The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Belgian F-104G Starfighter. Italeri with lot's of aftermarket WIP.

Guest DannyVM

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

The Starfighter get's it's shape, this week i glued the wings, and made some adjustments to the wing tip tanks.

The wing tanks have weld seams, but in my opinion they are just oversized and not crisp molded, so i got rid of them.

Before

DSCN2175_zpswlvtnw3k.jpg

DSCN2174_zpsw4azmup4.jpg

After

DSCN2179_zpsugqpkbxo.jpg

Wing half's where glued together and nose cone is glued onto the fuselage. No issues regarding fit, everything went well.

DSCN2177_zpsgbtg2kro.jpg

DSCN2176_zpsje4la6fl.jpg

Look at this beast, it nearly fit's my sprayboot.

DSCN2178_zpsshj76jvv.jpg

Wings are dry-fitted, not glued yet.

Greetz

Danny

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Time to put some more work on the fuselage.fight.gif

I have some mixed feelings about the fit of the part's in this kit.hmmm.gif The fit is not bad at all, but some part's leave a nasty seam once they are glued. Some is caused due to the tooling nature of the kit part's, on the other hand i'm sure some of these issues are caused by myself......i thinkmental.gif .

Ok, time to glue the tail section onto the fuselage. Here, these two part's fit fairly good, but still there's a nasty seam line visible, while on the real plane this is almost invisible from a fairly distance.

DSCN2209_zpsqwpld8pv.jpg

So i decided to fill up this seam line. First thing to do, taping the edges.

DSCN2210_zpsbre6ajmj.jpg

DSCN2211_zpsm4pebwfz.jpg

DSCN2212_zpsft4fpvg9.jpg

Also the air brakes didn't fit properly, i will deal with that also.fight.gif

Next thing to do, fill the nasty seam, for this i use Tamiya putty mixed with Revell Contacta Liquid, this gives me enough time to fill the seam with a pin pointed accuracy. 

DSCN2214_zpsjt8bxfvf.jpg

After the putty dried, i removed the tape

DSCN2224_zps4ew5abfy.jpg

DSCN2223_zps7lmps9vr.jpg

During the drying time of the putty i did some touch up's on the fuel tanks. For this i used Mr. Surfacer 500.

DSCN2217_zpsywq1s93b.jpg

And also the wing pylons and fuselage pylon for the SUU-21 bomb dispenser where primed.

DSCN2229_zpsr4nv3d6t.jpg

A quick dry-fit of the wings onto the fuselage.

DSCN2231_zpsh5aqofnk.jpg

And finally today i managed to sand the filled seam line and did some touch up's, again with the help of Mr.Surfacer 500

DSCN2236_zps3hczjzph.jpg

DSCN2234_zpsyqxvrgh7.jpg

DSCN2233_zpsk0ebi0yi.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Today, i did some further work regarding the fuselage and wings.

First, i sanded the filled seam line that separated the two fuselage half's.

DSCN2239_zpsjlb4viwg.jpg

In my opinion, it look's allot better now.

DSCN2240_zpspjwpzzot.jpg

Wings where finally glued onto the fuselage.

DSCN2242_zpsr3njpioc.jpg

Flaps and slats where also glued.

DSCN2241_zpsqybr5taq.jpg

On the top of the fuselage there are lot's of inspection hatches, but in my opinion they are very ugly engraved, so i decided to fill them and later replace them.

DSCN2243_zpsgvxfyt5i.jpg

For this, i used the well know MR. Surfacer 500.

DSCN2244_zpsqyueljya.jpg

DSCN2245_zpstxeczyys.jpg

DSCN2246_zpsyje0qrc8.jpg

Greetz

Danny

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Finally, the Starfighter is ready to got his first complete primer layer. This week i made all preparations regarding this work.

All part's are ready to, including the entrance ladder and pilot.

When finished this i will control all seam's, rivets and panel lines, if necessary i will paint another primer layer so all is excellent to give the Vietnam camo paint.

First, this is how it look's 

DSCN2253_zpsxugvecsc.jpg

Area's that where badly damaged like some inspection hatches where repaired with self adhesive alu foil.

