The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HPH C-47

Clunkmeister

And for the record, Pinocchio, is now a 'gate guard' at CFB Cold Lake, and when I was there about 10 years ago, she was getting a little worse for wear, her de-icing boots were fraying and her paint was fading, I hope the base maintenance boys have touched her up since then, as she does take a beating in the Northern Alberta winters.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Douglas-C-47-Dakota--RCAF-ground-crew.jp

Martin,  this pic is of 435 Chinthe Squdrron RCAF, and is taken at Tulihul Airfield in India, in 1945 the guy in the drivers seat is Bruce Waddell, a good friend of my dad and that is MY dad's fuel truck, Bruce was driving that day, C 47 MkIII "R" Robert is Dak KJ 902.

• Like 4

It is that for sure, dad was a founding member of 435, was one of the very first to arrive in England, he was lucky to be one of the few to have flown over instead of ship, said it was hot as Hell over there, he was with the squadron until it disbanded at Down Ampney in 1946. He would also go as a kicker on occasion, they were supplying the British 14th Army, he was 23 then... 96 now soon to be 97..... when we were invited to CFB Winnipeg in the late '80's for the C47 retirement, I got to meet the pilot who flew the airplane dad went from England to India in  FL/LT George Dungee, and TWO of the retiring Canadian Forces C47s at CFB Winnipeg was with 435 Sqdn in 1945, I went with dad and we sat in one together.... that was kind of a cool moment.....the airplane was pristine , like all of our CF birds....

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Don’t worry about the hijack, folks. Bring it on. This is now a C-47 thread.

I feel bad though, but it is like a disease or 'fetish' ( oh geez pretend I didn't say that ) or more of an addiction..... this may get a bit carried away Ern..... I have quite a few different Dakota photos....................................210063078_LACPeterRobinsonfuelingDakotaatTulihul(Imphal)India.png.6f4090b716e292979f4eadaf4b4003ba.png

My dad is on the left wing of this 435 Dak at Tulihul India 1945 re-fueling it for the next op..... and that is the same fuel truck in Martin's pic above......

• Like 2

and a little action from 435 Chinthe Squadron RCAF 1945 in India, my dad  was ground crew in the Motor Transport section, but was occasionally requested to go as a kicker.... this is a good show as to how they did it....

• Like 2