.

DSCN2090_zpsptcvqn6t.jpg

Wheel bay appearance

DSCN2094_zpszzsuhzsk.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Nice work, Danny. Those Aires wheel bay inserts really do fit proper, don't they?

A modeller's convention at Putte, you said ?

Hm, last time I was there ( in 1991 ) was at the Harley club yearly festival.

( Don't remember much of it though, typically   :wine: )

Is that still on too?

George

Thank's George  :)

Indeed, those Aires wheel bay fit's very nice into the fuselage. Still caution is needed regarding the alignment. 

Yes, i need some stuff, that's why i go there, and it's not far from where i live. To be honest, i don't pay much more attention to the rest of the show.

To be honest, i don't know that there was ever a Harley club festival, that's not my cup of tea ;)

Greetz

Danny

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Today i did some detailing to the cockpit area. For this i used Eduard pe and kit's pe together with some scratch items and some plastic.

DSCN2120_zpsxvm5f07k.jpg

DSCN2121_zpsjdslrejw.jpg

Some details : explosive charges for canopy jettison and the emergency knife to break the cockpit canopy glass.

DSCN2122_zpsdwn8onbr.jpg

DSCN2124_zpspkh4z5ix.jpg

DSCN2126_zpsgdenunyx.jpg

DSCN2129_zpsf9kn1plr.jpg

I also finished the front wheel bay. This is a mix of kit part's and Aires.

DSCN2131_zpspcozoibs.jpg

DSCN2132_zpsxwup3oas.jpg

DSCN2134_zpsi3lmbbft.jpg

And finally the front gear bay glued on the fuselage kit part.

DSCN2136_zpsh8doohoj.jpg

DSCN2137_zpsdvppmtnn.jpg

DSCN2138_zpsr5rqam3i.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

I seriously LOVE that pit.

Very convincing!

Thank's Jeroen. :)

Pit and front cart housing are stellar, Danny.

Serious detailing shit going on there, and it just looks real.

( will you open your garage for scrutiny - I still think you are fooling us with

some cleverly photographed real stuff... )

Thank's George. :)

please feel free to come and take a look :D ...........but once you take a look into my garage you will notice something totally different standing there. :D  :D

Danny, this is awesome build, I will be following along! 

Thank's SsashoO :)

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

A little update for now,

i wasn't quite satisfied about the kit's canvas cover above the IP .

DSCN2151_zpspodl2uih.jpg

So i did some surgery

DSCN2152_zpszvnc5ulz.jpg

and finally, i came to this result

DSCN2155_zpswoozh3is.jpg

DSCN2154_zps2gkhvtjr.jpg

DSCN2153_zpsulrkcduj.jpg

It's not much and maybe not entirely acurate but i like it more the way it look's now. There is still some details to add so stay tuned.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Danny, have you tought aboyt using tissue instead of foil? You put it in diluted white glue and then on the required pkace and paint after it is dry. just an idea 

Oohhhh boy.......nope i didn't think about that one :censored: Thank's SsashoO to mention it and remind of that technique.

I'm gonna wait until i put a primer onto it, iff it's has not my desired result then i will try that, it's a little bit difficult to see now because of the glare appearance of the foil.

Again thank's for the tip :)

Greetz

Danny

Great project after the WW1 build. I'm loving the extra detail you are putting into it and the comparison effort between the kit parts and AM parts you are sharing. Its very educational for us. I love this jet but I don't have this kit, AM, books are decals...let's face it I don't have anything on this jet :( I need to get busy buying :) In the mean time, I'm learning from your wonderful build ;)

Mike