Jump to content

converting the HK Models prototype Lancaster into a Manchester.


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Although this project has been started in the work in progress section recently, I thought it fitting to continue it here.

For the previous work done, see here:

 

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/4248-from-lancaster-to-manchester-a-tale-of-two-cities-lsm-exclusive/

 

I have been concentrating on the interior structure, which has almost be finished. the two oblong windows typical for the Manchester have been opened up carefully, which went surprisingly easy. Thankfully as some 18 or so more need to be opened up in the fuselage, and need to be uniform too. The skinpanels have been pencilled in before rescribing. Also have made a start converting the Lancaster tailfin into the shorter Manchester triple tail version.

Hope you like.

Cheers

Cees

 

20160101_160829_zpsuir8ytpq.jpg

 

 

1451642459399_zps1kowasax.jpg

 

20160101_160846_zpsdwgwqr6y.jpg

 

1451500376533_zpsnwwoaqbg.jpg

 

1451500765630_zpsngiabnth.jpg

 

1451502285921_zpsyxs7bbaa.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me too Anthony. After another coat of Parket Plus( Dutch brand similar to Future) I coudn’t wait anymore and demasked  the fuselage. At first I wanted to apply a matt coat but that would be unrea

After some 4 years the fuselage is whole again. I forgot what a big stick it is. filling, sanding to follow. After that the details to complete the fuselage will commence. The fun work so to say.

Thanks Tom, but the fuselage and tail first as a project . Speaking of which, this evening, after rescribing some lost panellines I suddenly realized that nothing more could be done but putting o

Posted Images

Yes I can, but will have to wait six months hehe.

I'm on a roll here and enjoying this kit immensely. Have been experimenting with rivetting the

cockpitfloor. The Lanc used dome headed rivets in the fuselage and due to the greenhouse

canopy will be very visible. Weathering will bring out the detail too later.

using rosie the rivetter tool I got from Jeroen the panellines were recreated.

 

Cheers

Cees

 

1451673034261_zpshk31u0tx.jpg

 

20160101_194816_zpsvljq6kvk.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

another instalment,

This will be an early triple tail manchester which had a span smaller than the Mk Ia and later Lancaster. So some more surgery was needed.

the other tailfin was also shortened. The endplates need to be fitted to the tailplanes and the fins need an aerofoil sanded, but the basic Manchester tail is shaping up very well.

Cheers

Cees

 

20160103_170410_zpsorpzmeyq.jpg

 

20160103_171722_zpswcrvp4io.jpg

 

20160103_174313_zpsysxqtjdo.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Update,

The tailfeathers have been set in place using tape with the central fin still a plastic card template. Shape of things to come.

Also the elevators have been removed so these can be set at an angle. These still need detailing.

 

Cees

 

20160104_191516_zps1b4tjdve.jpg

 

20160104_195338_zpsb0konaon.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Fran,

Before diving headfirst into cockpit detailing I decided to get the basic components roughly ready. The wingtips were removed

from the outer wings. The wings themselves will be radically converted by reducing the span chord and taper of the outer wings.

The aileron position need to be changed as well. Lust u nog peultjes? But that will come much later to preserve my sanity.

I also managed to re-use the tailwheel fork and tyre. The latter had the anti-shimmy groove sanded off and the edges will be rounded off

to create the earlier balloon tyre. (shimmy is similar to your shopping trolley where one wheel doesn't want to keep straight but keeps on spinning around its axis).

Hope you like.

Cheers

Cees

 

20160106_193509_zpsqwaqtznb.jpg

 

20160106_202312_zpsckixfona.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Cees, looking great. Can't imagine chopping up something like this without stressing so much about screwing it up. You're a brave man!

 

As a pedantic physicist the proper name for the shimmy is precession and it is also a pain in the a**s with our hospital trolleys and wheelchairs!

 

Cheers

 

Gus

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Work is continuing with the tedious stuff, engraving the panellines. Using dymotape and a Tamiya scriber. Also noted that the bombbay was too short so cut that part out too. Have to stick that bit back on the bombdoors later.

Cheers

Cees

 

20160115_193646_zpso2mqaoxj.jpg

 

20160115_194957_zps3ogxqcf9.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The main fuselage has been rescribed. Very pleased about the strakness of the lines.

Note to self: mark out entrance door first before rescribing. Saves me some filling.

Mr Surfacer will take care of that one.

Glad that major bit is out if the way. Marking out the apples....errr windows next.

Cees

 

20160117_181859_zps23x13lxz.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...