The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

converting the HK Models prototype Lancaster into a Manchester.

Hi Gus,

That is still open to debate. Perhaps I will try Jeroen's way on his Hurricane by using PET-plastic from packaging. With strip I will

make a ledge for the transparency to fit on to sit flush with the wingsurface. But as Tom says, small updates like this can get the

blocked modelling juices flowing again.

Cees

Fashioning wingtiplightcovers from thick perspex. With a drill a hole is....well...drilled to represent a clear bulb.

The front covers will have a similar set up but with the cavitties filled with red and green paint. Then some serious

hacking is needed to shape the wingtips. First time I used this glue, it works great.

Cees

20160808_200923_zpskjbtiqdh.jpg

No pics this time but all four wingtip lights have been made from perspex. Carving and sanding is underway to shap them

to the graceful tips. After that the nacelles will be under investigation.

Cees

• Like 1

Indeed, this Perspex used is very hard and difficult to sand. But using a craft knife you can carve away the big bits and smooth it

with a very coarse file from the toolchest. After polishing it should be fine.

Tom, perhaps the tape is a bit too pronounced but another coat of Mr Surfacer should tone that tone a bit.

20160815_200852_zpsnawwvgcu.jpg

• Like 1

I think so too. Perhaps I will run a rivetting tool along the strips before coating them with a final layer of Mr Surfacer to represent the stitches.

Will do some experimenting first (not on the Manchester).

Cees

• Like 1

As mentioned before the Manchester will have a closed fuselage. To attempt building a full interior bombay nearly cost me my motivation. The doors have been joined again for final shaping including glueing a small section back on after the first attempt at removing the doors was too short.

20160822_195127_zpsme5o9pma.jpg

• Like 2

It does Tom. I am quite relieved that I have abandoned that that hurdle.

The Manchester is interesting already with closed doors. As soon as the Lanc will be out I will do that one with the doors open.

Cees

• Like 3

Working on the panellines. With pencil the lines are marked out. When everything is neat and square they will be scribed. The join between the centre section and outer wing was covered with a metal strip. I will represent this with aluminium tape.

Cees

20160829_201651_zpsw0wusinz.jpg

• Like 4

Both upper wings have the panellines now marked out. The A3 cutting mat shows the size. With the curvature of the wings it is

difficult to get the chordwise lines straight. Some Dymo tape will sort that out.

20160830_193633_zpsfoqyeiql.jpg

• Like 2