Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Axeman

  1. You have no idea (well maybe we all do) how many times I have visited the carpet monster. Thankfully some of the extra photoetch I have has multiple pieces speaking of tweezers I may need some new ones after this project Tim
  2. More work around the gunner and commanders station. I decided to remove the molded in wiring. Also worked on the sidewall components. Most are not glued in yet as I am still working on the wiring. You can see some of the wiring starting at the bottom of the picture. Added details to the bottom of the turret control box. You can see the connections on the actual photo. Also added detail to the manual traverse handle. that is it for the week. Not as productive as I would like to have been. Tim
  3. More work this week. Finished the hydraulic lines around the traverse mechanism. I was not sure where the cable from the manual firing pedal went to, so I decided to put the gun mount together and maybe I could find where it leads to (I think I found it). Pictures are of the gun mount assembled as well as the underside and with parts disassembled for easy painting. Added a plate at the bottom of the counter weights to the recoil guards as the actual photos show this. It is a good thing as the bottom of the counter weights was not pretty. Added detail to the telesco
  4. Amazing work. Watching closely at the rigging. Hoping to learn a few things. Tim
  5. I have one book, History of the American Medium Tank, more importantly the M4A3 Medium Tank Technical Manual TM 9-759 along with about a ream worth of print outs from the internet. The Technical manual has the most from wiring to fuel line Restoration of tanks are good references. Tim
  6. I got one of the last wing nut wings from Andy’s Hobby Headquarters last October. I have never built one and I am looking forward to it. Tim
  7. Thank you for the encouragement. Not much work today and tomorrow afternoon. Taking my son out to dinner for his 21st birthday. I might get a little more done Sunday night. Fingers crossed. Tim
  8. A few more things added to the turret interior. Finished the wiring in the back. Added the commanders seat and the loader seat. Add the pin and chain for the securing of the seat. Added attachment points for more cabling to the traverse mechanism and finally the latches on the ready ammo storage. There is also one on the other side. The one thing I am trying to figure out is the cabling from the manual firing pedal (pedal is located on the left corner of the turret floor and has a hole drilled on top) where in the bottom of the gun does it go to. I cannot find a good picture of it. I will
  9. That is one large kit. Looking forward to how this comes together. Tim
  10. Looking great! I like the subject. I want to try a 1/72 submarine one day. Keep the photos coming. Tim
  11. More work on the turret interior this week. Put the turret together. Adding some bolts to the seat base. Wiring to the radio terminal box with additional wiring to come. The bottom of the turret just did not look good as it can be removed to see the interior, and the bottom of the turret floor will be visible. Removed the molded in portion of the collector ring, added a scratch built ring, put a new floor for the bottom of the 6 round ammo storage, filled in the open portion below the gun firing box and added wiring to the new collector ring. The actual photo of the collector r
  12. The painting is amazing. The prop is just stunning. Great work! Tim
  13. Small update. Created a stand for the turret so as I attach the basket it will not roll all over. Also started the wiring. Tim
  14. Love the painting. Outstanding. Tim
  15. On the topic of cabling. I made the decision to remove the molded on cabling on the back of the turret that runs up to the radio and to the commanders area. Hopefully it will be wired up by this weekend.
  16. I realized that to find out where I need to position the collector ring box I need to find out how far down the turret "basket" drops down. So I started to work on the turret basket and it components. First I started on the latches on some of the storage boxes on the floor of the basket and the storage on either side of the radio box. The photo etch latches, are not exactly correct, but are good enough. Using a 3D printer for them would be best but I do not have one of those. So, this will have to do. Looking at the one box with a photo etch latch and the kit molded in latch. N
  17. Well, I did not get as much done as I had hoped. Finished the collector ring box. In the photo of an actual collector ring the top portion, in the kit, is attached to the turret "basket" floor. I plan on leaving it attached in some form as I plan on simulating electrical lines to it. I might remove it, insert the U shaped attachment device and re-glue it back. To determine how far down the collector ring needs to sit I need to start to do work on the turret "basket" floor. Pictured is progress so far. Until next week. Tim
  18. Thanks. Working on the collector ring.
  19. Looking good so far. Great work. Tim
  20. Worked on the main ammo storage. First, I drilled out all of the openings for the shells. The kit only has two rows of openings and the rest are the tops of shells glued to the top of the opening. Next, I removed a portion of the sides creating a zig zag shape. Once that was removed I added an L-shaped bar on the top and and braces from each of the "ammo storage boxes". The actual storage units you could see through between the bar and the boxes. In the color photo of the actual storage, you can see the openings on the right. I will also make the collector ring which you can see b
  • Create New...