The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HPH C-47

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

Is anyone considering doing this kit?   Well, I will be digging into it later this year. I received the kit last week, and it lives up to the hype. Upper and lower wing scoring matches, and the parts are pretty much flawless. 

This weekend, I’ll take some kit pics and get a review together, but until then, I’ll point out the only “oops” I saw on the kit.  

The C-47 fuselage, unfortunately, was moulded with the DC-3 tail fairing, which was eliminated for most C-47s.  All glider tugs were delivered without the tail cone, so you’ll need to check references,  but ALL civilian production had the tailcone.  Postwar, many were modified by installing this fairing, but most WW2 C-47s did not have the tailcone, the fuselage ended with a blunt cut under the rudder trailing edge....  

Not a difficult fix, but beware. 

E6A49A41-07D1-4582-BEFB-EF03DAAFAB24.jpeg

5F68D30D-86A6-4A88-BB38-F36BA6EB0757.jpeg

C5CE1CE9-02C6-47D7-948B-F82894956F28.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

C-47

1A75CBDD-CADC-4830-BB8B-330E0D2E5E19.thumb.jpeg.2a53e093c691d8e695b6e8e58ed65e04.jpeg

What is this horrible contraption above the wings :wtf: ?

I know the C-47s still serving are utility work-horses, and that re-engining the old bird is sometimes absolutely necessary ... But THIS makes interwar French designs or Blackburns look like beauty queens :help:

Hubert

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Dave J said:

I picked one up at Telford last year. Saved me a bucket load in shipping! 

Agreed there, Greg Cooper, HPH rep lives 10 miles away.  I just drive over...   And his prices can’t be beat.   I’ve seen the B-36 being sold by mainstream retailers for twice what I paid for mine. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
8 hours ago, HubertB said:

What is this horrible contraption above the wings :wtf: ?

I know the C-47s still serving are utility work-horses, and that re-engining the old bird is sometimes absolutely necessary ... But THIS makes interwar French designs or Blackburns look like beauty queens :help:

Hubert

Hubert, that is an utter abomination! A company DARED to replace P&W’s beautiful radials with those hideous contrivances that actually burn lamp oil for fuel!  A stake was driven clean through her healthy hearts to destroy her soul and create a monster. 

I’m devastated

• Like 3

• Administrators

They always said the only replacement for a DC-3 is another DC-3.

The only modern aircraft that even comes came to kocking the old DC-3 off it's pedestal was the Cessna Caravan. But as good as those were, they were expensive, only had one engine, and like all modern stuff, not built to last like the old aircraft were. How many Caravans will still be flying in 60 years?  I'd say none.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I forgot, didn't the RCAF use one as a trainer for the F-104 and they stuck that Pinocchio nose on it? Or was the Germans?

Yes, Carl back in the day they had 2 of them, Pinocchio, and Dolly's Folly, both were stationed at CFB Cold Lake in the mid '70's and yest they trained the radar ops for the '104 pilots, I got to fly in Pinocchio on the 'Milk Run' to CFB Edmonton ( Namao) a couple times, just had to go to AME , and put your name on the sheet, and be on time..... and yes Buffalo flies 8 DC-3's they were converteed from C 47's and they are restoring another one that is sitting in Montreal right now, for the D Day celebrations later this year.... Mikey is doing a whole set of daily videos, that are kind of fun.....

16458300561_c87ef21414_b.jpg

672213bda7d6692ecb676c22af861fc2.jpg

16458300561_c87ef21414_b.jpg

• Like 1