The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

DN Models Lancaster Paint Mask set (Canopy and Windows)

JeroenPeters

• Administrators

1/32 Paint Mask Set for
Avro Lancaster  B Mk.I
(Canopy and Windows)
DN Models
Catalogue #32/827-028
Available from 
DN Models for $21,99

lanc_window10.jpg 

lanc_window0.jpg 

Introduction
Here’s a look at a must have, if you are planning to build the Hong Kong Models Lancaster. This is an easy statement to make, since nobody takes pleasure in hand cutting the masks for this huge greenhouse. This set is the second set that is available for this kit. The other being the insignia and numbers mask set: available hereand our review here. In my opinion the full insignia and numbers mask set is a must have too, since using decals on a model this size is something you should try to avoid. 

lanc_window2.jpg

lanc_window1.jpg

The set
I’m sure brands like Montex, Maketar and Eduard will release their own mask sets for this kit, but I doubt they will include masking for the inside of the glazing. This however is a necessity since the inside of the canopy framing (for instance) is a different colour than the outside. HK Models tells you to mask the outside of the canopy, spray the interior colour (black or interior green) and then spray your camo over that, so when looking inside your model, you’ll see the first sprayed colour (black or interior green). Yes, this is one way to go about it, BUT there are two reasons not to follow this road. First: you’ll end up with a shiny interior colour. Second: you’ll lack the idea of the interior canopy framing. Mind you: this already is a weakness with the HK Models kit! The Wingnut Wings kit will offer an interior frame, but (as far as I could spot at Telford) this will all be square framing. The real thing had three different framing materials. Casted, Round (middle section) and square (wood, rear section).

Conclusion: masking the inside of the canopy, spraying a thick layer of black is a pretty neat solution for creating the illusion of an internal canopy frame. 

The vinyl is easy to lift by bending the paper slightly and using a scalpel and sharp pair of tweezers:

lanc_window5.jpg

lanc_window6.jpg

I use a wooden toothpick to rub the vinyl down properly:

lanc_window3.jpg

Excellent fit:

lanc_window4.jpg

If you’re curious to see the construction of the Lancaster canopy frame, check this.

Below you can see a section of mask on a curved surface. Three of these sections make up the entire contour. Fill the mid section yourself: lanc_window8.jpg

Another thing I like is the material. In my review on the insignia and numbers mask set I wrote about the differences between kabuki paper masks and vinyl masks (like this). For very rounded surfaces I prefer kabuki paper. However: if the technique is used for strong rounded surfaces to break the mask up in several contour sections, where the modeler needs to apply the mid section himself with fluid mask of masking paper, I prefer vinyl.

Montex mostly supplies black vinyl masks. This has a big disadvantage: you are not able to see through the mask. This sucks, because it’s more difficult to tell whether the mask is positioned well, AND you are not able to tell whether it’s down well. In other words: whether it will allow paint to creep under it. I usually use a wooden toothpick to rub the mask down into the corners. The wooden toochpick won’t damage the mask.

Here's a look at the Cc and Dd sprue with all HK's transparent parts:

lanc_window9.jpg

To sum it up

- This set covers ALL transparent parts in the kit. Gun turrents, fuselage windows, canopy, nose dome, lights. 

- This set includes both internal and external masks for canopy and turrets.

- This is a matted transparent vinyl set.

- The accuracy and fit is excellent.

Verdict

You’d have to be a masochist not to get this set if you plan to build the HK Models Lancaster. I’m sure this set won’t fit the future Wingnut Wings kit, but at the same time I’m sure  DN Models will release a special set for that kit when it arrives.

If you just finished hand masking your canopy… I’m sorry.

PS: check whether your fuselage windows are supposed to be clear, or painted over, like some were.

Very Highly recommended.

Jeroen Peters

Our sincere thanks to DN Models providing this mask set for review. 

lanc_window7.jpg

• Like 2