DSCN2254_zps9crocjxb.jpg

DSCN2259_zps7deqseyc.jpg

This is how it will be in my mind once this bird is finished. Still some work to do.

DSCN2260_zps8uj4putc.jpg

Pilot ready to boarding, still without his oxygen mask. Very nice about this figure is, that there are 5 helmets types in the box for a 60's-70's pilot.

DSCN2262_zpspvbw51ki.jpg

DSCN2263_zpsz2se7lln.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Coming along nicely! Love the use of the foil - and relieved to see I'm not the only one for whom this is a long-term effort!

Thank's Matt,

indeed, it's not the best kit.

Greetz

Danny

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

After some painstaking filling, rescribing and sanding, it was finally time to put some paint on this bird.

First i gave all part's and the F-104 a pre-shade. For this i used Alclad black primer. Reason for this choice is simply because i will use the DACO enamel Vietnam camo colors. This way, nothing can go wrong.

Before the pre-shade

DSCN2269_zpslbjwmptf.jpg

F-104 after the pre-shade

DSCN2270_zpswyagelp3.jpg

Different part's also pre-shaded, note, the two wing tip tanks have already received there bare metal finish.

DSCN2271_zpsvb76kyxj.jpg

Belgian Starfighters often flew with bare metal external wing tip tanks, mixed with under wing fuel tanks that where painted in there Vietnam camo. I like that contrast, so i chosed to add two external wing tip tanks in their bare metal finish.

DSCN2272_zpsszbanczh.jpg

For this i used Alclad Aluminium.

DSCN2274_zpseflg8pe4.jpg

The two other under wing external fuel tanks, received their first part of the Vietnam camo, the Vietnam light grey for the underside.

DSCN2279_zpsfkehh9nq.jpg

Same go's for the Starfighter himself.

DSCN2284_zpsfv1gendf.jpg

DSCN2285_zpsgkeankad.jpg

To be honest, i don't know why i ever chosed to use acrylics instead of enamels. Oh boy, these paint go's very smooth, and with the DACO special thinner this paint dry's much faster then normal enamel use.

Still, enamel paint need's to cure for some hours, so time to paint some details.evil_laugh.gif

The IP panel shroud and cover is painted with Vallejo model color and afterwards i gave it a treatment with diluted oil paint.

DSCN2289_zpspldlzx5x.jpg

DSCN2287_zpsfbkgbich.jpg

I couldn't resist.........that pilot needed also some paint, so i started his face and helmet.

DSCN2296_zpsihuj64ii.jpg

DSCN2299_zpssrrz7fme.jpg

DSCN2300_zpsfdttheww.jpg

That's all for now.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Looking sweet Danny. You can't help but love the sweet lines on this jet. Kelly Johnson sure was way ahead of his time  ;) 

He sure was :)

Thank's for the nice comment. :)

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Second color of the Vietam camo color is painted. Again i used the DACO authentic enamel range which is excellent to use.

I forgot to mention the first color i painted for the undersides, which was DACO PA-22 Vietnam light grey.oops.gif

So, second color is the DACO PA-21 Vietnam Tan.

The Belgian Air Force used a different sort of the Pale Green and Tan, compared to the Vietnam style colors used by the U.S.A.F.

Photo of the freshly painted 104 yesterday

DSCN2303_zpsc3nffjqo.jpg

I chosed to paint all colors separate from each other, which means that between each color i always mask the surfaces to protect the pre-shade and previous painted area's. It's a painstaking work, but the result's is much better.

DSCN2304_zps0yhotopt.jpg

The intake cone and cover are not glued yet, this is to acces easy the hidden area's for painting.

DSCN2306_zpso9ap279q.jpg

The horizontal stabilizer, also not glued yet.

DSCN2307_zpsy8ffox3v.jpg

Between the painting sessions i remove the maskings. I learned that the pritt poster buddy's have an effect on the freshly painted surfaces when it keeps in place for a few day's.

Here they are still attached to the surface.

DSCN2310_zpsma1ooenx.jpg

DSCN2311_zpseu41yx5w.jpg

After removal of the masking tape 

DSCN2312_zpskny0irbn.jpg

I masked the camo pattern close to the underside light grey area. But for the camo pattern which still need to painted i used free hand to prevent a hard edge came when masked. That way there will be no visible lines when the other camo colors are painted.

