The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

From Lancaster to Manchester, a tale of two cities (LSM exclusive)

Hi all,

After two consecutive displays at Telford the time has come for the HK Models prototype Lancaster To start a new career, to transform into it's original twinengined predeccessor the AVRO Manchester. the basic kit has been carefully disassembled into it's major parts. Luckily all parts came away cleanly. The transparencies are opaque and cannot be used but will provide great service as masters for new parts. The model is almost devoid of details but will provide a great canvas for rescribing etc. This thread will only be posted here on LSM as a long term project. I am looking forward to scratchbuild the interior etc. Anyway, here are some pics for starters.

Cheers

Cees

image_zps6x8tq1jo.jpeg

image_zpsr6onjflm.jpeg

image_zps6nggglp6.jpeg

• Like 7

Hi Clark,

Welcome to LSM. Hadn't spotted you earlier.

The catch is that the Manchester was fitted with two Rolls royce Vulture engines, and the Lancaster had four Merlins.

The span of the Manchester was shorter as well. So the outer wings need to be sawed apart and two Vulture nacelles need to be scratchbuild.

I did it before on a Tamiya Lanc so the project is feasible.

Abd it is fun fun fun.

Cees

• Like 2

As promised, my appetite for destruction has been satisfied this afternoon. The trusty saw still knows how to wreak havoc in unsuspecting Lancaster assemblies. It must have had a deja vu.

The undercarriage came away clean, the wheels were sawed away from the legs. The centre will be drilled through to accept an axle later. That way the ( much smaller) wheels can be easily fitted after the landinggear has been completed. The current wheels are too large in diameter for a Manchester as well as having thread. So new ones will be sought. The nacelles were cut off followed by the outer wings. The centre of the inner nacelles remain as a basis for the new firewall and rear fairings.

The centre section is identical to the Lancaster. It's the outer wings that need to be heavily modified, but more of that later. this will be a Mk Ia with the later Lancaster tail. The triple tail of the earlier seems to be too much work, as I have already a lot to do.

Cheers

Cees

image_zpsvgirl8sj.jpeg

image_zpsm6xkcohl.jpeg

image_zpsg1nbym8a.jpeg

image_zpsve6vkhm5.jpeg

• Like 1

Hmm. But that means Shortening the wingspan of the horizontal tailplane and reshaping the fins as well as changing the bomb doors as the earlier manchester did not have the slightly bulged lancaster type doors.

Let me sleep on it.

Cees

Nope, slept on it.

I will keep the Lancaster tail and the model will be finished in the markings of L7518, remember that one George?

Same as my 1/48 model and the aircraft of which we recovered bits near Warmenhuizen.

Cees

Loads and loads Jeroen, ;)

But the hacking of the airframe is finished now (only later the outerwings will have to be shortened and a triangular section taken out of them).

Next is to make the cockpit floor, on this all interior details will be fitted. Looking forward to that.

Only problem that superglue doesn't seem to get a grip on the "plastic" used. It looks like it was 3d printed but not sure about that. It's certainly

not resin.

Cees