The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

P-47D questions colors

mark31

Hello to you all

im thinking to build a P-47D bubble top

Now tru my search on the net i found a lot off difrent colors for the pit but i found out that it will be dark dull green

now for the engine compartment

the fire wall will that be the same color?

i have seen zinc chromat yellow,intirior green,.....

the inside off the cowl seems metal to me

thanks for the advice

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark, the manual of the Eduard/Hasegawa P-47D I'm actually working on is calling for 90% Zinc Chromatic Green plus 10% Flat Black for the Cockpit, which is slightly darker than the bright pit Colour of other American birds. I used AK's Interior Green which to my eye represents that perfectly.
Wheel wells and firewalls are Chromate Yellow, but the inside of the engine cowlings and the air cooling channels under the engine seem to have different Colours on different planes. Some of the air ducts are  Chromate Yellow, some are light gray and some are like the P-47D from Chino left in natural Aluminium.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mark31 said:

thanks will go for intirior green for the pit and zinc chromate for engine compartment

Mark

Hey Mark

The interior of all P-47s was dull dark green, some say bronze green. The interior of the rest of the plane was zink chromate. The fire wall was natural aluminum as was the interior of the cowl. Check out my "Checkertail" build and you can see how I did mine it's done with Vallejo model air paints.

Ron G 

5 hours ago, mark31 said:

Hello to you all

im thinking to build a P-47D bubble top

Now tru my search on the net i found a lot off difrent colors for the pit but i found out that it will be dark dull green

now for the engine compartment

the fire wall will that be the same color?

i have seen zinc chromat yellow,intirior green,.....

the inside off the cowl seems metal to me

thanks for the advice

Mark

Be careful with the colors. The -47 was built in Farmingdale NY P-47 -RE, Evansville IN P-47 -RA and in Buffalo NY P-47G-CU.

Republic build -REs and RAs. Curtiss built CUs.

All three used different interior colors, from almost yellow to almost onrange on the airframe interior. The cockpits also used different interior greens. Curtiss built -47s are the easiest as they used more or less the standard interior green and yellow.

Evansville and Farmingdale is a whole different deal, since colors changed with the different versions of the -47.

The first thing you need to determine is who manufactured  the original -47 you are planning to build.

I will find some literature to inform myself a bit better and to share with you later today.

• Like 2

The Curtiss built P-47's were kept in the States and used for trainers, they never saw combat. The build quality on them was very poor.

The descripencys in the cockpit colors on P-47's derives from the construction manual stating to mix 1 gallon of black to 1 gallon of zink chromate (which was a transparent yellowy green) giving you a dark almost black green, thus dull dark green. It should have read 1/10 gallon of black to 1 gallon of zink chromate, which would have given you interior green. Dull dark green, bronze green, interior green and curtiss cockpit green are available in Vallejo model air paints. I don't know there numbers but when I'm back in my modeling area I'll find them and post em.

Ron G 

• Like 1

Ok I found them

ANA611 - interior green/Vallejo equivalent 71.137 us light green

Bronze green/Vallejo equivalent 71.013+70.522 yellow olive

Dark dull green/Vallejo equivalent 71.124 USAF green

Zink chromate yellow/Vallejo equivalent 71.107 US interior yellow 

Zink chromate green/Vallejo equivalent 71.094 green zink chromate 

Ron G 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Ok I found them