DSCN2313_zpsntuhi8ji.jpg

DSCN2315_zpslzzfud0i.jpg

DSCN2316_zps3lmrxwvu.jpg

DSCN2317_zpsj7lnhldl.jpg

DSCN2318_zpsgxwm6f3l.jpg

DSCN2319_zpstjoensrl.jpg

DSCN2320_zpsiprzmjfn.jpg

The left side intake is painted completely in Vietnam Tan, so time to glue the intake cone on it's place.

DSCN2321_zps2fyak61d.jpg

When the glue is cured, i will glue the intake cover.

Greetz

Danny

• 1 month later...
Guest DannyVM

Well guy's, it's bin a while since i posted some progress on the "104".

At the moment, the Starfighter got his Vietnam Camo pattern, but there's are some issue's. The camo pattern isn't quit like i want it to be, so i will repaint some area's to get a nicer result. Also there is some over spray at different surfaces, also these must be repainted.

A few day's ago, after i painted the Vietnam light green color. With this color i had some very serious problem's. The pigment of the paint just didn't mix with the paint, but sank to the bottom of the jar, resulting in a granular substance with the result of constipating the airbrush.

After a troubling airbrush session, this was the result.

DSC_0015_zpsioikrike.jpg

DSC_0016_zps827vaz96.jpg

DSC_0017_zpsvtvmyjxr.jpg

DSC_0022_zpsg9zzlxbn.jpg

I almost putted the whole project on the shelf of doomfight.gif ..........

But, i'm eager to finnish this beast, so i will go until the bitter end.frantic.gif

After the last color was added, thing's looked much better.

DSC_0026_zpszozq7ttk.jpg

DSC_0027_zps6f4fqndy.jpg

Today, i tackled the engine exhaust. I used the Eduard Brassin example, but before i could get a proper fit, there had to be much cutting, sanding and cursing.......BANGHEAD2.jpg

to get a proper fit.

DSCN2362_zps7kaqmwyu.jpg

DSCN2363_zpsi2gior42.jpg

DSCN2364_zpssamhu14j.jpg

A dry fit into the fuselage, and i'm happy with this result.

DSCN2365_zpswlmkhe9i.jpg

DSCN2366_zpskbf9npdy.jpg

Next step, painting the exhaust, for this i chosed Alclad Pale Burnt Metal.

DSCN2367_zpsjwwqe45p.jpg

DSCN2369_zpswnefhl87.jpg

And finally, the exhaust got some pigment's to get a more realistic appearance.

DSC_0029_zpskmsmccvg.jpg

DSC_0028_zpsxh0psbgu.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Thank's Jeroen. :)

Previous i mentioned that this bird would be a 31e Smaldeel "Tiger" machine. As i'm modeling the FX-76, i learnt that this particular machine flew with the 23e "Devils" Smaldeel, so i changed the pilot helmet from Tiger markings to Devils markings.

DSCN2381_zpslyw2jxxq.jpg

Some minor details has to be taken care of, thing's are far from done, also at the moment these photo's where taken, the decals where curing from the Micro Sol.

DSCN2382_zpszltjxk1v.jpg

DSCN2383_zpstifo85j2.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Looking good Danny, the pilot is especially good. What type of paints are you using? 

Thank's GusMac for the nice comment. :)

For the model itself is use DACO and Humbrol enamels regarding the SEA camo scheme.De rest is done with Tamiya Acrylics and Vallejo.

For the pilot i use only the Vallejo Model Color and Model Air paints. The markings on the helmet are DACO decals.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Very nice Danny. Was that Devil's emblem on the helmet from the kit or did you created one yourself?

Mike 

Thank's Mike for the nice comment. :)

The helmet markings come's on the DACO decal sheet for the Belgian Starfighter. There are helmet markings on it for four Smaldelen. 31e Tiger, 23e Devil, 349e Morningstar and the 350e Ambiorix Squadrons. Also the unit shoulder patches are present on the decal sheet.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Fantastic job Danny! I applaud your perseverance... 

Dennis, thank's for the nice comment. :)

It's a demanding model to build, but the problems with the DACO paint makes thing's much harder. :angry:

Greetz

Danny