Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/32 Revell RF-4C 14th TRS

4 hours ago, SapperSix said:

Many thanks to Kai for sending me a Tamiya ladder for the Phantom.  Once built and installed pictures will follow.  Hopefully some professional type pictures.

You are more than welcome Frank! 
Looking forward to seeing it installed in your beautiful bird! 
Kai

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 9:13 PM, Kaireckstadt said:

You are more than welcome Frank! 
Looking forward to seeing it installed in your beautiful bird! 
Kai

I will take my time as this is the finishing touch.  I started gluing last night.  IF all goes well, it will get a nice black base coat tonight.  One of many reasons I like modeling is the fine community members that it seems to attract.  Kudos to you Kai!!

On 4/23/2021 at 7:05 AM, Axeman said:

Amazing work!  

Thank you sir.  As I look back on this build all I see is things that I would do different with all that I have learned from the many members of LSM.  Another Phantom build is in the works to implement all that I have learned.  Should be interesting.

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Frank

Spectacular build, your F4 looks just so good.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you Peter.  Its no Peterpools build but its getting there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

The Tamiya ladder (in black primer) is wonderful.  Unfortunately the Tamiya ladder has some scale/size differences from the Revel ladder (in yellow) and the messed up intake scaling in the Revell kit accentuates any differences. 

IMG_5214.thumb.JPG.5428c6dc4fc2edfe79680ad50e063741.JPG

IMG_5215.thumb.JPG.9d5572759d8887dcceb179218448b689.JPG

The angle of the ladders supporting brace against the fuselage is off due to the a fore mentioned issues. The picture shows the brace resting against the splitter and not the fuselage.  If I cut the support off and make the appropriate changes in angles to the ladder support, part of the ladder will still arc out over the splitter.   If I do this he ladder will not be adhered to the plane so the owner can decide if its an issue or not.  I am toying with the idea of cutting each rung and scaling the width of the Tamiya ladder to fit despite the progress on the ladder. 

IMG_5218.thumb.JPG.920f49cc1d5fa085ebbdca9cae6f89b4.JPG

I had a friend help me make the WSO(GIB) ladder for the Phantom using a 3D printer.  The file for the ladder was originally made for a RC plane.  Not sure if the 3D printer is going to allow us to make the rounded hand holds of the ladder as the printers resolution is lacking decent resolution.  Work still to be done with that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On the Tamiya F-4 the ladder doesn’t cause any fit problems. I‘m really astouned that it doesn’t fit to the Revell model. 
The Revell ladder is a little bit smaller but not 2-3 mm.

I would also try to reduce the width and enlarge the ladder support and make the support smaller so that it fits to the fuselage.

I‘m curious Frank how she will look like with both ladders attached!

• Like 3