Jump to content
“LET’S GET WET!” GROUP BUILD STARTS JAN 1, 2023 ×

Thinking about 3d printing a P&W R-985 1/24


CrankyCrafstman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey all

 I'm looking into printing a 1/24 scale P&W R-985 for my 1/24 scale DHC-2 Beaver. I think I can do it, I'm in the test stages right now. If it works I will be able to print it in different scales. Are any of you interested in this?

P&W R-985.pngthis is a snap shot of the 3D model. I won't be doing the spark plug wires and other tubes, basically just the main parts. I plan on using small Albion tubing for the push rod tubes.

Ron G 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did you design this one, Ron ? 
I stalled on my own design, at the cylinder design stage. Anyway, I am interested in a 1/32 version, and have the printer to print it. I also know for sure that Lukasz of Lukgraph was looking for one R-985 design.

Hubert

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No I  found it on the net. It wasn't a STL file so I  have to basically redo it in Rhino so that I can separate all the surfaces into individual models, that way I can print it as individual parts that I can assemble with CA glue or put all the individual models together as an assembly then print it as one part. 

 I'm basically at the beginning of this. My son is actually doing the cad work because I don't know how to use Rhino. I'm a retired Unigraphics NX user, but I don't have UG anymore and its way to expensive to purchase a copy $10,000 to $15,000!!!! That's way be on my means. So I'm having my son show me how to use Rhino. Next I  have to get a desktop setup because it won't run on my little laptop. Worst part is it's going to infringe on my modeling time.

Ron G 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found the file on Trimble's site.

Uploaded to Fusion 360's cloud. Exploded view below.

image.thumb.png.7f0645f529904841a49e7695cae76f8f.png

You can make this file into tidy sub assemblies easily. If you convert to stl, you'll lose that ability unless you take it into meshmixer and cut it along planes.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, sluggo said:

Found the file on Trimble's site.

Uploaded to Fusion 360's cloud. Exploded view below.

image.thumb.png.7f0645f529904841a49e7695cae76f8f.png

You can make this file into tidy sub assemblies easily. If you convert to stl, you'll lose that ability unless you take it into meshmixer and cut it along planes.

 

 

 

I've already got it into an STL format. Since it's not my property I won't be giving out the STL file, don't want any legal problems. I will be selling the printed models, it my take a while my printer is on it's last legs, need new one and it's $4,000.00 bucks!

Ron G 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Second print was also a flop :( The file if tge engine has ALOT! of discrepancies in it that make it almost impossible to print. My son has been working on it, but he doesn't have the CAD modeling experience that I have. So I need to learn how to run Rhino, since thats the cad program my son has, and delve into it and see if I can fix it or if I have to remodel it. So project is on hold till I can resolve this issue. Sorry

Ron G 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, biggtim said:

Nice one! I just have the little Photon, but it works very well.

Yeah, when it works it prints super smooth parts, has a very fine resolution, that is when it works. We're having trouble with it right know, tge resin is sticking to the print platform (it has to in order to start the print). That's why were thinking about getting the new model, but like I said it's $4,000 bucks + and we can't swing at the moment.

Ron G 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Yeah, when it works it prints super smooth parts, has a very fine resolution, that is when it works. We're having trouble with it right know, tge resin is sticking to the print platform (it has to in order to start the print). That's why were thinking about getting the new model, but like I said it's $4,000 bucks + and we can't swing at the moment.

Ron G 

I've heard on the forums that a lot of people have had a similar problem with the Photons, but I haven't had anything stick to mine so far that I couldn't pop off pretty easily. Though, obviously, the larger the contact area, the harder it is to pop off. I'd be interested in trying this engine myself, just for practice. I'll have a look for the file on Trimble that sluggo mentioned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, biggtim said:

I've heard on the forums that a lot of people have had a similar problem with the Photons, but I haven't had anything stick to mine so far that I couldn't pop off pretty easily. Though, obviously, the larger the contact area, the harder it is to pop off. I'd be interested in trying this engine myself, just for practice. I'll have a look for the file on Trimble that sluggo 

As I said the file has alot of descripencys in it. Outside things attached to inside things holes or gaps that aren't supposed to be there, etc., etc. So try it at your own risk. It can be fixed, but it will take alot of work and a huge amount of time.

Ron G 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Ron, I’d be interested in at least four 1/24 copies. I have some 1930s Canadian bushplanes I want to scratchbuild.

Im 1/32, we have KittyHawk’s engine from their Kingfisher kit.  It’s a pretty decent model of that engine. 

Hey Ernie 

 It my be awhile, as I have to rebuild the cad model, and I have to learn a new, to me, cad system Rhino inorder to do it. Yes the Kittyhawk R-985 is a very nice model of this engine.

Ron G 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...