The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

• Administrators

Sometimes, a kit really grabs you.

For me, that grab was the new Yak-3, from Special Hobby. A simple kit, and in some cases, a bit of a diamond in the rough. I don't mean that disrespectfully, but it does need just a few tweaks here and there, and maybe more so that the recent Tempest. It also doesn't have any alignment pins, unlike the new Tempest. It feels a little retrograde, in alignment with previous SH releases.....but better. Does that make sense?

This is the scheme I'm going to build. This one is a little different because it has a Tricolour rudder, without the standard Russian star. 

SH32067-Yak-3-camo-D.jpg

This kit needs a few tweaks here and there, to aid fit, and when you work out what those tweaks are, then assembly is pretty straight forward. It's not as fraught as it initially looks. As with most things I build these days, here is the rough, taped together kit, minus its tweaks to make it fit better:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-17%20at%2022.25.

Looks can be deceiving, and you will need to do a few remedial things to make this fit better. One of them is to reduce the ridge on the upper wing, aiding fuse alignment, by 50%. Do this and all gaps close, magically, with no need for any putty. Maybe a smear of Mr Surfacer, and that's it. Quite neat.

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-17%20at%2022.26.

The clamp here is to align and secure the underside plate for the rear radiator section. Nothing too traumatic. 

The cockpit on this model is excellent. I should know, as this is one of my favourite areas, and I like my pits to be comprehensive and engaging. Of course, you can always add more here, but the resin parts included are superb, and you will need to remove the crap moulded radio receiver before you can add the resin replacement. The rudder pedals are also resin, as is the primer pump. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-17%20at%2022.27.

The pit fits to the upper wing, but not before you build the undercarriage wells, paint and weather them.

Paint on this model is generally from MR PAINT, and here is the Blue-Grey underside work:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-17%20at%2022.28.

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-17%20at%2022.28.

I'll post more of this when I start to assemble the main components and add some paint.

I hope you like it.

• Like 6

Hi James, thanks for sharing your exellent reviews and model skills to all of us fellow kit constructors. I want one of these Yak's and when they arrive in Australia I'll snatch one of the shelf. I've been wanting to get a start on a Russian subject for quite a while, but I'm a big fan of radial 'donks' myself, but reading a article about the Normandie pilots that flew 'yaks over Konigsberg' is now a definite must have! So I will watch and learn as I admire the quality of your builds enormously and thanks for building a subject that I'm keen to get a start on. Regards...Oz

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...